Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 107
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    this is all placebo b.s., as are most threads about battery life. there isn't going to be any noticeable improvement from this update w/out turning off data.

    in fact, most people are going to experience terrible battery life if they live in an area with spotty data coverage and use aim with any regularity. nothing in 1.2 will fix either of those issues.
    BS. My usage is consistent throughout the day, pre-1.2 I'd have to plug in around 6pm or 7pm(around 12 hours off the charger). Since I installed the leaked 1.2, my usage hasn't changed, yet my battery life has improved, haven't had to plug in until I go to sleep, around 10pm or 11pm. Optimizing code can help battery life tremendously, which, if you paid attention when 1.2 was leaked, literally thousands of files on the phone were modified/optimized.
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    the only reason WiFi improves battery life is because the Pre drops the WiFi connection whenever it goes into idle. Continuous usage of the Pre with WiFi enabled will drain your battery rapidly.
    Again, nothing but BS. WiFi is far more efficient from a power standpoint than any 3G, EVDO or GSM alike. When I'm at home, I run WiFi with NoDoze running and Data Usage set to Off, so the WiFi isn't turned off when it's in standby, and like I said, I'm not having to plug in until I go to bed. When I'm at work, I'm using EVDO.
  2. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Since I installed the leaked 1.2, my usage hasn't changed, yet my battery life has improved
    do you live in an area with perfect data coverage? do you run aim all day?
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    do you live in an area with perfect data coverage? do you run aim all day?
    Both. Aim and Gtalk are always running.
  4. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Both. Aim and Gtalk are always running.
    you may want to read this:

    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...e-webos-2.html
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    In the evening, I use my phone quite often, and don't want it to constantly sign on and off of AIM and Gtalk while it switches between EVDO and WiFi, or while WiFi is off, not being signed in to either. I'm well aware of it, but you should also know that WiFi drains less power than EVDO, so when EVDO is disabled, battery life does improve. You're not telling me anything I don't know, nor are you doing anything to further your prior points.
  6. #46  
    Maybe they've optimized IM better? Because it seems to have improved battery life for me as well.
  7. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    WiFi drains less power than EVDO, so when EVDO is disabled, battery life does improve.
    according to the thread I linked to, and common sense when you realize why Palm doesn't make a constant WiFi connection an option, WiFi works fine if your phone is in standby. constant usage with WiFi will drain the battery rapidly. as I already stated, living in an area with spotty data coverage will drain your battery (particularly when AIM is running) since the Pre keeps seeking data regardless of signal strength.

    also, find me where in the 1.2 release doc anything is mentioned about improved battery life
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    according to the thread I linked to, and common sense when you realize why Palm doesn't make a constant WiFi connection an option, WiFi works fine if your phone is in standby. constant usage with WiFi will drain the battery rapidly. as I already stated, living in an area with spotty data coverage will drain your battery (particularly when AIM is running) since the Pre keeps seeking data regardless of signal strength.

    also, find me where in the 1.2 release doc anything is mentioned about improved battery life
    Find me a 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4, or 1.1 doc that says anything about improved battery life. You're in denial. EVDO even in the best coverage areas(like mine) still uses more battery than WiFi, no matter how much you deny it. There is more than enough documentation online about 3G signals versus WiFi, I suggest you google it, as I'm not going to do it for you.
  9. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    There is more than enough documentation online about 3G signals versus WiFi, I suggest you google it, as I'm not going to do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    By leaving nodoz running overnight, you are forcing the Pre to maintain its wifi connection active for no reason. Although wifi drains less battery power than EVDO, leaving the wifi connection running overnight will also drain your battery. The EVDO connection is not draining your battery overnight if your phone is not doing anything.
    yeah you're right
  10. Eyedea28's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #50  
    Funny....the day the update came out, my battery died extremely fast....it could have been from me using my phone a lot to see the new features, but it died quick. The next day, the first day of using my phone for the whole day with the 1.2 patch, my phone seemed to have gotten better battery time. I use my phone to listen to music in my car, watch movies while working, and I'm constantly on the internet or checking Preload, Filecoaster or Preware.

    Anyways, the point of my post is that after I got better battery times, I wanted to get on these boards to see if others were experiencing the same thing. Looks like it's a mixed bag right now with some people agreeing and others saying their battery life is worst.

    Maybe someone should put up a poll?
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Find me a 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4, or 1.1 doc that says anything about improved battery life. You're in denial. EVDO even in the best coverage areas(like mine) still uses more battery than WiFi, no matter how much you deny it. There is more than enough documentation online about 3G signals versus WiFi, I suggest you google it, as I'm not going to do it for you.
    Dude! Since you're trying to convince someone of something you have the burden or proof. Therefore it's YOU who needs to provide the document or link to support your argument.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Dude! Since you're trying to convince someone of something you have the burden or proof. Therefore it's YOU who needs to provide the document or link to support your argument.
    I don't know how much more proof he can provide other than the battery monitor graph. I've never come anywhere close to 20 hours standby, and I'm getting similar results now (though I will admit that I haven't tried using the phone for 20 hours, just using battery monitor's prediction to extrapolate over the rest of the day.)
  13. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know how much more proof he can provide other than the battery monitor graph. I've never come anywhere close to 20 hours standby, and I'm getting similar results now (though I will admit that I haven't tried using the phone for 20 hours, just using battery monitor's prediction to extrapolate over the rest of the day.)
    this sounds about right.

    I don't know why people are so fond of Palm that they want to pretend theyr'e seeing improvements that don't actually exist
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    this sounds about right.

    I don't know why people are so fond of Palm that they want to pretend theyr'e seeing improvements that don't actually exist
    No, I meant, I'm getting similar results to Elysian based on the graph / extrapolation.

    Unfortunately however, I never used batterymonitor on 1.1 to see what kind of drain per hour and estimated battery life it gave me so it's in no way scientific.

    But I've got Data Usage On, Wifi On, GPS On, AIM/Gtalk On, Bluetooth Off, email set to come as it arrives, Twee and FriendsFlow checking every five minutes, and it's telling me a 5% drain per hour with the phone mostly sitting in standby.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/01/2009 at 04:34 PM.
  15. #55  
    Before 1.2 my phone would be charging overnight from 11pm to 8am and it would be at 10% when I put it on the charger, for about 6% /hr. Right now (2:40, but I'll round to 2) my phone is at 83% which goes to about 2.9% /hr. Where's your proof that the update doesn't help the battery life?

    (As a side note, at work my phone is constantly switching between 0-2 bars EVDO and 0-2 bars 1x roaming, WiFi off, GPS on, e-mail set to push)
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    this sounds about right.

    I don't know why people are so fond of Palm that they want to pretend theyr'e seeing improvements that don't actually exist
    I'm not fond of Palm, I have no brand loyalty. I'm fond of facts, and actual results though, something you've thus far been short on.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    I'm not sure about actual battery life during heavy usage, but today after a short session of web browsing, a bunch of texts, and no calls... 10 hours later I'm still hovering 67%.

    If I were to assume that I didn't use the phone at all, that would still give me about 3% battery draw per hour on standby, which seems to be quite a bit better than on 1.1.

    I'm also in a poor coverage area, usually with 0-1 bars (ie I DO drop calls in this area).

    Is this normal for you guys/gals, better, or worse? And is your own battery performance different than on 1.1?
    Me too man. My battery life increased dramatically! Way past 24 hours now.. with the extended 1400 Mugen battery. I'm tickled pink!
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Find me a 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4, or 1.1 doc that says anything about improved battery life. You're in denial. EVDO even in the best coverage areas(like mine) still uses more battery than WiFi, no matter how much you deny it. There is more than enough documentation online about 3G signals versus WiFi, I suggest you google it, as I'm not going to do it for you.
    I don't find that at all. With wifi on I get much less battery life. With it off.. my battery life skyrockets.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I don't find that at all. With wifi on I get much less battery life. With it off.. my battery life skyrockets.
    With it on with Data Usage off? In the past you couldn't turn off Data Usage with WiFi enabled, so you were running an extra radio then.
  20. #60  
    It is better for me. I used to end up with about 45% at the end of the day. Ever since the 1.2 upgrade, I have ended up at about 65%.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions