Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    This thread is really upsetting... am I the ONLY one who's gone from terrible to even-more-terrible since 1.2???

I went from standby battery drain of 10% per hour to between 12-15% per hour... I have GPS off (via GPS toggle), location off, brightness at about 10%, Wifi off when not near a signal... I have a hotmail account as my only email, which does pull every 5 minutes (I need my emails as soon as they come in, and there is no "as they arrive" option with hotmail - I already confirmed with Palm). If I just CHECK my calendar, I'll lose 1-2%. I have spoken to Bell and they are willing to replace my battery (I've only had the phone 2 weeks), but I really hope it doesn't get worse on the switch (I have to wait for the battery to arrive)... I'm told the next step is to get a refurb pre - eghhhhh...
    Are there any battery saving tips for 1.2 or are they still the same? Wifi on..etc???
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDang View Post
    This thread is really upsetting... am I the ONLY one who's gone from terrible to even-more-terrible since 1.2???

I went from standby battery drain of 10% per hour to between 12-15% per hour... I have GPS off (via GPS toggle), location off, brightness at about 10%, Wifi off when not near a signal... I have a hotmail account as my only email, which does pull every 5 minutes (I need my emails as soon as they come in, and there is no "as they arrive" option with hotmail - I already confirmed with Palm). If I just CHECK my calendar, I'll lose 1-2%. I have spoken to Bell and they are willing to replace my battery (I've only had the phone 2 weeks), but I really hope it doesn't get worse on the switch (I have to wait for the battery to arrive)... I'm told the next step is to get a refurb pre - eghhhhh...
    lots and lots of people report that leaving wifi on is best for battery. Counter intuative perhaps but seems to be a popular opinion. Also have you used the no data feature in dialer preferences? Leave wifi on and turn off data (3g) if you haven't already, see if that helps.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Do you turn off GPS and all that? I don't even bother, this is my phone, strictly on EVDO(though I always have 4-5 bars, thanks DFW!), with every battery saving tip completely disregarded
    Nope, everything is left on. I am just extrapolating (33% battery use after 10 hours of light usage/mostly standby), so I may not get that many hours.

Voice calling still drains the battery heavily though.

What or who is DFW?
  5.    #25  

That's really terrible to hear. Perhaps the Pre itself has problems? Hopefully it is just the battery. If that continues I would talk about getting a replacement. Even on 1.1 I was getting about 5% drain I think.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyd1388 View Post
    Are there any battery saving tips for 1.2 or are they still the same? Wifi on..etc???
    I haven't changed any of my settings from 1.1 (everything is left on except for wifi and bluetooth).

I imagine that the ability to choose between only GPS or Google for your locations services may help, one is probably more battery saving than the other, but I haven't touched that myself.
  7. geridh
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    What or who is DFW?
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I was gonna create a thread about this when I got home tonight....

Everyday for the past 2 weeks or so, I've had my phone charging all night and day prior to going on my runs. I say runs cuz I run 2 miles on a treadmill [exactly 30 minutes] then 3.5 miles [about 45-50 minutes] on this trail near where I live.

During both runs I am using Music Player [Remixed] to listen to my favorite music.

Again, I have done this for 2 weeks and every time when i was done with the second run, I had less than 35% battery left.

Today was the first time I used it since upgrading to 1.2. When my runs were done, I had 71% battery left.

This was about 90 minutes of use!! Yes, 90 mins used to consume 2/3rds of my battery playing music.

Now, it's more reasonable at about 29% for 90 mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    lots and lots of people report that leaving wifi on is best for battery. Counter intuative perhaps but seems to be a popular opinion. Also have you used the no data feature in dialer preferences? Leave wifi on and turn off data (3g) if you haven't already, see if that helps.
    Thanks for the tip... I will definately try that... I think Hotmail is the killer though... it's acting all weird... I took it down to 30 minutes, and got only a 2% drain per hour... then took it back to every 5 minutes and it's only a 6% drain... very average for all of you, but groundbreaking for me! I will try and do the data feature thing you suggest and maybe that'll help me a bit too.

Thanks Windzilla!
    At first it was faster drain, once I unclicked the google gps it got better than before. I'm at 53% and it's been off the charger since yesterday morning @ 8:30 am. I didn't use it all that much, a few phone calls, tweed and some browsing.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Thanks for the tip... I will definately try that... I think Hotmail is the killer though... it's acting all weird... I took it down to 30 minutes, and got only a 2% drain per hour... then took it back to every 5 minutes and it's only a 6% drain... very average for all of you, but groundbreaking for me! I will try and do the data feature thing you suggest and maybe that'll help me a bit too.

Thanks Windzilla!
    yep, having it sync every 5 minutes will kill your battery preyty fast. Having AIM off has also helped quite a bit more than I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    I did notice a difference in standby, when at the end of the day i still had 30ish % left.. as opposed to the about high teens i usually end with.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    this is all placebo b.s., as are most threads about battery life. there isn't going to be any noticeable improvement from this update w/out turning off data.

in fact, most people are going to experience terrible battery life if they live in an area with spotty data coverage and use aim with any regularity. nothing in 1.2 will fix either of those issues.
    Can someone explain to me how having Wi-Fi turned on helps your battery life?
    Wifi uses much less power to get a signal than 3G. So if you can always use WiFi. Its not as much of a difference on the pre as say a BB Bold because the Pre only uses the wifi when the screen is on.

On my BB bold, if i have a wifi signal i can get 3-4 days out of it. On 3g i barely get 1 day (worse battery than pre).

Any reason why the Pre turns off the wifi when the screen is off?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryrabin View Post
    Any reason why the Pre turns off the wifi when the screen is off?
    the only reason WiFi improves battery life is because the Pre drops the WiFi connection whenever it goes into idle. Continuous usage of the Pre with WiFi enabled will drain your battery rapidly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    speaking of GPS (and i know im off topic here)...

today was the first time i needed to use gps so i turned it on, entered my name (dont remember having to do that in the past?), etc. and after i was done i went into the Location services option and... omg! the only option there was to turn auto locate on and off! and no on/off for gps! is this something thats supposed to be ths way in 1.2, or is it just me? after that however, the phone did become cool soon after and again the battery hovered just as well on standby.

im just wandering about the "missing" gps on/off...

ty all...
    They moved GPS to the pull down menu of that location settings screen. It's under the "locate me using"
    i'm in standby mode now, wifi off, data on, only google service on (autolocate off), no IM. charged fully and haven't used phone in last hour so battery is nice and cool...

2.05% drain per hour!!!! 46 hours remaining! Nice!

But I only get this with high battery and standby. Otherwise it goes back to 4% DPH in standby like 1.1 or 15-25% with moderate use...which is worse i think than 1.1.

Edit: after I posted this, came down to 1.75% & 54 hours remaining.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    this is all placebo b.s., as are most threads about battery life. there isn't going to be any noticeable improvement from this update w/out turning off data.

in fact, most people are going to experience terrible battery life if they live in an area with spotty data coverage and use aim with any regularity. nothing in 1.2 will fix either of those issues.
    I may have agreed with you in the past on this issue, but I think there are some real, stark examples of improved battery life going on, at least in terms of standby and non-data use (which makes sense, as these areas are most able to be improved).
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    at least in terms of standby and non-data use (which makes sense, as these areas are most able to be improved).
    I already said this

The Pre's battery life is great if you don't really use it as a smartphone
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast