Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a new Sprint customer and just switched from AT&T/iPhone yesterday (issues which I won't go into here but let's just say the phone wasn't cutting it for me.)

So I bought my phone at Radio Shack yesterday since they were giving the instant rebate on site, leaving me with paying 149.99 for the phone (I wasn't aware Best Buy was also doing this or I probably would have gone there since that is where I purchased and then returned my iPhone at.) Anyways...

So I come home with the phone yesterday and there is a dead pixel on the screen above "PALM" when the phone is booting up...although it's a very dull dead pixel. I take the phone into a dark closet to really check it out and then I'm greeted with HORRIBLE light leakage coming out from behind the LCD panel where the panel meets the black piano finish of the phone (all the way around the LCD panel)...it's just horrible!

So I took it back and exchanged it, the second phone had the same problem. Took it back and exchanged it again. This time the phone had 3 really bright, HUGE dead pixels on the boot up screen, I ddin't even go any further and went back to the store and exchanged it for the original phone I originally bought...they still had it back in the back and it was the best phone out of the 3.

What I can't understand is how on God's green earth, could a company be letting phones out of the production line in such horrible conditions? There is no reason to have light leakage if they seal the phones correctly, they are obviously not doing this and don't even get me started on the dead pixel issue...I've never had this problem before with any other phone. According to Best Buy, the retail price of this phone is 749.99, although Radio Shack insists it's 599.99-either way a phone that cost this much money (retail wise) should not have such poor build quality and bad LCD screens like this. I've had phones before that cost 20 bucks that didn't have all these problems...there is just no excuse for this at all!

As long as I keep the screen brightness down to the lowest setting (which I usually do) because most of the time when I use my phone I'm either in my apartment which I keep dimly lit or I'm in my car at night (I work nights so I sleep during the days), the light leakage is minimal. But I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed with this, I mean I left the iPhone to come to this?

I think in general most companies these days are getting really cheap and lazy when it comes to building their products, they are building them in the MASSES and quality control is being ignored completely just to push out quota and it's not fair to us consumers who are the ones who are using them.

I'm going to be forwarding this message to PALM directly and letting them know how disgusted I am with this, if they are trying to beat the competition they are not doing a very good job at it (as far as devices go and how they are built!)
    SPRINT...the carrier I never thought I'd switch to (and didn't lol)!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    So until you locked yourself in a closet with no light, this wasn't a problem right?

Just come back out of the closet, and you won't even notice it.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I have two dead pixels.. one I notice all the time and one I don't. I tried returning it, and went through 4 or 5 other pres before I just decided to keep the one I have. The light from the side of the screen doesn't bother me. I notice it every once and awhile. Be glad you don't have oreo.
    Yeah I do agree that the build quality of the pre is horrible. Palm didn't spend nearly enough time developing/testing the hardware aspect of the phone, they tried to get the device out the door ASAP to avoid bankruptcy. I have about 7-10 tiny dead pixels. I was upset at first, but I can only see them on boot screen, and don't really care that they are there. Other than that I got no problems with the pre, this is my original phone that I got over 2 months ago.

I'm just happy that I finally got my rebate check 2 months later LOL.
    I think the phone is great; and in all reality I will get the next, latest and greatest when it comes out. So I don't care much... The phone rocks!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    So until you locked yourself in a closet with no light, this wasn't a problem right?

I didn't lock myself in a closet, just closed the door. It's the best way to test out this kinda stuff. But if you are in a dark room or outside in the dark, in a car at night you see it, it's totally unacceptable. However like I stated, I keep my brightness down to the lowest setting, keeping it that way makes it hard to see the defects. But one shouldn't have to do that to solve the problem.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I think you should asked for a cheap 25 or 50 dollar phone. why are you taking the time to look for problems. when there isn't any. i still have my first phone when the pre first came out. i drop it and got a scratch by the power button. i mini usb door broke off. but guess what the phone works fine no dead pixel or what ever the ****** is leakage. If you having all these problems. its not the people who made its you. you dont know how to work or take care of the thing.
    Sorry to disappoint most, but light leakage in LCD's is a common problem. With tv's to phones.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    oki guys, you guys want too much from companys. Its a dead pixel, big deal i have like a couple of them, who cares! You guys are fantasizing of something that is the "Perfect Phone". Just like humans there will never be a " Perfect Phone".
    palm pre ;the perfect, not so perfect phone ha ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by D3on View Post
    I think you should asked for a cheap 25 or 50 dollar phone. why are you taking the time to look for problems. when there isn't any. i still have my first phone when the pre first came out. i drop it and got a scratch by the power button. i mini usb door broke off. but guess what the phone works fine no dead pixel or what ever the ****** is leakage. If you having all these problems. its not the people who made its you. you dont know how to work or take care of the thing.
    I think you should learn to type complete sentences and run spell check before posting!

Any tech geek/electronic nut always looks at their electronics in a very detailed way. Taking the phone into a dark closet was a quicker way of checking then waiting for it to be dark outside and testing it that way. The problem would have been noticed then, why does it matter how I did it? You obviously have zero interest in the things you buy that you are going to be using on a daily basis to make comments like that. Furthermore what's this about "you don't know how to work or take care of the thing?" HUH? I didn't make the phone, I just bought it, it came out of the box like that! What exactly did I do to it to open up the box, have dead pixels on my screen and major light leakage?

Go back to myspace...

And for the other people saying "light leakage is normal on LCD products", that is a total and complete crock of bs! My iPhone did not have light leakage, my two 47" LCD tv's do not have light leakage, my GPS does not have light leakage...shall I go on? Please stay in school, sounds like most of you will accept anything regardless of the quality just to say "I have that!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    And for the other people saying "light leakage is normal on LCD products", that is a total and complete crock of bs! My iPhone did not have light leakage, my two 47" LCD tv's do not have light leakage, my GPS does not have light leakage...shall I go on? Please stay in school, sounds like most of you will accept anything regardless of the quality just to say "I have that!"
    Yay! Anecdotal evidence time! I love anecdotal evidence.

Well, lets see. My iPod has horrible light-leakage when I use it in the dark. And that's from Apple, the gods of awesome-design. You know what though? I don't care. I never posted long-winded diatribes bashing the company because of this really, really, really insignificant oversight. Instead, I enjoyed the device for all of its benefits over the available competition, not for some trendy fad. I felt no hostility to others who said that this obvious flaw was totally acceptable. But that's just me, with my anecdotal evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Seriously...I, plus 5 of my friends have Pres....two are launch day and the only consistant prolbme is 2 of them had the battery restarting when closed hard issue. I haven't noticed a dead pixel on mine, my gf has 1, but can only see on boot screen.

I think the damn phone is no different than any other phone.

Seriously..spend some time on crackberry, Macrumors etc....all phones have a bunch of people complaining about this and that.
    Can someone post a picture or link to a video of what they mean by light leakage? Try as hard as I can I can't really see anything out of the ordinary on my screen. Thanks.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Can someone post a picture or link to a video of what they mean by light leakage? Try as hard as I can I can't really see anything out of the ordinary on my screen. Thanks.
    You need to go in the closet and close the door. Then see if there is little white lines on the edge of the screen where you see some of the back light.

Be careful when you're coming out.
    ahahah
    There will always be light leakage issues with phones that contain LCDs, but the Pre definitely has more light leakage problems than most phones. It is especially problematic on the bottom of the screen, hence why 1.2 firmware changed the test patterns to hide the bottom of the screen. I just wish I still had my first Pre - it had light leakage on the bottom but I could only see it when loading Pandora or the all-green test pattern, which is not a big deal. My current Pre is far worse with the bottom left corner having major bleeding that is almost always noticeable ;p.

Trodecke, one easy test for light leakage is to look at the bottom of the screen when loading Pandora - it is quite noticeable if you have the issue.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have 8 or 9 dead pixels and a little leakage at the bottom of the screen I don't really notice it unless I'm viewing something black or if my Pre is rebooting. Is there a minimum number of deads to get it replaced? Is it really such a big deal? I cant really see them when casually using the pre.

Correction: I think those are stuck pixels
    Last edited by zebrazed; 10/01/2009 at 02:20 AM.
    I am still considering getting a Pre or a Hero. I have an iPhone 3GS, but does this light leakage affect usability, screen quality etc, or is it just that you see light coming through a seam on the phone? I like the features of the Pre and iPhone is getting boring after 2.5 years of owning all 3 and dealing with AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post

As sarcastic as this response sounds, I agree with it 100%.

I also have light leakage around my LCD, but since I can only see if I'm in a dark room with a light colored background and the backlight turned up higher than I'd normally keep it, I couldn't possibly care less.

Dead pixels suck, no doubt about it. However my fiance's first Pre (which was returned due to a serious failure), her second Pre, and my only Pre are completely free of dead/stuck pixels.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast