Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    Hey you guys can make fun of me all you want but I work hard for my money and my toys and I don't expect to get faulty products. Am I the only person who uses their phone in dark enviroments a lot? I'm sorry but the light leakage between the LCD and case is absurd and sticks out like a soar thumb. If this acceptable to you then more power to you, but it's not to me. The "closet" trick was just an example of testing out the quality of the LCD and the build quality, most people in the 'know' know that the best way to test out LCD screens is by going into a dark room because if there are any issues you will see them at that point. As far as taking a TV into a closet...don't be so stupid! I used the closet test because it was still daylight outside any my house obviously had sunlight coming into the rooms, thus I went into the closet instead of waiting for it to get dark outside...not sure why this is so funny to some of you. You can't take a 46" TV into a closet so you gotta work with what you got. As I said before, it seems a lot of you just accept anything regardless of it's quality, that's what seperates me from you...I have high standards...don't hate because you accept lower quality items, that's your issue not mine. Oh yeah regarding the light leakage again...this problem is easily preventable if the phone was sealed correctly when it was built (between the LCD panel and the case that is surrounding it. Don't blame me because Palm lacks brains!

Again, if you can go out and buy a cheap 50 dollar phone that has LCD screens in them and not have these issues, then they shouldn't be happening on an expensive smartphone-you can not argue this fact and if you do it just shows your lack of quality.

Again, google my complaints...I'm not the only one saying this. Enjoy your 10 plus dead pixels all of your screens boys and girls and that extra night light you get with all that light leakage.

P.S. Someone earlier in this thread accused me of "attacking" others who are trying to help me? LOL who was trying to help me? Some myspace tween replied with broken sentences accusing me of not "knowing hot to operate my device/take care of it!" Did he not read my post? I just bought the phone and opened it, it was already like that! Such a stupid response deserves flame being thrown at it, sorry if you don't agree.
    My $2800 Dell Laptop has light leakage. My LCD TV has light leakage. Light leakage is not a big deal. I'd rather have that then dead pixels. I could have taken my laptop back and got the screen replaced.. but instead I kept it and it's been working perfect for 4 years now. Thats a 1920x1200 17" laptop screen.
    I am glad I do not feel the need to look for a problem on my phone only to complain when I find one.

If products were built to your expectations not a single one of us would be able to afford these phones.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    BTW bro...you got many more then 1 dead pixel lol sorry to tell you. You need to look more closely at your screen. The other ones are very dim but they are there none the less. I would say from my count you got close to 10 of em'!
    Actually, the other speckles are the remnants of stuck pixels on my $400 Canon SX-10IS.
    At 2 second exposure a lot of stuck pixels show up and not all of
    them are completely masked by the camera's software based dark frame subtraction routine.
    All consumer level digital cameras have this problem. In fact most of them
    have some significant number of permanently stuck pixels on the CCD or CMOS sensor right
    from the factory. They create a firmware map which masks those pixels out with color
    info from surrounding pixels. Yet another type of device, with non-perfect manufacturing
    tolerances, that I'm sure you'd be unhappy with.
    My Pre only has one stuck pixel.

And for whatever it's worth there's no such thing as a "dim" stuck pixel on an LCD screen.
    It's either on (at a specific color, or off completely). Sometimes a couple pixels
    next to each other are on at the same time, which makes for a different composite color.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 10/04/2009 at 01:57 PM.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by scott091981 View Post
    I am glad I do not feel the need to look for a problem on my phone only to complain when I find one.

If products were built to your expectations not a single one of us would be able to afford these phones.
    Dude, the phone retails for almost 800 bucks! How much more does it need to cost to have a decent LCD screen in it? I see notebooks with 15.6" screens for less then that, that have 0 dead pixels in them. Come on, you guys are just asking to be taken to the pea patch.

If I ever open a store I'll be sure to invite all of you to the opening lol.
    SPRINT...the carrier I never thought I'd switch to (and didn't lol)!
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Actually, the other speckles are the remnants of stuck pixels on my $400 Canon SX-10IS.
    At 2 second exposure a lot of stuck pixels show up and not all of
    them are completely masked by the camera's software based dark frame subtraction routine.
    All consumer level digital cameras have this problem. In fact most of them
    have some significant number of permanently stuck pixels on the CCD or CMOS sensor right
    from the factory. They create a firmware map which masks those pixels out with color
    info from surrounding pixels. Yet another type of device, with non-perfect manufacturing
    tolerances, that I'm sure you'd be unhappy with.
    My Pre only has one stuck pixel.

And for whatever it's worth there's no such thing as a "dim" stuck pixel on an LCD screen.
    It's either on (at a specific color, or off completely). Sometimes a couple pixels
    next to each other are on at the same time, which makes for a different composite color.

ian
    Stuck pixels on a camera??? I've never heard of this. If you actually have dead/stuck pixels on the chip (I have no idea what you are talking about) but if you are saying that whatever is processing the photo has dead/stuck pixels on it and you should have swapped that out, that means that every pic u take has dead pixels on it???...that is not acceptable and no, I wouldn't accept that either-SURPRISE!

As far as "dim" stuck pixel, not sure what you are talking about? I never used such terms and if I did it was a typo.

Man, suckers are truly born every minute. I'm sorry for you all.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    My $2800 Dell Laptop has light leakage. My LCD TV has light leakage. Light leakage is not a big deal. I'd rather have that then dead pixels. I could have taken my laptop back and got the screen replaced.. but instead I kept it and it's been working perfect for 4 years now. Thats a 1920x1200 17" laptop screen.
    I guess I just have high taste, there is no way I would spend that kind of money on a notebook and have light leakage. That is not common, I've owned about 10 notebooks so far in my life and have never had that, sorry that is not common bro.

Hey go be a Mac Book Pro at Apple, I hear they have dead pixels all over their screens and refuse to exchange for their customers. I guess you would be happy with a 4K leaking brick? LOL
    Dude, the phone retails for almost 800 bucks! How much more does it need to cost to have a decent LCD screen in it? I see notebooks with 15.6" screens for less then that, that have 0 dead pixels in them. Come on, you guys are just asking to be taken to the pea patch.

If I ever open a store I'll be sure to invite all of you to the opening lol.
    So your going to compare retail price of the phone to the street price of a notebook. Not 1 person on this entire forum paid $800 for this phone
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Stuck pixels on a camera??? I've never heard of this. If you actually have dead/stuck pixels on the chip (I have no idea what you are talking about) but if you are saying that whatever is processing the photo has dead/stuck pixels on it and you should have swapped that out, that means that every pic u take has dead pixels on it???...that is not acceptable and no, I wouldn't accept that either-SURPRISE!

As far as "dim" stuck pixel, not sure what you are talking about? I never used such terms and if I did it was a typo.

Actually hot pixels on high end SLR camera is very common. Most of the time, a few dead pixels can be fixed by software when converting to JPEG internally by the camera. Also, in low light the camera can pick up many more hot pixels, because the noise ratio become much higher.

I think by dim stuck pixel, he meant that it only show up when light is low, so the noise becomes a larger part of the visible range. So the bottom line is that most of the camera users, event professional don't bother with these unless the number of hot pixels are too high or become visible in normal light.

If you are interested, you can check out some photos taken at almost pitch black night using 45 minutes or higher exposure time, the number of hot pixels will be much more, but people expects that, because that's at the limit of the electronic.

A dead pixel on a screen is a little different. If I see a hot pixel on the screen with a night scene in a movie, I would not be happy with that. The reason is that the screen in the end result we see, there can be no post processing or masking done to fix it. And screen pixel density is far less than image sensor's, because camera has higher resolution than most monitors, and it is on typically a die that's mush smaller than 1 cm^2.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    SUPRISE!
    Similar defects can also occur on CCD or CMOS image sensors in digital cameras. In these devices, defective pixels fail to sense light levels correctly, whereas defective pixels in LCDs fail to reproduce light levels correctly.
    Defective pixel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So am I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    If you own a digital camera, then you are already accepting it
    and didn't even know it. The dead or stuck-on sensor locations are
    being masked out in the final image by the software in the camera, by
    cloning color information from nearby sensors.
    If you take a long exposure with the lens covered (a scene that should be black)
    you'll discover even more CCD sensor locations which fire spontaneously
    (same pixels, same color almost every shot). Many digital cameras will do a
    double exposure to try to mask this out. You shoot your 2 second shot,
    they take one exposure of your scene, then immediately take a second pure
    black exposure of the same length to identify all the stuck pixels, and
    subtract the second image from the first. It tends to leave little black holes
    in the image that most people never notice. It also means that
    a 2 second exposure actually takes at least 4 seconds to take.

Basically if you spent a lot of time looking for flaws in consumer
    electronic devices you *will* find them everywhere. Most people are a
    lot happier, not knowing.

ian
    This thread is ridiculous.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123