Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    ....but does this light leakage affect usability, screen quality etc, or is it just that you see light coming through a seam on the phone?
    Unless you had a really unusual case of incredibly bad light leakage, then no. It would not have any effect on usability of any kind. As you can probably see from the OP, myself, and at least one other in this thread, it's not normally even something that can be detected unless you're in the dark. The only time I have ever noticed it is when texting in bed, when I should really be asleep anyway.
    I think that if your paying for a phone (and plan), it should be returned till you get one to your satisfaction. Why in the world should anyone just "put up" with something that isn't right? I know major retailers won't exchange LCD tv's or monitors unless you have 7 or more dead pixels, and I think that's wrong. It's like buying a new car then when you get home and play with it's navigation, the screen is all messed up. Would you just deal with it? I wouldn't. The same goes for a phone. But in all fairness....I sweep my phones right there in the store for any and all defections before I hand them my debit card. This way, I know it's to my satisfaction before leaving. If the store gives me crap about it, I just move on to another store.
    As great as the iPhone quality has been, I have had the original, the 3G and now the 3GS. Both my 3G and 3GS had eventually accumulated a good amount of dust under the screen. I was told by Apple that they had seen quite a few cases and to return it to get a new one as this was due to a poor seal of the screen. They gladly fixed it, but no phonhe is perfect.

I am not rough with my phones at all and in fact always have the iPhone protected. I review a lot of cases on my site zollotech.com (shameless plug) and think the dust problem is from poor quality. Keep in mind all our phones are usually assembled in China by mass production methods.

My uncle actually has the same dust issue with his 3GS and when it gets worse will exchange it as I had to.

As far as moving to the pre, as long as the screen works well with touch and continues to function properly I really have no issues with light leakage in the dark.

I am debating between the HTC Hero on OCT 11th and/or the Pre. This is a tough one and maybe I will just have my wife get one while I get the other...

I guess I will have to try them both at the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    Trodecke, one easy test for light leakage is to look at the bottom of the screen when loading Pandora - it is quite noticeable if you have the issue.
    Thanks. I just did that, though not in the closet thankfully, and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Just got a 2nd refurb today. First was a gaped wobbly mess and I refused to take it. The one I got today is TIGHT but has light leak on the left and right side but barely noticeable when dark screens are up. Good luck getting a perfect Pre. It's a gamble but little to no oreo is a keeper for me.. .
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I am still considering getting a Pre or a Hero. I have an iPhone 3GS, but does this light leakage affect usability, screen quality etc, or is it just that you see light coming through a seam on the phone? I like the features of the Pre and iPhone is getting boring after 2.5 years of owning all 3 and dealing with AT&T.
    For actual usage, even in the car at night, it's *totally* irrelevant.
    All it means is that that black point isn't truly 100% black, which contrary
    to the OP's recollection is true of virtually every LCD device. I'll bet he
    could light his closet just fine with his widescreen LCD TV displaying the
    blackest black image it was capable of. If you're
    actually displaying anything on the screen other than pure black,
    you won't notice, even locked in a dark closet.

In case anyone is really dying to see how much leakage their pre or
    any smart phone shows, load this web page.
    http://thud.us/black.htm
    Of course don't come whining to me when you discover a stuck pixel
    that you never realized (or cared about) before.

Also try it on your expensive LCD computer monitor in full screen mode (F11)
    with the lights out.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 10/02/2009 at 12:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator352 View Post
    I think that if your paying for a phone (and plan), it should be returned till you get one to your satisfaction. Why in the world should anyone just "put up" with something that isn't right? I know major retailers won't exchange LCD tv's or monitors unless you have 7 or more dead pixels, and I think that's wrong. It's like buying a new car then when you get home and play with it's navigation, the screen is all messed up. Would you just deal with it? I wouldn't. The same goes for a phone. But in all fairness....I sweep my phones right there in the store for any and all defections before I hand them my debit card. This way, I know it's to my satisfaction before leaving. If the store gives me crap about it, I just move on to another store.
    I agree with you, but if there was a industry standard 0 dead pixels on any LCD the cost would be MUCH higher. Its just how it is. When you mass produce something, there's sure to be variations, especially when theres ~1.5 million pixels in a 320x480 screen
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    I agree with you, but if there was a industry standard 0 dead pixels on any LCD the cost would be MUCH higher. Its just how it is. When you mass produce something, there's sure to be variations, especially when theres ~1.5 million pixels in a 320x480 screen

You hit the nail on the head. There are "acceptable margins" in all forms of manufacturing. The tighter the margin, the more expensive the product.

Unless you are a screaming jerk, best buy won't let you return and LCD monitor with less than 3 stuck pixels, and last time I looked, Newegg.com (which is a HIGHLY reputable merchant) won't accept returns for stuck pixels with less than 9.

Plus, for most people, this whole light leakage issue is a farce. Woopy-do! If you look at your pre in the dark with the backlight on high you can see light bleeding around the edge of the screen having NO effect what so ever on functionality.

Why would anyone even care?
    On my third pre no leakage/pixel issues on any but I've done tests on each one, and if they had I would have returned them.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow View Post
    I agree that there should be a certain level of tolerance of most electronics especially when mass produced. A stuck dead pixel or 2 in a corner would be acceptable for me. I'm talkin 3,4,5 or more dead ones right in the middle of the screen should be unecceptable for anyone. Especially on a 600 dollar phone. A little light leakage to me is acceptable to a degree, but if it interferes with the functionality, back it goes. On something of high value such as an expensive phone or an LED LCD HDTV, I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks for better quality control and know out of the box it will be right. It's better than spending a crap load on something and it be messed up from the get go without being able to return it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The LCD QA specs I have seen are based on the number of dead pixels *and* their proximity to one another. So 3 dead pixels might be acceptable if they're spread out, but if they're close, that could cause the screen to be rejected. Based on the reports I've seen here, I think Palm has set lower QA standards for the screens used on the Pre.
  12.    #32  
    Hey you guys can make fun of me all you want but I work hard for my money and my toys and I don't expect to get faulty products. Am I the only person who uses their phone in dark enviroments a lot? I'm sorry but the light leakage between the LCD and case is absurd and sticks out like a soar thumb. If this acceptable to you then more power to you, but it's not to me. The "closet" trick was just an example of testing out the quality of the LCD and the build quality, most people in the 'know' know that the best way to test out LCD screens is by going into a dark room because if there are any issues you will see them at that point. As far as taking a TV into a closet...don't be so stupid! I used the closet test because it was still daylight outside any my house obviously had sunlight coming into the rooms, thus I went into the closet instead of waiting for it to get dark outside...not sure why this is so funny to some of you. You can't take a 46" TV into a closet so you gotta work with what you got. As I said before, it seems a lot of you just accept anything regardless of it's quality, that's what seperates me from you...I have high standards...don't hate because you accept lower quality items, that's your issue not mine. Oh yeah regarding the light leakage again...this problem is easily preventable if the phone was sealed correctly when it was built (between the LCD panel and the case that is surrounding it. Don't blame me because Palm lacks brains!

Again, if you can go out and buy a cheap 50 dollar phone that has LCD screens in them and not have these issues, then they shouldn't be happening on an expensive smartphone-you can not argue this fact and if you do it just shows your lack of quality.

Again, google my complaints...I'm not the only one saying this. Enjoy your 10 plus dead pixels all of your screens boys and girls and that extra night light you get with all that light leakage.

P.S. Someone earlier in this thread accused me of "attacking" others who are trying to help me? LOL who was trying to help me? Some myspace tween replied with broken sentences accusing me of not "knowing hot to operate my device/take care of it!" Did he not read my post? I just bought the phone and opened it, it was already like that! Such a stupid response deserves flame being thrown at it, sorry if you don't agree.
    Last edited by Dayvidpriddy; 10/02/2009 at 10:03 AM.
    SPRINT...the carrier I never thought I'd switch to (and didn't lol)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayvidpriddy View Post
    I think you should learn to type complete sentences and run spell check before posting!

And for the other people saying "light leakage is normal on LCD products", that is a total and complete crock of bs! My iPhone did not have light leakage, my two 47" LCD tv's do not have light leakage, my GPS does not have light leakage...shall I go on? Please stay in school, sounds like most of you will accept anything regardless of the quality just to say "I have that!"
    Just curious, but how did you get the 47" LCD tv's in the closet to check for light leakage?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnston23 View Post
    Just curious, but how did you get the 47" LCD tv's in the closet to check for light leakage?
    Some people are in the closet no matter where they are.
    I'm a new Sprint customer and just switched from AT&T/iPhone yesterday (issues which I won't go into here but let's just say the phone wasn't cutting it for me.)

So I bought my phone at Radio Shack yesterday since they were giving the instant rebate on site, leaving me with paying 149.99 for the phone (I wasn't aware Best Buy was also doing this or I probably would have gone there since that is where I purchased and then returned my iPhone at.) Anyways...

So I come home with the phone yesterday and there is a dead pixel on the screen above "PALM" when the phone is booting up...although it's a very dull dead pixel. I take the phone into a dark closet to really check it out and then I'm greeted with HORRIBLE light leakage coming out from behind the LCD panel where the panel meets the black piano finish of the phone (all the way around the LCD panel)...it's just horrible!

So I took it back and exchanged it, the second phone had the same problem. Took it back and exchanged it again. This time the phone had 3 really bright, HUGE dead pixels on the boot up screen, I ddin't even go any further and went back to the store and exchanged it for the original phone I originally bought...they still had it back in the back and it was the best phone out of the 3.

What I can't understand is how on God's green earth, could a company be letting phones out of the production line in such horrible conditions? There is no reason to have light leakage if they seal the phones correctly, they are obviously not doing this and don't even get me started on the dead pixel issue...I've never had this problem before with any other phone. According to Best Buy, the retail price of this phone is 749.99, although Radio Shack insists it's 599.99-either way a phone that cost this much money (retail wise) should not have such poor build quality and bad LCD screens like this. I've had phones before that cost 20 bucks that didn't have all these problems...there is just no excuse for this at all!

As long as I keep the screen brightness down to the lowest setting (which I usually do) because most of the time when I use my phone I'm either in my apartment which I keep dimly lit or I'm in my car at night (I work nights so I sleep during the days), the light leakage is minimal. But I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed with this, I mean I left the iPhone to come to this?

I think in general most companies these days are getting really cheap and lazy when it comes to building their products, they are building them in the MASSES and quality control is being ignored completely just to push out quota and it's not fair to us consumers who are the ones who are using them.

I'm going to be forwarding this message to PALM directly and letting them know how disgusted I am with this, if they are trying to beat the competition they are not doing a very good job at it (as far as devices go and how they are built!)
    Could be a bad batch. go somewhere else and see if the phones any better....i got mine from best buy and its perfect
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Oh yeah regarding the light leakage again...this problem is easily preventable if the phone was sealed correctly when it was built (between the LCD panel and the case that is surrounding it. Don't blame me because Palm lacks brains!
    Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?

Here's a 2 second exposure of my Pre, displaying a black screen in a dark room.

Yes it's in focus. You can make out individual pixels.
    Yes I have one stuck red pixel.
    There are some scuffs in my screen protector. Luckily that's what it's for.
    Yes the right edge and bottom are every so slightly lighter than the
    left side but we're talking about 2% on an 8bit scale. (0-255).
    There is also an optical illusion where all the edges look a bit brighter
    than the center, because of their proximity to pure black border.
    To illustrate the illusion, here's the same image with the borders
    cropped out. You're only looking at the screen here.

Notice the edges actually look darker now, because of their proximity to white.
    The actual brightness is identical. The images are identical.

Are you really seeing something significantly different than this?
    If so, your Pre is broken. Two of my friends just bought Pres
    and they look exactly like mine in the dark. There is nothing resembling
    light leakage from the backlight due to a gap between LCD and case.

ian
  17.    #37  
    Yes the light leakage on mine was way worse then that-WAY WORSE! The piano black border going around the LCD screen was lit up with light coming out at all angles. You just got lucky.

Anyways I demanded and I got what I wanted from the Sprint store. If one excepts poor quality, that is what one will get!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    You just got lucky.
    More likely you just got unlucky, because I've yet to see any Pre
    that has anything like what you've described, and I just checked
    another one out today (seems all my friends are buying em ).

We're not settling for poor quality. Ours don't have a problem.

ian
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    More likely you just got unlucky, because I've yet to see any Pre
    that has anything like what you've described, and I just checked
    another one out today (seems all my friends are buying em ).

We're not settling for poor quality. Ours don't have a problem.

ian
    Unlucky 3 times in a row? What about all the complaints online about the same issues. I think you and your set of friends are sailing in the lucky boat! I went to a Sprint store last night because a friend was switching and his Pre had over 10 dead pixels on the screen...when the phone booted up it looked like a black and white christmas tree 'in heat'! Again, I've never seen such poor screen quality in a phone in all my life.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Seriously, what the heck are you talking about?

Here's a 2 second exposure of my Pre, displaying a black screen in a dark room.

Yes it's in focus. You can make out individual pixels.
    Yes I have one stuck red pixel.
    There are some scuffs in my screen protector. Luckily that's what it's for.
    Yes the right edge and bottom are every so slightly lighter than the
    left side but we're talking about 2% on an 8bit scale. (0-255).
    There is also an optical illusion where all the edges look a bit brighter
    than the center, because of their proximity to pure black border.
    To illustrate the illusion, here's the same image with the borders
    cropped out. You're only looking at the screen here.

Notice the edges actually look darker now, because of their proximity to white.
    The actual brightness is identical. The images are identical.

Are you really seeing something significantly different than this?
    If so, your Pre is broken. Two of my friends just bought Pres
    and they look exactly like mine in the dark. There is nothing resembling
    light leakage from the backlight due to a gap between LCD and case.

ian
    BTW bro...you got many more then 1 dead pixel lol sorry to tell you. You need to look more closely at your screen. The other ones are very dim but they are there none the less. I would say from my count you got close to 10 of em'!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast