webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Locate Me Using.... Google Service?
Locate Me Using.... Google Service?

Old 09/30/2009, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have tried searching for exactly what "Google Service" is under the "Location preferences, but can not find it anywhere. I am curious as to what exactly Google Service is?

Prior to 1.2, I knew there were two ways that the Pre could locate you, either using the GPS chip (most accurate) or using Cell Tower Triangulation. Is "Google Service" simply just Cell Tower Triangulation?
Old 09/30/2009, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've asked this too and have never gotten a response. its def the cell tower location bc the where app pulls location like it did previously before 1.2 but i think its called 'google' bc if an app requires mapping you, it will use google maps. but i'm pretty sure if you have gps on, it will map you using google maps as well.

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
Rangt#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've also been wondering about this. With palm would release better explanations along with their app notes.
Eugefunk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yep ... not very clear to me either. I did a little investigation, and as far as I can tell, it is a cell triangulation fix done through Google. Not sure why you would want this over GPS, unless you were someplace where you couldn't get a GPS fix (like a downtown "canyon"). Also wondering what affect this has on battery life ... if it's constantly polling the cell and the network? I've turned it off on my phone until I can find a reason to turn it on 8^).
davis.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just for reference, I found this article (although it's s couple of years old now):

With Google’s My Location, Who Needs a GPS?
davis.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
Just for reference, I found this article (although it's s couple of years old now):

With Google’s My Location, Who Needs a GPS?
I bet this is what it is. If you have GPS and Google Service turned off, your phone will not locate you on Location Based Apps.

The reason to have GPS off is to save battery. My guess (and only a guess) is that Google Service only works when the phone needs to position itself using cell towers.

I usually never turned my GPS on in 1.1 when using the Location Based Apps to find dining, stores, etc near me. In order to just find what was near me, I did not need the accuracy of GPS. Cell Tower location was close enough for these things.

If you are actually using Navigation on the phone, you would definately want the GPS Chip on.
Old 09/30/2009, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

So, it's the same locating service as before, but with a name addition/change to confuse people...
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
So, it's the same locating service as before, but with a name addition/change to confuse people...
This is my guess...
Old 09/03/2010, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

don't know if this was available before, ut in webos 1.4.5 I can select to have the device locate me using both "gps" and "google services." I have gps off from my sys menu using sconix's menu patch, and I have another patch that will auto turn it on and off when I open/close goog maps. In that case, will gps override "google services"? Cause that's wen I want to be using the gps.
patricksmangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2010, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes it was the same prior to 1.4.5
ChasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/04/2010, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

I believe that Google also has been inserting elements into carrier networks to augment what is possible with aGPS and satellite. That's how you can get access to a certain level of LBS even when in doors.

I'm not sure what they are doing beyond triangulation, but google definitely has elements in carrier networks, and they also have space on a satellite, with another going up next year. They are use for imaging, but the possibilities are there for other things.

Google Launches Mapping Satellite -- InformationWeek

Google’s Super Satellite Captures First Image | Wired Science | Wired.com
Workerb33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0