Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I have several DVD's I've ripped in H.264 MP4 format. Most are ripped at full DVD resolution of 720x405, or whatever height accounts for the proper aspect ratio of that film.

Most are also ripped using the Main rather then Low complexity setting which the iPod requires.

Will the Pre be able to play these files? I'd hate to have to re-rip DVD's to a special format just to play on the pre.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Someone has had to play around with this right?
    Have you tried? The hardware is capable just not sure if the software is there yet.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Mine are all in MPEG-4 Movie format and work great. Some can be as large a 900Mb like Transformers was for me. Formatted for iPhone
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Thank guys. I did just do a test myself and my 720x360 videos didn't work. I don't know if that's because the resolution is too high or because I used a main profile rather then low complexity H.264 encoding.
    what program do you use to encode them? i'm looking for one
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glacius View Post
    I use handbrake and have had nothing but great results. But my goal with it was usually the back up my DVD's at full resolution. In the past I've used Videora iPod converter when converting my stuff to iPod format, which is what it seems the Pre prefers.

That said Handbrake has profiles for iPod/iPhone you can choose.

Honestly I'm a little disappointed. It seems like in the case of video Palm is trying to follow Apple around. My hope would have been that Palm would have tried to one-up them by adding support for higher resolution playback at the least. But perhaps it's a hardware issue. I'm not asking for HD support here (although it would be nice). I just don't like the fact that the DVD's I've ripped at their native SD resolution can't be played back without re-encoding. I really don't want to have multiple files of the same movie at various resolutions on my computer.

Maybe in the Pre2 Palm can add better video playback support and video out for TV. Once again I'm not even asking for HD, but even my 3-4 year old iPod video had video out via the headphone jack.
    480-320 Max H.264 Resolution
    Quote Originally Posted by glacius View Post
    I use Anyvideoconverter...and you have to adjust the settings for a custom mp4, but the result is phenomenal.