Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I always start my threats off like this, but I apologize if I am creating a redundant threat, but I don't know if it is just me, but this new update seems to be to reliant on internet connectivity. Before I updated my phone, I could be anywhere, i.e. driving (I know I'm not suppose to), at work, or even in an area where there is no kind of wifi connectivity, and be able to get some type of internet connectivity, but now it seems as if it is mandatory that I am in a direct hotspot. In my opinion, I like the update, but as far as the internet goes, it sucks!
    I guess I do not follow. Are you saying you should be able to use the internet with no signal?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    im saying I was doing it before with no problem at all, no matter where I was, and now I can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    I guess I do not follow. Are you saying you should be able to use the internet with no signal?
    I think the OP is saying that a WiFi connection is needed to get the update right away.

I was under the impression that the Pre would download the update in the background when WiFi was not available and then let you know when it was ready to install. Kinda like Windows Update, ya know?
    Last edited by jedicide; 09/30/2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: worded a little nicer :)
    It can be downloaded via EVDO - that's how I completed my update.

It did take about 1/2 hour to download the entire update. What the OP probably experienced was lag due to a weak signal. The phone will stop downloading with a weak signal - presumably to ensure the data does not get corrupted.
    if you already did the update (go back into phone preferences ) on the dialer and select data roaming enable... Palms updates always sets it back to disabled
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    What I want to know is, what are you threatening?
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDUBB007 View Post
    I always start my threats off like this, but I apologize if I am creating a redundant threat, but I don't know if it is just me, but this new update seems to be to reliant on internet connectivity. Before I updated my phone, I could be anywhere, i.e. driving (I know I'm not suppose to), at work, or even in an area where there is no kind of wifi connectivity, and be able to get some type of internet connectivity, but now it seems as if it is mandatory that I am in a direct hotspot. In my opinion, I like the update, but as far as the internet goes, it sucks!

Watch you talkin' 'bout Willis?

Threat to whom and about what?

Your internet signal has nothing to do with a software/firmware update as far as I can figure (it would have screwed with tens of thousands of phones, not just yours).

For the others, I updated mine via EVDO. Long? Yep. Worth it? Seems to be.

I update my wife's last night via our LAN and it was about 10x quicker!

All in all, you may want to do a full reboot and see what it looks like then.

bj
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    What I want to know is, what are you threatening?
    what do you mean what am I threatening? I'm just stating the fact that no matter where I was, wheather it be heaven or hell if they didnt have wifi, I was still able to have internet access on my pre.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    if you already did the update (go back into phone preferences ) on the dialer and select data roaming enable... Palms updates always sets it back to disabled
    Thank you, I just enabled it, that may have been the problem.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post
    Watch you talkin' 'bout Willis?

Threat to whom and about what?

Your internet signal has nothing to do with a software/firmware update as far as I can figure (it would have screwed with tens of thousands of phones, not just yours).

For the others, I updated mine via EVDO. Long? Yep. Worth it? Seems to be.

I update my wife's last night via our LAN and it was about 10x quicker!

All in all, you may want to do a full reboot and see what it looks like then.

bj
    what is up w/ people asking me what am I threatening. Im just stating facts. There is noi for sure way of knowing f it would have messed with other peoples phone, just like some say their back swipe doesn't work, or the swiping sound, this may have just been a unique problem. My brother and I updated out phones simontaneously, and his worked at our job, (no wifi) and mines did not.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I can have access to Internet through EVDO, with data roaming disabled. I don't want to be charged huge fees for using data roaming on other networks.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I can have access to Internet through EVDO, with data roaming disabled. I don't want to be charged huge fees for using data roaming on other networks.
    isnt all roaming included in any plan that allows for a pre? within the united states of course...
    Last edited by mokash34; 09/30/2009 at 10:05 AM.
    I always start my threats off like this,
    They are busting your chops since you meant to say thread and well you know...
    what is up w/ people asking me what am I threatening. Im just stating facts. There is noi for sure way of knowing f it would have messed with other peoples phone, just like some say their back swipe doesn't work, or the swiping sound, this may have just been a unique problem. My brother and I updated out phones simontaneously, and his worked at our job, (no wifi) and mines did not.
    They are referring to your original post here:

As you can see, you referred to the thread you created as a threat. People were just having some fun with your choice of words is all.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ok, so elementary, ya'll knew what I was talking about!!!!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Spelling Fail

*facepalm*
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    focusing on irrelevant typos FAIL