1.    #1  
    What is the purpose of this new option? Why would you want to turn data off?
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    What is the purpose of this new option? Why would you want to turn data off?
    To save battery life.
    Not only, here in germany u can have a contract without data option, for those people it's really gold to turn this off
    There is another thread that says this disables EVDO.
    To do this:
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    To save battery life.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    There is another thread that says this disables EVDO.
    To do this:
    If you're talking about the ##EVDO# method; it doesn't disable data entirely, you can just force your Pre to do EVDO only, 1xRTT only, or both (default).
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    If you have WIFI access, you can save the battery and get faster access to data than EVDO.
    If you're going for maximum standby time and aren't going to be using Internet on your Pre for a while, turning off EVDO will give you that.

A good example is when you're in a spotty coverage area. Even when idle, various services on the phone occasionally hit the Internet for syncing contacts, etc. This will really hurt your battery in weak coverage areas. So if you need maximum battery life and will only be using the phone and SMS, turning off data will help out a great deal.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I haven't lost more than 3% of my battery in the last 4 hours after turning off data. I even made a short phone call and sent and received around 10 text messages during that time. This is amazing.

Now all I need is to tweak the data syncing options. I don't need continuous calendar or contact syncing, which I believe to be the culprit. I wish I can just import FB and Google contacts on demand, and turn off the background syncing. Battery life nirvana.