Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Does anyone here have a pre and is on the google wave early invite? I'm wondering whether the Pre supports google wave and how good the support is?
    Curious about this as well. I signed up for the beta awhile back, but I'm sure I'm not one of the 100,000 initial testers that are able to start testing today.

Anyone?

/Kevin
    Same as above- also curious about support once Wave gets rolling!
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Google Help › Google Wave Help › Your Account › Signing Up and Signing In ›
    What browsers and platforms are compatible with Google Wave?
    Print

Google Wave works on Mac, Windows, and Linux platforms. Supported browsers include:

* Google Chrome
    * Safari
    * Firefox 3.5
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    It does work on the iPhone and Android....I'm trying to find out if there is a URL that those phones get redirected to when they go to wave.google.com
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I would love an invite to google wave.
    pure speculation but google wave would be 1) resource intensive 2) require platform not supported on pre (flash) 3) require more real estate (pixels)

perhaps there'll be some scaled down version in the future for mobile devices...
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post
    pure speculation but google wave would be 1) resource intensive 2) require platform not supported on pre (flash) 3) require more real estate (pixels)

perhaps there'll be some scaled down version in the future for mobile devices...
    Google Wave is built on the Google Web Toolkit, so it is HTML5/JavaScript and does not use Flash at all. Unfortunately like most, I don't have a Wave invitation either, so I can't try it.

However, I have tried a number of the GWT samples, and some of them run on the Palm, but many work only partially or don't work at all. However, this means that all that should need to happen for the Palm Pre to support Google Web Toolkit applications like Google Wave is an update to webkit. Unfortunately, it might also mean that there is no easy way for the Google Wave team to force it to work on the Pre.

For more info, watch this video: YouTube - Google Wave: Powered by Google Web Toolkit
    youtube.com/watch?v=lWMVzhXwh-I
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chienandalusia View Post

Flash? Does google use anything flash?
    I have wave and a pre. Wave loads fine on the pre, but when you try to open waves, it crashes (wave, not the pre). Friends with Iphones tell me that they have the same issue.

Even if it didn't crash, dealing with waves on the pre would not be practical right now. A wave client or mobile version will have to be invented. Right now, scrolling around in big wave on a browser is clunky.

Hopefully, when it goes public there will be mobile solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Flash? Does google use anything flash?
    Anything you upload using Gmail or YouTube uses Flash by default. Flash is the only way to have a reliable progress bar while uploading a file. Plus it's less hacky and easier than the HTML way. They do fallback to a crappy method for non-flash users but most people don't see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basl View Post
    I have wave and a pre. Wave loads fine on the pre, but when you try to open waves, it crashes (wave, not the pre). Friends with Iphones tell me that they have the same issue.

Even if it didn't crash, dealing with waves on the pre would not be practical right now. A wave client or mobile version will have to be invented. Right now, scrolling around in big wave on a browser is clunky.

Hopefully, when it goes public there will be mobile solutions.
    I also have wave, and I found that text-only waves can be opened and read, but that it crashes (wave) when I try to edit or add to the wave, or if any non-text widgets are in the wave. So, not really very useful right now.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have a Wave Invite and it doesn't work on Pre. Pretty much what Basl and Donkey Hodie said. Also, I checked on an iPhone and they do have a mobile version of the site that shows up. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be URL based (instead it's probably user agent based), so we're kinda SOL for now.
    I was able to get into a iPhone mode of Wave on the iPod Touch. I might push out the iPhone user agents to my Pre to see if I can load Wave in iPhone mode. I think that would be more compatible, because it most likely ignores extensions.

This is only going to work on small waves. Heck, big waves give my 4 Gb memory laptop some pause.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I know the odds of this are pretty slim but if an iPhone user is reading this could you point your phone towards wave.google.com and then post the link that it directs you to in order to login.

My palm pre clearly *remembers* my google credentials b/c when I pointed it towards wave.google.com it brought me to the full web version of google wave and not the iPhone Web App version which is being talked about in the blogosphere. It did take a couple tries but my Pre eventually took me to the google wave UI. Everything except the waves in my inbox show up (they show up as outlined boxes but there is no text inside of them...)

Either way I guess I just want the mobile URL for google wave- it works for every other Google Web App (Google Talk, Tasks, Mail, Calendar) so I see no reason why it shouldn't work for this.
    Basl you happen to have an invite to spare?
    Last edited by neoGTR22; 07/13/2010 at 01:42 PM.
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Yeah...PM me if anyone has a GW invite available, pls.
    Quote Originally Posted by turkeywelder View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone here have a pre and is on the google wave early invite? I'm wondering whether the Pre supports google wave and how good the support is?

It's not. It's actually not supported by any mobile browser. Wave will detect this and tell you to go to your desktop. Yes, I have Wave
    I got my wave invite today and have a Pre and an old iphone. The Iphone has a mobile version of the webpage that works a lot better. The pre gets the full web version and it crashed when I tried to open a wave. The URL on the iphone is wave.google.com/wave?nouacheck which didn't make a difference on my pre.
    <----willing to trade google voice invite for google wave invite
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast