Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm allowed to upgrade my phone now and I've been checking out the Pre.

Currently I own a Palm Centro and it's ok in my opinion. As a phone and alarm clock it's solid. The first month I owned it I had the data plan but then rid myself of it. I just didn't feel the data experience was good enough for the extra money and what I do with a phone.

That said, with either phone I chose, I have 5 primary uses for it.

1. Phone
    2. Alarm clock
    3. Camera
    4. Audio and video
    5. Web browsing

Regarding the Pre and these 5 uses I have some questions and concerns.

1. I have a google voice account. I assume this will work just fine with the homebrew gdialer?

2. Is the standard alarm clock like the alarms on Butler that allow you to schedule multiple alarms that will repeat on various days of the week? Or is it just a single alarm you have to set every night?

3. I heard someone here say that the camera wasn't as good as the one on the iPhone 3GS? They seem to both be 3.2MP AF cameras and the Pre adds a flash, so is it just the software that isn't good or is the quality of the actual pictures less?

I know the iphone has other camera apps that do special effects and exposure control. Are there such apps for the Pre? Will there be if not already?

4. This is a big one for me. I'd like to replace my iPod nano with the Pre. What is the best method for syncing music playlists and podcasts? Is it a convoluted multi-step method I'm never going to take the time to do, or is it as easy as putting my nano in the dock every night and having everything sync automatically?

Currently on my Centro I have some music I haven't change in a year. Because it's just too much of a pain compared to my ipod and it doesn't support podcasts easily.

5. I don't have any questions about web browsing. It seems nice and well supported. Though I am interested in the flash 10 update for watching web videos other then youtube.

Other questions I have regarding the Pre

A. Why are their more homebrew apps then Pre store apps? Currently both are free right?

B. I'm really concerned to hear about people going on their 3 or 4th Pre. If I buy mine from Best Buy will I be able to return it if faulty? If so for how long and how many times? Will the sprint store honor a faulty phone exchange even if I bought it at Best Buy?

C. For those that don't use your Pre constantly for data, how long does your battery last you? For instance I may talk on the phone for an hour every night and maybe a few 5 minute calls during the day. Otherwise I'll use the phone for looking stuff up on the web here and there a few times a day and listen to music and podcasts with it most of the rest of the time. Not a ton of screen time so to speak. About how long could I expect the battery to last?

I may pick up a Pre tomorrow, but I also have the Hero on my radar. However currently I have some other concerns about the Hero. More then the Pre. I'm concerned about the SenseUI not being standard on Android and how many apps will conform to it's UI look and feel. As well as how many apps use the multi-touch. My current view of Android is that it's sort of a tinkering OS for people who like playing with their phone more then using it as a tool. Which has lead me to the Pre and it's uniformity of UI and apps. But I'm also open to hearing anything you might say about the Hero if you feel it might be a better fit for me.

Thank you
    First of all, you've probably asked way too many questions in one thread. You'd probably have more coherent results posting one thread for each major question. I'll give them a shot though:

Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    Currently I own a Palm Centro and it's ok in my opinion. As a phone and alarm clock it's solid. The first month I owned it I had the data plan but then rid myself of it. I just didn't feel the data experience was good enough for the extra money and what I do with a phone.
    Based on this, the Pre might not be the phone for you. It's very much an internet-centric device. You are going to have to have a Data Everything plan of some sort (assuming you're with Sprint), and once you go to that, you can't go back to another discontinued discounted plan (if applicable). However, in my opinion, the device and 'net experience is worth the extra expense. You may want to consider testing the Pre as a second line rather than changing an existing discounted plan where you don't use data.

1. I have a google voice account. I assume this will work just fine with the homebrew gdialer?
    I use gdialer with it. It works OK, but I wouldn't call it "great". I expect we'll see better as time goes on.

2. Is the standard alarm clock like the alarms on Butler that allow you to schedule multiple alarms that will repeat on various days of the week? Or is it just a single alarm you have to set every night?

Alarm options are "Ring Once, Daily, Weekdays, and Weekends". Keep in mind, this is Palm's alarm system, not a third party one (like you had with Butler). I expect we will eventually see something more powerful.

3. I heard someone here say that the camera wasn't as good as the one on the iPhone 3GS? They seem to both be 3.2MP AF cameras and the Pre adds a flash, so is it just the software that isn't good or is the quality of the actual pictures less?
    Hard to say, withouting being the one that expressed that opinon. I suspect they were either talking about the software, and just repeating an "iPhone is better" mantra. What little of seen of the iPhone's supporting software for photos (Facebook, uploads, catalog, etc), that appears to be better. Again, this is an immature product, we'll see better.
    I know the iphone has other camera apps that do special effects and exposure control. Are there such apps for the Pre? Will there be if not already?
    No there aren't. Hard to say if there will be. I'm not much of a fan of trying to edit pictures on a phone, but who knows....? Ooops, nix that. I just checked with my Magic 8 Ball app, and it said "DON'T COUNT ON IT"... Sorry...

4. This is a big one for me. I'd like to replace my iPod nano with the Pre. What is the best method for syncing music playlists and podcasts? Is it a convoluted multi-step method I'm never going to take the time to do, or is it as easy as putting my nano in the dock every night and having everything sync automatically?
    Currently on my Centro I have some music I haven't change in a year. Because it's just too much of a pain compared to my ipod and it doesn't support podcasts easily.

Sorry, going to have to pass on that one. I only had a few songs on my Treo, never have been big into using the phone as a media player.
    On the plus side, there seems to be a lot of interest, and activity, among Pre users in this area. Shall I shake the Magic 8-Ball again?

5. I don't have any questions about web browsing. It seems nice and well supported. Though I am interested in the flash 10 update for watching web videos other then youtube.
    That one was easy to respond to...

A. Why are their more homebrew apps then Pre store apps? Currently both are free right?
    Homebrew doesn't require the approval of Palm, or the vetting processes they surely go through. And yes, both are currently free, though some (in both categories) indicate they will be a "fee" app later.

B. I'm really concerned to hear about people going on their 3 or 4th Pre. If I buy mine from Best Buy will I be able to return it if faulty? If so for how long and how many times? Will the sprint store honor a faulty phone exchange even if I bought it at Best Buy?
    The vast majority of Pre owners have had no major problems with it. The complaints you read on here are vocal minority, represent the exceptions rather than the rule. That said, were it me, I would buy from Sprint, and pay for TEP (Total Equipment Protection). I like the security that gives me.

C. For those that don't use your Pre constantly for data, how long does your battery last you? For instance I may talk on the phone for an hour every night and maybe a few 5 minute calls during the day. Otherwise I'll use the phone for looking stuff up on the web here and there a few times a day and listen to music and podcasts with it most of the rest of the time. Not a ton of screen time so to speak. About how long could I expect the battery to last?
    If you don't deliberately go to the internet a lot, I suspect you be OK with the battery; however, I also strongly suspect your use will change. Keep in mind, this device communicates with the internet a lot "behind the scenes". Also, you will begin to use it in ways you didn't anticipate. For instance, I never even tried Pandora before getting my Pre, and now I use it a lot. That just about requires me to keep it charging at work while I'm streaming audio. Many of the apps use the internet, a lot. Were it me, I would just plan on needing a charger in the car, and probably at work.

Good luck on your fact-finding, and I hope you get the right phone for you.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I know it was a long message and you are right I probably should have split them up. Perhaps I'll do that for some of the questions just to see if I can get other responses.

Thank you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by roxics View Post
    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I know it was a long message and you are right I probably should have split them up. Perhaps I'll do that for some of the questions just to see if I can get other responses.

Thank you again.
    Hope it helps. I also hope you let us/me know what you decide to do, and maybe check back a few weeks later and let us/me know how it all worked for you.