Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Granted this is a far-fetched idea, but the early adopters, such as myself, got screwed over the pricing. Within 3 months, the price of the Pre has dropped to half, if not more.

I know that this comes with the territory, but it kind of blows that we dealt with and reported the bugs and the build quality of the Pre, only to have the phone drop $100+ in three months.

I am not asking for a refund, because I know that is out of the question, and I still think this is the best phone on Sprint, even if there were lots of issues.

But I think it is reasonable to ask for some steep discounts on Palm Pre accessories, i.e. touchstone, cases, car charges, etc.

I went through three of these phones, waiting up to 2 hours at times, while the Sprint technician looked and decided if I needed a new phone or not. Which is actually the standard policy to replace Pre phones that are defective.

So I think it is fair to ask for something like 60-75% discount on Palm Pre Accessories. Or maybe some credits on the App Catalog.
    Knock yourself out!
    I take pride in knowing that I got up early, stood in line, met the other early risers and was one of the 1st to get a Pre in my area. No amount of money refunded to me can add to that experience.
    i like burritos.....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mate i think when it comes to sprint they will not honestly care about your personal suffering.. or desire to be credited anything.. Ive been a sprint slave for nearly 13 years. I agree with you there should be something considered for those who (for lack of a better word) helped/fixed the problems or made them apparent.. i myself actually was confronted by a palm rep taking notes on ideas for the pre.. but that might be because i live in OK and Tech junkies are a minority here.. anyways..

Since i was also standing in line for the pre on release date, i also had this bright idea to ask for some love from sprint and the response i got was a simple chuckle and told thats the burden of wanting the phone first..
    I'm not crazy cause my hands are in my pants...... I'm just feeling Nuts!!!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Didn't AT&T do the same thing with the iphone like a month after launch. It hurts one's pride when a company like Sprint--whom I've also been with for almost 10 years now--treats their loyal customers like that.

And about the burden of wanting the phone first...the iphone came first...I still stayed with Sprint though my contract was over...I owned a 755p and a centro, so why not want the Pre.

I wish we could get those discounts...I really do want some accesories.
    No offense, but every early adopter (including myself) knew what we were getting. An overpriced phone that had a lot of issues. Look at the iPhone same *****.... You know your gonna get screwed and you do it anyway. That's the price of being an early adopter. That being said, I love my Pre and I don't care about the cash. Now, of they come out with better hardware with more memory and/or card slot, I'm really gonna be ****ed. But that's the price of being an early adopter.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    That's always the case with a new phone. Everyone knows early adopters pay the highest price and get the most problems. That's the way it is. If that's something bothers you then you should wait to get a new phone until it's been out a while.
    if you bought the phone at $200, you obviously thought it was worth it, right?

so what's really the problem- you dislike that others got a better deal than you? why not just be happy for them and don't worry about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post

so what's really the problem- you dislike that others got a better deal than you? why not just be happy for them and don't worry about it?
    +1
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Also you got more two or three months more usage out of the device than people who waited.
    No amount of money???

I don't care about cash???

I'm not feeling any particular pain over being an early adopter, but if anyone's feeling generous I'll be glad to post my PayPal account.
    I wish I would have gotten it for only 200. I only got 75 off with no rebate since I was already a Sprint customer so I got screwed even more.
    Quote Originally Posted by 17outs View Post
    I wish I would have gotten it for only 200. I only got 75 off with no rebate since I was already a Sprint customer so I got screwed even more.
    That's not because you were already a Sprint customer. It's because you were already a Sprint customer and hadn't had your current phone long enough to become eligible for the full discounted pricing. Regular customers get the upgrade pricing at 22 months, premier customers get it every 12 months (primary line only if on a share plan).

You are half correct, but the post is entirely wrong with the circumstances.

It was your choice to upgrade before you were eligible for the full discounting.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post

Couldn't agree more. I hate how people always think they are entitled to something just because.

Ever hear of supply and demand? When the Pre was first released, demand was high and supply was low. (Remember those long waiting lists?) Now that demand has gone down, there is plenty of supply so the price is going to go down. When you buy something, you pay the going rate at the time you buy it. I don't think anyone would be begging to pay an extra $100 if the price of the Pre went up to $300.

Another thing, the actual price of the Pre is still the same. ($549.99) The extra discounts from Sprint are an incentive to entice customers into a smartphone and the Everything plan. They make this money back over the life of your contract. They lose money if they just handed out refunds/discounts to people that already have a Pre and Everything plan. Sprint and Palm are in business to make money, not hand out freebies.
    Last edited by kd0axs; 09/29/2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    premier customers get it every 12 months (primary line only if on a share plan).
    A little off topic but unless it has changed recently, I don't think that's correct. I have 2 lines with the Everything Share 1500 plan and I was able to upgrade both lines after 12 months.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Just remember... we are early adopters... which means, if a new pre (post?) comes out in june next year, we'll be able to grab it before the folks getting the Pre right now.

It really does suck that the price has dropped but, I would have wasted that 100 dollars on alcohol or something else instead of the phone.
    Many of use here knew the prices would drop on the device, posted it shortly after release and got laughed at. "OMG too much demand doodz".

Its the price you pay for being an early adopter. Don't expect Palm to anything like what Apple did and offer rebates, they can't afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    Granted this is a far-fetched idea, but the early adopters, such as myself, got screwed over the pricing. Within 3 months, the price of the Pre has dropped to half, if not more.

I know that this comes with the territory, but it kind of blows that we dealt with and reported the bugs and the build quality of the Pre, only to have the phone drop $100+ in three months.
    Your entire argument is based on an invalid premise.

You didn't get "screwed". You got exactly what you were promised. Maybe you should start the thread over with a little more "truth in advertising"

I purchased the Pre early on, when it was in highest demand and thus highest price; and now that normal market factors have begun to kick in, I want everyone to feel sorry for me because I think it's somehow not fair. In addition, instead of acknowledging that it's just the way things happen, I'm going to insist that I've somehow been wronged, thus I'm owed something. Who's with me???
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    You want to talk about early, I dropped my 700p for an Instinct, I already had a buyer for my treo. I love the pre and can't wait to see what's next.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast