Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yeah same here nick. Webos doctor won't recognize my phone either. I'm assuming because I don't have dev mode turned on but at the same time I can't access it.
    why would anyone take back their phone and not use the webos doctor.

bobtx, restart your computer and your phone and webosdoc will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by stasbel View Post
    I have installed the update 1.2 on my PRE, and tried to use WebOSQuickInstaller, and my device just died. No applications opened, anywhere I went, I saw only blank screen. Even when I press "Phone", I get an empty screen. The application page is empty, and even the "device info", from where one can perform hard reset, is also blank. So I called Palm, and they told me that there is a Hardware Malfunction! Is it possible that QuickInstaller would kill my pre???
    So now I am in process of reseting it from PRE website, but accourding to PRE people, it would only erase the data, and will not reset the device.

Anyone had this problem??? Any suggestiong???
    Oh, yes, one more thing, I can accept phonecalls!

Any feedback is helpfull!

Try to perform a restore using webos doctor. That should fix any software problems. If that doesn't work then you have something hardware related like the CS stated. Please refer to my sig for the link and instructions oh how to perform a restore using webos doctor...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    yep my phone died to ... i had no apps show up i had a white bar all day on top where the battery shows.. i tried the tweeks and all this happened... the doc fixed me back up... thank god lol... the update and webos is not compatible yet ... preware still works though... when i would ope the app page i just got a gray screen with the wallpaper in the background... no apps showed up ... i reseted it and took out the battery and still nothing... your going to have to use the doc, restore your phone... then update again and dont tweek it...
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    1. You shouldn't need dev mode on to use the Doctor.

2. Dev mode was NOT reset to 'off' when I updated to 1.2.

xtn
    I would love to use webOS doctor, but WebOS doctor doesn't see the device. I am stuck at the screen "Connect you phone directly..."
    So I guess it is a dead weight... (((
    I would love to use webOS doctor, but WebOS doctor doesn't see the device. I am stuck at the screen "Connect you phone directly..."
    You may need to force usb mode on the Pre... instructions are around here somewhere.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    My Pre did the same sort of thing, but it was my fault. I changed all my QI's back to factory but forgot the add/delete new pages one. The WebOS updated fine but then I noticed my APP's screen was all gray. I just used WebDr. and put the phone back to factory and reinstall everything I needed, less QI. I was warned but alas I chose/forgot to listen. Great phone, dumb user.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stasbel View Post
    Mine was doing the same thing but I had to disable the devmode restart the phone, enable the devmode restart the phone again and make sure the the Palm Novacom was running on my computer. Then it allowed me to use WebDr.
  12.    #32  
    I ended up taking mine in and they are sending a replacement. (no insurance but it's under warranty) They tried wiping the software as well but were unsuccessful.

FYI, prior to the update I didn't have any problems with webosdoctor accessing my device; problems started after the update. (probably due to dev mode being turned off - but i can't confirm this) It's kind of funny that Palm has 4 ways to erase your phone but none work if the OS is locked up. (##786, remote method, webosdoctor and device info) I wish they had a hardware based method like the treo, Q and most other phones.
    Last edited by nick1114; 09/30/2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added a method.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1114 View Post
    I ended up taking mine in and they are sending a replacement. (no insurance but it's under warranty) They tried wiping the software as well but were unsuccessful.

FYI, prior to the update I didn't have any problems with webosdoctor accessing my device; problems started after the update. (probably due to dev mode being turned off - but i can't confirm this) It's kind of funny that Palm has 4 ways to erase your phone but none work if the OS is locked up. (##786, remote method, webosdoctor and device info) I wish they had a hardware based method like the treo, Q and most other phones.
    ya i tried the remote method as well... where u go into ur palm profile and go lost phone right? didn't work for me either.

I guess I'm going back tomorrow
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sreyes View Post
    yep my phone died to ... i had no apps show up i had a white bar all day on top where the battery shows.. i tried the tweeks and all this happened... the doc fixed me back up... thank god lol... the update and webos is not compatible yet ... preware still works though... when i would ope the app page i just got a gray screen with the wallpaper in the background... no apps showed up ... i reseted it and took out the battery and still nothing... your going to have to use the doc, restore your phone... then update again and dont tweek it...
    Same problem here so did you have to return it or did you get the USB to recognize?
    Here is how to access Developer Mode without using the keyboard or touchscreen.

Connect your Pre Wall Charger to the wall BUT DO NOT CONNECT YOUR Pre

1) Remove battery from the Pre

2) Press and hold up volume key

3) Now connect the wall charger to the Pre (you should see a battery icon with ? in the middle)

4) Carefully insert the Pre battery whilst still keeping your finger on the up volume key

5) You should now see the usb icon which means you are in Developer mode.

6) Remove the wall charge usb cable and plug it into your computer usb port

Optional:

I) Download WebOSDoctor from palm.com/ROM

II) Run WebOSDoctor and proceed to erase and rebuild your Pre.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12