1.    #1  
    Hi,

Is there any way to set the GPS off unless applications want to use it? IE: If I open the photo application and the geotagging is on, it'll kick on the GPS until I exit the photo application. Same for Google Maps, Sprint Nav (seems to already do this?) and any other applications?

It may already do this, I don't know - the options in the location section didn't make it clear.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Go into location services and turn off Auto Locate. Sounded pretty clear to me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Go into location services and turn off Auto Locate. Sounded pretty clear to me.
    Does having this on turn OFF the gps when it isn't being used by an application? I want the GPS to function only when I am using applications that require it, and shut off when I exit them - without toggling the GPS off/on by going to the preferences menu in the location services settings.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ormandj View Post
    Does having this on turn OFF the gps when it isn't being used by an application? I want the GPS to function only when I am using applications that require it, and shut off when I exit them - without toggling the GPS off/on by going to the preferences menu in the location services settings.
    If you don't want the GPS on all of the time and only when you or a program requests it, than you need to turn off the GPS. Turning off the GPS though will make the accuracy a little off but the GPS will only come on when a program needs it. Auto locate is used to allow the GPS to locate you without the program asking if its ok to do so.
    The GPS chipset is only active when an application is accessing it.

It's easy to tell. Turn off GPS and note battery drain. Then turn it on and note battery drain when using non-GPS applications. Notice the drain is no different.

Now, fire up Google Maps and let it sit there tracking your location. The Pre will get warm and your battery will drain quite fast!

Stop being paranoid and just leave it switched on. It only gets used when you use a GPS-enabled app.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

It's easy to tell. Turn off GPS and note battery drain. Then turn it on and note battery drain when using non-GPS applications. Notice the drain is no different.

Now, fire up Google Maps and let it sit there tracking your location. The Pre will get warm and your battery will drain quite fast!

Stop being paranoid and just leave it switched on. It only gets used when you use a GPS-enabled app.
    Thank you for the information (that is exactly the information I was looking for), but why the paranoid comment? I simply asked if something was possible. <sarcasm> Stop being antagonistic. </sarcasm>

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Partially accurate. Yes, having the GPS on does very little to the battery versus having it off. However, when it is on it is being used but it's not actively being used hard as it would be when using a navigation app. With the GPS always on, it updates your location faster and more accurately than if it was off and had to be turned on and cold booted. At least that is my understanding. Anyway, it really is better to have it on all of the time.