Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm really thrilled with the incremental updates being made by palm. I like the swipe down for menus which mirrors the up-swipes for wave and launcher. I have had some concerns about the non-intuitive ways to use many things but I also believe that these will be worked out over time.

WebOS is a work in progress. Some have attempted to argue that this is evidence of it being a 'beta' product. For me this is evidence that Palm is continuing to improve an already great product. Can't wait to see where this platform goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    I waited for it since it was announced, stood in line to get it, gave them a pass on build quality since it was a gen 1 device, completely understood the lack of apps at launch, and even defended them through the last few updates. I was a complete Palm apologist. Now I'm done. If we don't hold them to the standard they need to be at, they will continue to drag their feet and give uss half-assed updates that basically improve nothing.
    Yeah, we all understand. After all, it's been four whole months. All of those other companies that speed the updates out the door, those are the guys that we all should jump to. Let's see... there's ... hmmm.. uh... Could you list them for me??
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Kmehr...
    First, I did not come from a winmo phone, like you falsly state. Not sure why you would say that. Second, no where in my post did I mention, or even allude to, AccuWeather or any other application. Again, why you would say this is beyond me. Third, when I say I'm done, I mean I'm done defending Palm and the phone. I'm sorry, but when we purchase a product, are we not allowed to criticize the product if it does not work properly or does not live up to the standards we as consumers have?
    I am not looking for the "Perfect Phone." When Palm introduced WebOS and the pre, I immediately purchased their stock, and eagerly awaited the pre's release for 6 months. I have supported Palm and this phone from the get-go. I brought my brother over from Verizon to Sprint for the phone. I have talked 4 friends into getting the phone. What I EXPECT is a phone that at least matches the functionality of other smart phones out there. I knew video recording was not going to be immediately available, but what is the holdup? Why have they commented out sooooo much of the WebOS funtions that individuals have had to find patches (sorry for using the term hacking. Wouldn't want to offend you again) to enable them. I'm sure Palm had a good reason for crippling them at release, but at this point, there is no excuse for not bringing those abilities out in the phone. Why can't they enable adding or deleting pages to the launcher? Why do they not enable landscape mode in email/messaging? THESE are the concerns I'm addressing.
    I don't want to get another phone, nor do I find that type of argument valid at all. I put my phone investment into Palm, instead of their competition, and I am not going to spend money on an unsubsidized phone just because this phone is not up to par. I want it to work the way it should. I knew it was going to be an unfinished product when I bought it, but there is no excuse for having it as unfinished as it is right now.
    On on your other point, it is EXACTLY the consumers somplaining about the product and threatening to move to a competitior that spurs both innovation and improvement in a product. Why do you think Palm came out with webOS? It is because other companies developed OS that were superior to PalmOS, but Palm did not stay with the times, and their bottom line suffered. Trust me, if there are enough people upset with Palm and how they are handling their rollout, they will respond, in order to keep their customer base. Letting them off the hook because everything is new is not an excuse. It is time they start fixing their product, or they WILL be losing customers.
    1) As far as Accuwather http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post1720079
    2) Another example of how you defend Palm http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929089
    3) http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929723
    Your response to someone claiming the phone is snappier " You are High" http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929662
    4) Your quote "LOL, I actually did get a TP before the pre" Only TP Im aware of is a WinMo one http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929850
    5) http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929948

As far as "Why do they not enable landscape mode in email/messaging?' Maybe b/c the keyboard is meant to be for Portrait mode. It would be difficult to type in Landscape unless you have an onscreen Keyboard.

So if it appears that I am still falsely accusing you of certain aspects, then Im Sorry. All I am going by, is what you post. I do understand how people do get upset. We pay good money and expect things to be flawless. IS the Pre flawless???? NO However, is the Pre stable and performs well??? YES All I can do is speak for myself. I have evaluated many phones. Many of them are Great (iPhone and Android) however I still prefer the Pre. Its UI is well laid out. Multi-Tasking, Web Browsing, exchangeable battery, responsive touch screen, vibrant colors, seamless integration to Google Calendar, GMail Hotmail and my contacts, etc... These are the few of many things which I like. Of course I would like OBEX, VPN, Medical software, etc. However I am sure that they will come.

One thing we must remember, is Palm is not directly trying to break our ability to tweak the phone. For example the 1.2 update also created issue with Classic. Did they intend to stop people from using classic??? NO it just happened that the new coding broke the functionality (I am assuming it has something to do with the new Mojo)

Also, many people, sites, organizations will research this phone and if they come to this forum and see 101 post of complaints, then more and more people will stray away from the phone, as well as, sites will be quoting us and pointing out that the Pre is a lousy phone. Which is furthest from the truth.

All I am saying is, that we 1) need to be patient 2) find a more constructive method to help improve this phone.

No hard feeling Morrison

Cheers
    Last edited by kmehr; 09/30/2009 at 11:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    1) As far as Accuwather http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post1720079
    2) Another example of how you defend Palm http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929089
    3) http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929723
    Your response to som one claiming the phone is snappier " You are High" http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929662
    4) Your quote "LOL, I actually did get a TP before the pre" Only TP Im aware of is a WinMo one http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929850
    5) http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1929948

So if it appears that I am still falsely accusing you of certain aspects, then Im Sorry. All I am going by, is what you post. I do understand how people do get upset. We pay good money and expect things to be flawless. IS the Pre flawless???? NO However, is the Pre stable and performs well??? YES All I can do is speak for myself. I have evaluated many phones. Many of them are Great (iPhone and Android) however I still prefer the Pre. Its UI is well laid out. Multi-Tasking, Web Browsing, exchangeable battery, responsive touch screen, vibrant colors, seamless integration to Google Calendar, GMail Hotmail and my contacts, etc... These are the few of many things which I like. Of course I would like OBEX, VPN, Medical software, etc. However I am sure that they will come.

One thing we must remember, is Palm is not directly trying to break our ability to tweak the phone. For example the 1. update also created issue with Classic. Did they intend to sop people from using classic??? NO it just happened that the new coding broke the functionality (I am assuming it has something to do with the new Mojo)

Also, many people, sites, organizations will research this phone and if they come to this forum and see 101 post of complains then more and more people will stray away from the phone, as well as, sites will be quoting us and pointing out that the Pre is a lousy phone. Which is furthest from the truth.

All I am saying is, that we 1) need to be patient 2) find a more constructive method to help improve this phone.

No hard feeling Morrison

Cheers
    I'm not making this into a personal fight, so no, no hard feelings.
    For the record, I had the TP for about a week. Didn't enjoy it much, and I heard the announcement of the pre, so I returned it.
    I know that Palm is not intentially stopping tweaks. That doesn't bother me, because I easily replaced the patches since the update to what I could. I am upset at the fact that these patches are even necessary.
    Let me ask you, how many phones have you been through? I am on my 4th, and have given up on the build quality. Two of the phones had large spots that looks like someone pushed down hard enough with their finger to distort the screen. The third felt like it literally was going to fall apart because of the gap between the sliders. The phone I have now isn't as dramatic, but still has a pretty severe "oreo" to it. But like I said, I have tried to accept the build issues because it is a gen 1 release.
    Since you've looked at what I've posted, let's quickly review. You can probably see that I've explained my support of Palm and the pre up to now. I have had the phone through all 5 updates, so I have seen exactly how each build has performed, and the browser is not better now, especially with the smoothness of the scrolling, and the checkerboard problem. And the updates they are providing are not addressing the issues that most people have with their phones, both from a consumer side with video recording and media, to the business side, namly Exchange. Instead, we are getting slight tweaks, such as being able to turn data on and off, , etc.
    Yes, hparsons, the pre is only 4 months old. However, WebOS was announced at the beginning of the year, so that is not a valid excuse.
    As for people coming to these forums and being turned off by the negative posts, that is called being a smart consumer. Obviously the posts don't necessarily speak for the whole of the pre community, but it still informs the customer as to the issues people are having with the phones, even if that information is somewhat slanted.
    Regardless of what you think, Palm is losing customers because of the lack of features on the phone. The initial excitement has worn off, and people are seeing other phones coming out with more features and more polished products. And yet the updates we are getting do nothing for the ordinary consumer. Don't get me wrong, I love WebOS. It is open, and a joy to work with. But the lack of functionality, on top of the poor build quality (don't even try to debate that issue), and this update that has, IMHO, hurt the web browser, is extremely upsetting and disappointing. I have had patience. You tell me when you think yours will run out. 1 month? 3 months? A year? When do you think it will be ok to complain?
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    Yes, my argument does still pertain to you in the fact that your provider has more than linkely not implemented EAS in the appropriate way. I go back to my argument that there is a known and working EAS implementation that is well documented. What sounds more reasonable - Palm build to this standard or build an EAS implementation that conforms to every possible IT departments wim? I would guess they probably build to the known, working, and well documented solution.
    The whole argument is academic anyway because neither you nor I have any idea how my provider (1and1.com), or any of the other providers, have configured their Exchange servers. All I can point out to you is that their configuration (whatever it is) has worked not only for the Pre, but also for every smartphone (Treo--PalmOS, Treo--WinMo, Touch Diamond--WinMo, etc.) that I've used with them, and had no issues until WebOS 1.2. So what does that say about who is following a standard implementation?

No one is suggesting that Palm build their e-mail client to function at the whim of every possible configuration of Exchange. Don't be so dramatic--it's unnecessary. All I'm suggesting is that Palm made a change to their client software such that what was once working (along with other clients) is now NOT working. Whether that change was to conform with a Microsoft-compliant "standard" configuration or not--YOU don't know, so stop pretending that you do, and don't assume that anyone complaining about the situation is wrong to do so.

Unless you're the system administrator of EVERY provider that is having issues with the change that Palm made, or an engineer working on the Pre's e-mail client, you can't possibly KNOW what was done to cause the e-mail situation. You're not an authority on it.

I can appreciate what you're trying to say. Sure standards need to be followed...but since we don't know that they are NOT being followed, the onus for investigation to solve the current situation has to lie with whomever last made a change in their code--namely Palm.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Morrison, I am on 3rd Pre. 1st was due to what I know know was a battery issue (gap causing phone to turn off when closed) 2nd Turned out that Sprint gave me an Phone which was returned due to defects excessive gap (Refurbed w/o being refurbed lol) 3rd no problems.

Your right that these post don't speak for everyone. However, our post have been used as a resource for certain sites to present the Pre in a negative light. This can and may influence consumers to avoid the Pre. However, for the most part it appears that the Pre is viewed mostly in a positive light
    [Pre's review] Palm Pre detailed information (Phone Arena) Palm Pre (Sprint) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews Palm Pre (mostly) praised in early reviews: Consumer Reports Electronics Blog

[iPhone 3Gs review] Apple iPhone 3GS detailed information (Phone Arena) Apple iPhone 3GS - 16GB - black (AT&T) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews iPhone 3G S vs Palm Pre: Consumer Reports Lab Test

So overall, the Pre is doing very well which I agree with. I do not think that other phone are coming out with more features which the Pre desperately needs. The Pre has stuff that others don't have and like wise. Like I said I am not trying criticize anyone from venting, complaining, etc... I am only asking to become more constructive in our approach.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123