Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1. #21  
    Those without issues need to do a screen capture and then get back to us.

    But that is aminor bug.

    What really ticks me off is Palm still did not fix the /var partition.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  2. #22  
    I'm betting most folks with serious problems had hacks installed which led to the problem.

    This is one of the reasons I haven't bothered with hacks. Homebrew is fine, but anything that fundamentally modifies the OS is risky.

    I suggest anyone who is having problems to fire up WebOS Doctor, restore to factory settings, then try installing again.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Some people will never be satisfied [i.e. video recording] and others truly have issue, yet most of their problems can be answered. I have noticed that most of the Newb's will create new threads/posts even though there are several already created. It would be nice if everyone used the search feature on this forum. So that way helpful posts, new features,discussions, etc.. don't get overlooked

    I personally consider the 1.2 update as a move in the right direction and it has brought many improvements. Theres still room for Palm to improve this platform. All I can say is be patient. If video recording is that important then either switch phone or suck it up.

    I do not mean to disrespect any poster's views nor their preferences. I understand that certain things are more impt to some vs others. Yet lets try to keep things positive and appreciate what we have.
    Really, having noobs post over and over simple NON-problems is annoying, but I would not say that the lack of video recording is why people are *****ing. Saying we need to be patient is a cop-out for Palm, and that type of thinking has to stop. There is absolutely no reason why we have to hack into the phone to release functionality that ALREADY EXISTS IN THE CODE! This update could've been huge, finally opening up the phone for its full potential. But instead we get "swiping from the top brings down the app/connectivity menus." Big f'n deal! Give me video recording. Give me increased speed in focusing my photo roll. Give me the ability to customize the phone without hacking into it. Give me something more than a plain jane kiddie media player (seriously, it takes DanPLC to create a usable music player?) Come on guys. I've had the pre since day one. I waited for it since it was announced, stood in line to get it, gave them a pass on build quality since it was a gen 1 device, completely understood the lack of apps at launch, and even defended them through the last few updates. I was a complete Palm apologist. Now I'm done. If we don't hold them to the standard they need to be at, they will continue to drag their feet and give uss half-assed updates that basically improve nothing.
    And if you seriously think the browser is faster, with its suddenly jerky movements and increased checkerboarding, you need to re-evaluate your definition of speedy and smooth. I hate to say it as much as you hate to hear it, but play with an iphone. No matter what you think of the evil empire, their product makes the pre's browser look dated.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Really, having noobs post over and over simple NON-problems is annoying, but I would not say that the lack of video recording is why people are *****ing. Saying we need to be patient is a cop-out for Palm, and that type of thinking has to stop. There is absolutely no reason why we have to hack into the phone to release functionality that ALREADY EXISTS IN THE CODE! This update could've been huge, finally opening up the phone for its full potential. But instead we get "swiping from the top brings down the app/connectivity menus." Big f'n deal! Give me video recording. Give me increased speed in focusing my photo roll. Give me the ability to customize the phone without hacking into it. Give me something more than a plain jane kiddie media player (seriously, it takes DanPLC to create a usable music player?) Come on guys. I've had the pre since day one. I waited for it since it was announced, stood in line to get it, gave them a pass on build quality since it was a gen 1 device, completely understood the lack of apps at launch, and even defended them through the last few updates. I was a complete Palm apologist. Now I'm done. If we don't hold them to the standard they need to be at, they will continue to drag their feet and give uss half-assed updates that basically improve nothing.
    And if you seriously think the browser is faster, with its suddenly jerky movements and increased checkerboarding, you need to re-evaluate your definition of speedy and smooth. I hate to say it as much as you hate to hear it, but play with an iphone. No matter what you think of the evil empire, their product makes the pre's browser look dated.
    I have used both the iPhone 3G and 3Gs. There is no true difference from Apple and Palm. All are great!

    "Saying we need to be patient is a cop-out for Palm, and that type of thinking has to stop" remember Palm will work hard to gain a good reputation. People complaining and threatening to get another manufacturer's phone does not solve the problem. Lets face it people who take that stance are never happy and only think that they are the only ones who matter. Palm will not take their comments seriously.

    "Give me the ability to customize the phone without hacking into it." Technically you are not "Hacking into it." This phone is based on an Open Source OS. Hence people are customizing/modifying the phone to their liking. Its not like people are breaking into a Phone which is locked and denies you access to its "root"

    "I was a complete Palm apologist. Now I'm done. If we don't hold them to the standard they need to be at, they will continue to drag their feet and give uss half-assed updates that basically improve nothing." Thats odd according to most of your post you seem to criticize the phone starting with the Accuwether app. So no offense, but if you are done, then why are you still complaining? Go get a different phone. Maybe the iPhone, Android, or BB will suit what you are looking for. Obviously considering the fact you cam from a WinMo phone it seems those are you only options.

    Good luck on your "Perfect Phone" journey
    Last edited by kmehr; 09/29/2009 at 08:55 PM.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    I have used both the iPhone 3G and 3Gs. There is no true difference from Apple and Palm. All are great!

    "Saying we need to be patient is a cop-out for Palm, and that type of thinking has to stop" remember Palm will work hard to gain a good reputation. People complaining and threatening to get another manufacturer's phone does not solve the problem. Lets face it people who take that stance are never happy and only think that they are the only ones who matter. Palm will not take their comments seriously.

    "Give me the ability to customize the phone without hacking into it." Technically you are not "Hacking into it." This phone is based on an Open Source OS. Hence people are customizing/modifying the phone to their liking. Its not like people are breaking into a Phone which is locked and denies you access to its "root"

    "I was a complete Palm apologist. Now I'm done. If we don't hold them to the standard they need to be at, they will continue to drag their feet and give uss half-assed updates that basically improve nothing." Thats odd according to most of your post you seem to criticize the phone starting with the Accuwether app. So no offense, but if you are done, then why are you still complaining? Go get a different phone. Maybe the iPhone, Android, or BB will suit what you are looking for. Obviously considering the fact you cam from a WinMo phone it seems those are you only options.

    Good luck on your "Perfect Phone" journey
    Kmehr...
    First, I did not come from a winmo phone, like you falsly state. Not sure why you would say that. Second, no where in my post did I mention, or even allude to, AccuWeather or any other application. Again, why you would say this is beyond me. Third, when I say I'm done, I mean I'm done defending Palm and the phone. I'm sorry, but when we purchase a product, are we not allowed to criticize the product if it does not work properly or does not live up to the standards we as consumers have?
    I am not looking for the "Perfect Phone." When Palm introduced WebOS and the pre, I immediately purchased their stock, and eagerly awaited the pre's release for 6 months. I have supported Palm and this phone from the get-go. I brought my brother over from Verizon to Sprint for the phone. I have talked 4 friends into getting the phone. What I EXPECT is a phone that at least matches the functionality of other smart phones out there. I knew video recording was not going to be immediately available, but what is the holdup? Why have they commented out sooooo much of the WebOS funtions that individuals have had to find patches (sorry for using the term hacking. Wouldn't want to offend you again) to enable them. I'm sure Palm had a good reason for crippling them at release, but at this point, there is no excuse for not bringing those abilities out in the phone. Why can't they enable adding or deleting pages to the launcher? Why do they not enable landscape mode in email/messaging? THESE are the concerns I'm addressing.
    I don't want to get another phone, nor do I find that type of argument valid at all. I put my phone investment into Palm, instead of their competition, and I am not going to spend money on an unsubsidized phone just because this phone is not up to par. I want it to work the way it should. I knew it was going to be an unfinished product when I bought it, but there is no excuse for having it as unfinished as it is right now.
    On on your other point, it is EXACTLY the consumers somplaining about the product and threatening to move to a competitior that spurs both innovation and improvement in a product. Why do you think Palm came out with webOS? It is because other companies developed OS that were superior to PalmOS, but Palm did not stay with the times, and their bottom line suffered. Trust me, if there are enough people upset with Palm and how they are handling their rollout, they will respond, in order to keep their customer base. Letting them off the hook because everything is new is not an excuse. It is time they start fixing their product, or they WILL be losing customers.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 09/30/2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: .
  6. #26  
    major issue just found with no sound for all major default and non default applications but calls and notifications work fine ...

    no hacks or major tweaks installled either
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    major issue just found with no sound for all major default and non default applications but calls and notifications work fine ...

    no hacks or major tweaks installled either
    Sound is fine here. You might want to check your volume sliders and make sure they are turned up.

    Look in the main preferences dialog, and also press the ringer volume up switch when in those apps.
  8. #28  
    main pref sounds are maxed out but volume up stopped working after
    update strangely, think this maybe the problem, posted a separate post to see if others are having sound issues
  9. Shadnic's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    #29  
    A good rule of thumb is that for every 1 person that makes a post complaining about some aspect of this phone, there's about 90,000 Pre owners that are completely content and/or not affected by the so-called "problem".
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    I'm betting most folks with serious problems had hacks installed which led to the problem.

    This is one of the reasons I haven't bothered with hacks. Homebrew is fine, but anything that fundamentally modifies the OS is risky.

    I suggest anyone who is having problems to fire up WebOS Doctor, restore to factory settings, then try installing again.
    Then you would lose the bet. The problems with Exchange are very real and are NOT user error related. I had no hacks on my phone and I'm not a newbie. 1.2 broke Exchange on my Pre and many others. It was working fine since launch day in June.

    Just because you personally haven't had an issue doesn't invalidate other people's problems or make them their own fault.
  11. #31  
    I tired to search a few times and its hard because it takes you to a thread but you still have to go through the posts to find what you looking for
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Then you would lose the bet. The problems with Exchange are very real and are NOT user error related. I had no hacks on my phone and I'm not a newbie. 1.2 broke Exchange on my Pre and many others. It was working fine since launch day in June.

    Just because you personally haven't had an issue doesn't invalidate other people's problems or make them their own fault.
    I understand there may be problems with hosted exchange services. But IMO, most exchange problems have been and probably are still caused by poorly / incorrectly configured systems and networks (not a Palm Issue - other than Palm not including EAS secuirty features on initial release).

    If it is your own hosted solution, search this forum (or MS knowledge base) for the link to the knowledge base on how to properly set up the exchange server. I had numerous issue when I first got my treo 700w. Found this, did it, and everything has worked fine since. I almost didnt get my Pre with all the reports of the Exchange 'issues'. Bit the bullet, enter exchange account in store, and was downloading everything as I left. WebOS 1.2 update - EAS still working. If you are using one of these hosted solutions, my bet is they have a configuration issue. Everyone likes to blame palm. But there is a known and working configuration that WM and WebOS works very well with. Implement it whoever you are.

    And just to get this out there also cause I recall someone having a post within the last couple of days about it......use SSL. Who in there right mind would have an Exchange server with EAS and not use SSL. And on top of that, dont be a cheap ***** and use a self signed cert. Buy a godaddy cert and implement. Cuts out a lot of problems.

    OK....VENTING DONE
    Last edited by bgriffin1497; 09/30/2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: FRUSTRATION
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    A good rule of thumb is that for every 1 person that makes a post complaining about some aspect of this phone, there's about 90,000 Pre owners that are completely content and/or not affected by the so-called "problem".
    You just pulled those numbers out of thin air. The number of people affected by a problem depends on the problem and how wide-spread it is. It is not some arbitrary ratio that you can just make up. You only end up looking foolish.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    I understand there may be problems with hosted exchange services. But IMO, most exchange problems have been and probably are still caused by poorly / incorrectly configured systems and networks (not a Palm Issue - other than Palm not including EAS secuirty features on initial release).
    I like Palm. Don't get me wrong. But in the case of Exchange, Palm is clearly at fault. It was working before 1.2. Now it is broken after 1.2. Nothing else changed and no other mail clients are having issues. My desktop works fine with the same provider. My previous phone (a Touch Diamond running WinMo 6) worked fine with the same provider.

    Yes, there really ARE issues with 1.2 and they need to be acknowledged and fixed, not swept under the rug or ignored just because it's only affecting an unknown percentage of users.
  15. zenaa96's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No issues here with 1.2. Nice list of improvements over 1.1
    Ditto Here!
    Only Homebrew Apps added. No other hacks, mods, or tweeks so far.
    Last edited by zenaa96; 09/30/2009 at 09:11 AM.
  16.    #36  
    Well, I will just say this. My EAS that is properly set up (per MS knowledgebase) and using an SSL cert issued by Godaddy works just fine. I removed tweaks as recommended in forum for past two weeks and dont have a bricked phone. Wont try to implement tweaks again until new WebOS QI comes out to minimize risk of bricking phone. If I wanted to implement tweaks without bricking phone, could follow directions from forum and use previous version of QI. To me, most of these problems are 1) user error or 2) an extension of user error - DA IT errors (which most tech savy people know there are many people that think they are IT and know their crap when in actuallity, they don't).
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    I understand there may be problems with hosted exchange services. But IMO, most exchange problems have been and probably are still caused by poorly / incorrectly configured systems and networks (not a Palm Issue - other than Palm not including EAS secuirty features on initial release).

    If it is your own hosted solution, search this forum (or MS knowledge base) for the link to the knowledge base on how to properly set up the exchange server. I had numerous issue when I first got my treo 700w. Found this, did it, and everything has worked fine since. I almost didnt get my Pre with all the reports of the Exchange 'issues'. Bit the bullet, enter exchange account in store, and was downloading everything as I left. WebOS 1.2 update - EAS still working. If you are using one of these hosted solutions, my bet is they have a configuration issue. Everyone likes to blame palm. But there is a known and working configuration that WM and WebOS works very well with. Implement it whoever you are.

    And just to get this out there also cause I recall someone having a post within the last couple of days about it......use SSL. Who in there right mind would have an Exchange server with EAS and not use SSL. And on top of that, dont be a cheap ***** and use a self signed cert. Buy a godaddy cert and implement. Cuts out a lot of problems.

    OK....VENTING DONE
    First off, I'm not running my own server, so that part of your argument is not applicable to me. Second, the servers didn't spontaneously change their configurations just to break WebOS. Those very same configurations were working fine prior to WebOS 1.2. Palm made a change and that change is incompatible with some servers' configurations. Bottom line.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    First off, I'm not running my own server, so that part of your argument is not applicable to me. Second, the servers didn't spontaneously change their configurations just to break WebOS. Those very same configurations were working fine prior to WebOS 1.2. Palm made a change and that change is incompatible with some servers' configurations. Bottom line.
    Yes, my argument does still pertain to you in the fact that your provider has more than linkely not implemented EAS in the appropriate way. I go back to my argument that there is a known and working EAS implementation that is well documented. What sounds more reasonable - Palm build to this standard or build an EAS implementation that conforms to every possible IT departments wim? I would guess they probably build to the known, working, and well documented solution.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Kmehr...
    First, I did not come from a winmo phone, like you falsly state. Not sure why you would say that. Second, no where in my post did I mention, or even allude to, AccuWeather or any other application. Again, why you would say this is beyond me. Third, when I say I'm done, I mean I'm done defending Palm and the phone. I'm sorry, but when we purchase a product, are we not allowed to criticize the product if it does not work properly or does not live up to the standards we as consumers have?
    I am not looking for the "Perfect Phone." When Palm introduced WebOS and the pre, I immediately purchased their stock, and eagerly awaited the pre's release for 6 months. I have supported Palm and this phone from the get-go. I brought my brother over from Verizon to Sprint for the phone. I have talked 4 friends into getting the phone. What I EXPECT is a phone that at least matches the functionality of other smart phones out there. I knew video recording was not going to be immediately available, but what is the holdup? Why have they commented out sooooo much of the WebOS funtions that individuals have had to find patches (sorry for using the term hacking. Wouldn't want to offend you again) to enable them. I'm sure Palm had a good reason for crippling them at release, but at this point, there is no excuse for not bringing those abilities out in the phone. Why can't they enable adding or deleting pages to the launcher? Why do they not enable landscape mode in email/messaging? THESE are the concerns I'm addressing.
    I don't want to get another phone, nor do I find that type of argument valid at all. I put my phone investment into Palm, instead of their competition, and I am not going to spend money on an unsubsidized phone just because this phone is not up to par. I want it to work the way it should. I knew it was going to be an unfinished product when I bought it, but there is no excuse for having it as unfinished as it is right now.
    On on your other point, it is EXACTLY the consumers somplaining about the product and threatening to move to a competitior that spurs both innovation and improvement in a product. Why do you think Palm came out with webOS? It is because other companies developed OS that were superior to PalmOS, but Palm did not stay with the times, and their bottom line suffered. Trust me, if there are enough people upset with Palm and how they are handling their rollout, they will respond, in order to keep their customer base. Letting them off the hook because everything is new is not an excuse. It is time they start fixing their product, or they WILL be losing customers.
    I can understand where you are coming from. In essence it's truly aggrevating that they seem to skirt around the things the users are truly asking for. Such things that people on here have already found fixes "tweaks" for. Obviously these are things the end user is simply asking for. Things as simple as Text Forwarding have yet to be addressed? What's the hold up? The fix has all but been handed to them months ago... This is just one of many examples, just look at the QI Tweaks. The exsist because people asked for them because they believe that simple things like these (though some seem minor) should exist on a smartphone. Some have came here to fix those issues themselves while others have returned the phone thus leaving a sour taste in their mouth about Palm (not good for a company trying to redeem themselves). I have seen this play out numerous times, both by people I have referred the phone to, friends and sitting in the store watching people return their Pre who were in awe that it lacked such basic functionality...
    Last edited by UltraVegas; 09/30/2009 at 09:31 AM.
  20. #40  
    I think what makes it worst is that Palm knows these fixes exsist, All it takes is find the code, copy, paste, fixed... It's already been done for them
    Last edited by UltraVegas; 09/30/2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typo, typing from phone :-/
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions