Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm decided to enable diagonal scrolling in the browser. Seems reasonable, right?

But now on every mobile optimized site that just fits the screen, like PreCentral or Google Reader, scrolling bounces the screen sideways unless you're very careful with your scrolling gesture.

Clearly a step back in usability.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    YES, my only complaint so far. I hate that.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I notice when clicking on a field it autozooms so you can better seeing what your entering in the table. For exampe entering info like user name it zooms in,pretty cool feature....
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    AutoZoom on Form fields is implemented horribly. It doesn't need to zoom for every form field but it does - making it harder to use some web sites.
    DOA: Death Of Auto-Zoom
    I was filling out a form and didn't know what information it was requiring without zooming back out. Kind of added alot of work by zooming in and out.....
    +1

I do not like the bouncing effect now when scrolling!
    +2

i just try to scroll down in a mobile optimized page and now it always bounces left/right when theres no need to, just trying to scroll down

please undo this feature palm!!!
    +2

i just try to scroll down in a mobile optimized page and now it always bounces left/right when theres no need to, just trying to scroll down

please undo this feature palm!!!
    I don't know why they don't just add a "on/off" option for features like this. It caters to both people who like or dislike features.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I wonder if they maybe had to change that since Apple has a patent on the locking to a horizontal or vertical only scroll
    f apple
    Auto-zooming into a text field is not all that useful if it doesn't also automatically follow your cursor as you type. Hard to believe we got the one and not the other.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    yeah i was disappointed when it didn't scroll along with the cursor as I typed.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Is everyone else still getting annoying checkerboarding?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I wonder if they maybe had to change that since Apple has a patent on the locking to a horizontal or vertical only scroll
    I wonder how every other web browser on the planet gets around this since then...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    Is everyone else still getting annoying checkerboarding?
    I don't know what can be done about checkerboarding. It's a tradeoff and I think a necessary one given limitations.

On Android there is no checkerboarding, but scrolling is very laggy as it waits for everything to render.

You can see the corollary here with the calendar lag. What should be the priority, responding to user gesture or rendering everything first? The calendar tries to render everything at the expense of being responsive to user gestures.

On more powerful devices, and OS that support multithreading, this work can be done quickly enough or in the background while still being responsive to user input.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    But now on every mobile optimized site that just fits the screen, like PreCentral or Google Reader, scrolling bounces the screen sideways unless you're very careful with your scrolling gesture.
    I noticed this as well, but only for some mobile sites. For example, Engadget's front page (Engadget) doesn't do this while specific news articles do.

I'm guessing there's some specific programming causing this to happen for some pages, but not others?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I noticed this as well, but only for some mobile sites. For example, Engadget's front page (Engadget) doesn't do this while specific news articles do.

I'm guessing there's some specific programming causing this to happen for some pages, but not others?
    It does it on Engadget too. But you raise an interesting point, Palm could possibly use the viewport meta tag to control this behavior.
    I agree diagonal scrolling sucks!

What sites are built to scroll diagonally? Definitely not the majority.

Please Palm, make this an "option" at the very least so we can turn it off!
  20.    #20  
    This kind of feature can be done right and not require an option. It's one of many things Palm seems to be throwing at the UI without much thought.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast