Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    have you seen the movie " Gladiator " ?
    Of course, en español. BTW, I think the topic text is self explanatory, talking about which country...

OTOH, English (from England), French (from France), Portuguese (from Portugal, so Spanish (from Spain)... All the research I've made about "spaniard" refers it as old definition (sorry, I'm don't know how to write "arcaico" correctly in English).
  2.    #22  
    Or should we Spaniards use a different word for our nationality in Spanish?
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Of course, en español. BTW, I think the topic text is self explanatory, talking about which country...

OTOH, English (from England), French (from France), Portuguese (from Portugal, so Spanish (from Spain)... All the research I've made about "spaniard" refers it as old definition (sorry, I'm don't know how to write "arcaico" correctly in English).
    Tio,

No hay problema. The word you are looking for is archaic...

Have you seen Fermet's Room? It just became available here and I do love Spanish Horror... REC, El Orfanato, Cronocrimenes...
    Last edited by luvmyq9c; 09/30/2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: my spanish spelling STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!
  4.    #24  
    I don't. Is in my (enormous) list. I've 2 little children, so I have not too much time to watch movies. You should see "Airbag" it's not terror, but is very, very funny (althought a good translation is neccesary, they play a lot with talking styles (acentos en español).

"Abre los ojos", the original Vanilla Sky (without Tom Cruise)... talking about Terror films, of course "Los Otros". And of course (joking right now), "karate a muerte en Torremolinos": the biggest piece of bull**** I've seen, only comparable with Peter Jackson's "Brain Dead".
    ok copy that !! i guess our internet world here in the USA is using old definitions.. put it this way.. in Europe might be a different terminology.. but here in the USA " spanish " is a language and i go by that...Two main languages here in the USA are English and Spanish (not actually people from spain) :0)
  6.    #26  
    ok copy that !! i guess our internet world here in the USA is using old definitions.. put it this way.. in Europe might be a different terminology.. but here in the USA " spanish " is a language and i go by that...Two main languages here in the USA are English and Spanish (not actually people from spain) :0)
    Ok, no problem with that. Only two main languages? that's sooo bad... we have 4 official (Spanish, Catalan, Euskera, Galego) and two unofficial (SMS and HOYGAN), althought listening some people, I think there are much more...
    lol.. no amigo, main like most widely use... but we speak over 300 languages here.. (including all those you just mentioned ! :0) )
    I don't. Is in my (enormous) list. I've 2 little children, so I have not too much time to watch movies. You should see "Airbag" it's not terror, but is very, very funny (althought a good translation is neccesary, they play a lot with talking styles (acentos en español).

"Abre los ojos", the original Vanilla Sky (without Tom Cruise)... talking about Terror films, of course "Los Otros". And of course (joking right now), "karate a muerte en Torremolinos": the biggest piece of bull**** I've seen, only comparable with Peter Jackson's "Brain Dead".
    I have seen Abre Los Ojos and Los Otros, great movies. And have mostly the whole Paul Naschy(Jacinto Molina) collection. One of my fav's is El Espanto Surge de la Tomba!!! Since it's almost halloween I'll be watching those again shortly. I've also seen quite a few of Almadovar's stuff as well.

I still want my Barcelo!!!!!!!!!!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    I still want my Barcelo!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok, and a Baines con hielo for me.
    mexicano aqui. no abra un app para el mundial??
    (correctly defined by you) interchangeably with Hispanic (which generally means a person that is from or has ancestors from a Spanish-speaking country). You, being from Spain, are Spanish.
    Wrongggggggggg !!!(are these peple talking about education?? )
    For someone that is so clearly wrong, you have a lot of conviction- I guess that's a positive... You're spelling and grammar pretty clearly show that you are highly educated. Spanish is a language and a nationality. Just like French or English. I speak English. I'm not English, I'm American. I speak Spanish. I'm not Spanish, I'm Mexican (-American ). You're Dominican, not Spanish. You speak Spanish. You speak English. But you are neither Spanish nor English. You're from a Spanish-speaking country. You're Hispanic. Or Spanish-speaking. But you're quite clearly not Spanish.

As for "Hispanic" not being a favored term, it has to do with the etymology of the word and the political background of it and it's description of a broad swath of people as coming from Spain- when many of those people don't identify with Spain. Lol, it's complicated.
    As for movies, El Orfanato is awesome. As are most of Almodovar's films. I can't wait to visit Spain someday. I want to go to Camp Nou to watch Barca play!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts

Creo que "Spaniard" no es tan arcaico ('archaic' en inglés). No hay otra palabra que quiere decir "un español" en inglés.

Spaniard is the only English noun to refer to someone from Spain. You can say that someone is Spanish, but not "a Spanish." For most Latin countries, the same word works as both noun and adjective (Mexican, Puerto Rican, etc.), but not for Spain.

On another word-use issue that's been discussed in this thread, I think "Hispanic" is gradually giving way to "Latino/a" in the U.S.. To me, Latino has a nice Latin lilt. It probably makes sense that an English word is gradually being replaced by a Spanish one to refer to folks who are or are descended from Spanish-speakers. (Latino/a is also a word in Italian and Portuguese, which, of course, are also Latin languages, but in the U.S. only seems to be used to refer to people whose family hails from a Spanish-speaking country.) It's true that the distinction between Latino and Latina is lost on many English speakers, but that may change over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    As for movies, El Orfanato is awesome. As are most of Almodovar's films. I can't wait to visit Spain someday. I want to go to Camp Nou to watch Barca play!
    If you liked El Orfanato you will like The Devils Backbone by your paisano Guillermo Del Toro. It's one if his earlier flicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    If you liked El Orfanato you will like The Devils Backbone by your paisano Guillermo Del Toro. It's one if his earlier flicks.
    It's actually next on my Netflix.
    ... You're spelling and grammar pretty clearly show that you are highly educated.
    Your (<--you're^) point is completely understood !
    ... You're spelling and grammar pretty clearly show that you are highly educated.
    Your (<--you're^) point is completely understood !
    Touche.

But then again, I wasn't the one claiming a high level of education on an internet message board.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Soy Capitain! Soy Capitain.........Soy ... Capitain!
    Otro español por aquí y a ver si no entran estos guiris a rebentar el hilo (los hispanohablantes siiiiiii, por su puesto)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12