Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i know, i know, theres plenty of people threads about this already. unfortunately after searching through those threads, i dont really see a definitive answer. do any of these programs work yet? and i know winamp and doubletwist and mediamonkey, drag and drop are available, but i dont want to use those. i'd like a linux and windows compatible solution.... ok flame me if u'd like for not thoroughly using the search function
    i use songbird for my music player now which the pre worked with if u had the ipod plugin and used media sync mode and the pre shows up as an ipod just like before itunes 9 broke it. song bird doesnt have cd rip yet although there close from what ive read so i just use itunes for that have not webos 1.2 tested yet though
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by acidbeaver View Post
    i use songbird for my music player now which the pre worked with if u had the ipod plugin and used media sync mode and the pre shows up as an ipod just like before itunes 9 broke it. song bird doesnt have cd rip yet although there close from what ive read so i just use itunes for that have not webos 1.2 tested yet though
    thanks for the answer... so you are not having to use the folder sync workaround for songbird, like ive seen before? are you using Linux or Windows?
    I'm using SongBird 1.2.0 on Vista Home Premium SP2. There is an addon that you can find real easy using songbird addon finder called ipod device support. I just started using songbird last week and I don't know anything about the workaround. I did just try it out with my pre running 1.2 and it still works
    The newest beta version of Songbird has cd rip function. Although you have to have iTunes installed (as Songbird borrows the cd rip drivers from iTunes). This is only on the Windows version.

But I didn't know Songbird synced with the Pre. Everytime I tried, it did nothing. I had the iPod plugin installed.
    Follow Me On

It works as long as I have it in media sync mode. I just assume that it's the ipod plug in that is making it work as it wouldn't work in usb mode. My ipod shows up too when I use it. I also have MTP device support, Quicktime playback, and Windows Media Playback plugings installed so perhaps it's actully one of those thats makeing it work.
    It works as long as I have it in media sync mode. I just assume that it's the ipod plug in that is making it work as it wouldn't work in usb mode. My ipod shows up too when I use it. I also have MTP device support, Quicktime playback, and Windows Media Playback plugings installed so perhaps it's actully one of those thats makeing it work.
    What OS are you using, Windows?
    I use Linux...So maybe that might be why the iPod plugin doesn't recognize the Pre.
    Follow Me On

I haven't tried it in a while, but I remember Amarok seeing the Pre as an iPod when I played with it in 1.03 or 1.1 days. Just need to make sure you did Media Player mode. This was on Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit.

Haven't tried it in a while, because I just drag over to the USB.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    What OS are you using, Windows?
    I use Linux...So maybe that might be why the iPod plugin doesn't recognize the Pre.

If you're running linux, you should SERIOUSLY consider banshee. I really like the interface, it handles cover art perfectly, handles manual and smart playlists perfectly, and syncs with the Pre perfectly.

The only thing I've had a tiny bit of trouble with using Banshee on linux is removing songs, since I have it set to automatically sync when I plug in my Pre.

The other GREAT tool is gtkpod. gtkpod is useless as a desktop manager/player, but it's great for ipod syncing, and can not only remove tracks and add tracks, but can rebuild the ipod directory structure on the Pre if you do somehting stupid.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    If you're running linux, you should SERIOUSLY consider banshee. I really like the interface, it handles cover art perfectly, handles manual and smart playlists perfectly, and syncs with the Pre perfectly.

The only thing I've had a tiny bit of trouble with using Banshee on linux is removing songs, since I have it set to automatically sync when I plug in my Pre.

The other GREAT tool is gtkpod. gtkpod is useless as a desktop manager/player, but it's great for ipod syncing, and can not only remove tracks and add tracks, but can rebuild the ipod directory structure on the Pre if you do somehting stupid.
    i've had mixed feelings on banshee so far...i think it has a lot of potential, are you able to sync over videos using banshee since it supports video? have you tried rhythmbox yet?
  11.    #11  
    to syphon---- what are you using on your linux machine?

I've tried it (Banshee) before. I prefer Songbird though.
    I never media sync anyway, I just drag & drop via USB mode.

I use Ubuntu Linux 8.10 32-bit. I'll be upgrading to 9.10 next month.
    Follow Me On

I can say the Rhythmbox works for me in media player/sync mode...it automatically is recognized and I can just use the program to move sound files.

Linux Mint 7 (Gloria, based on Ubuntu 9.04) 32-bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    i've had mixed feelings on banshee so far...i think it has a lot of potential, are you able to sync over videos using banshee since it supports video? have you tried rhythmbox yet?
    I have used rhythmbox, since it's installed on Ubuntu by default. It works quite well, but I've found the sync to be unreasonably slow, and if you have music in formats that are not compatible, it just syncs anyway instead of converting. Plus, it doesn't handle cover art very well. The cover art needs to be embeded in the files to work properly, and rhythmbox can't do that, so it won't sync with cover art.

I have read that it can sync video, but haven't tried to figure out how. Because videos are so large, I only keep 1 or 2 movies on there and change them out regularly, so it's easier to use USB drag n drop for videos.

I've tried it (Banshee) before. I prefer Songbird though.
    I never media sync anyway, I just drag & drop via USB mode.

I use Ubuntu Linux 8.10 32-bit. I'll be upgrading to 9.10 next month.
    The only problem with using drag'n'drop for audio, is that if you have cover art in the same folders that isn't embedded in the files, it will copy over too, and the built-in photo app isn't capable of filtering it out. It's not really a problem if you've only got a couple of albums on there, but I keep about 60 albums on my pre, give or take, and having cover art for ever album would make a mig mess. Using GTKpod or Banshee, which are both in apt for Ubuntu, only the media files get synced. Much cleaner.

Also, I just started using banshee last weekend, and it's my understanding that it's been under heavy development lately. I'm running 9.04, so I may be running a newer banshee than you. Take another look at it after 9.10 hits and you upgrade.

On a side note, don't you think it's time to step up to 64bit?
    The only problem with using drag'n'drop for audio, is that if you have cover art in the same folders that isn't embedded in the files, it will copy over too, and the built-in photo app isn't capable of filtering it out. It's not really a problem if you've only got a couple of albums on there, but I keep about 60 albums on my pre, give or take, and having cover art for ever album would make a mig mess. Using GTKpod or Banshee, which are both in apt for Ubuntu, only the media files get synced. Much cleaner.

Also, I just started using banshee last weekend, and it's my understanding that it's been under heavy development lately. I'm running 9.04, so I may be running a newer banshee than you. Take another look at it after 9.10 hits and you upgrade.

On a side note, don't you think it's time to step up to 64bit?
    I embed the coverart into my mp3's. I also rename the album file ".album.jpg" so that it becomes hidden & not found by the photo app.

My laptop can't handle 64-bit. But I'm a casual user. Not as heavy as I used to be, I just use the laptop for music, movies & web browsing.
    Follow Me On

I embed the coverart into my mp3's. I also rename the album file ".album.jpg" so that it becomes hidden & not found by the photo app.
    Like I said, it's not a big deal if we're only talking about a couple albums, but if you've got 1000+ tracks from various sources, in various formats that don't already have cover art embedded, it can be really time consuming to embed all that cover art, and rename all those files to .album.jpg so they're hidden.

It works, and if you don't have that many tracks that need it, it's not even tough.

However, if you're like me and have a music collection that is a huge mess because of all the different programs you've used for managing it over the years, and you've only recently started trying to sort it out, banshee does a really nice job of syncing it all cleanly without any interaction on your part.

I mean, I've got tracks that I ripped back in 1999 using some jukebox program on windows I can't even remember the name of, from CD's I've lost sometime in the last decade. Fixing that kind of mess manually would not be fun.

As far as the slow laptop, I feel your pain. Seriously.
    I use Ubuntu and the tools I've used are Songbird and Banshee. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Songbird
    Songbird does not really work with the Pre out of the gate, you have to use this Folder Sync plug-in and put the Pre in USB Mode. The plug-in is cumbersome and works in mysterious ways, no offense to its author. In particular, I had no trouble with the initial sync, but if I changed something on Songbird, I was mystified as to how to reflect that in the Pre. It provides little feedback as to what it's doing, so I don't know it's if hanging or just slowly adding the songs when I'm resync-ing. Songbird will find albumart for you, but it is terrible quality. There is an Amazon art plugin you can use instead, however, it is currently not working and when it is working, it also does so in mysterious ways.

On the plus side, it does allow you to sync particular playlists to the Pre and uses an easy to read file structure (identical to the one on your computer instead of this FXX/ABCD.mp3 business iTunes uses). It makes finding the songs easier and works great if your music library is larger than the space you've allocated to it on the Pre. Also, Songbird is relatively straightforward, uncluttered, and easy to use unlike some other Linux players out there ::cough::amarcrock::cough::, although it doesn't integrate with Gnome.

Banshee

Banshee works with the Palm Pre's Media Sync mode. This means that if you like iTunes, you can use it as an iTunes replacement without really noticing a difference. At least, in regards to syncing songs and playlists (mostly, more on that later)....videos and podcasts, not my area (but hey, drPodder!). It uses Gnome and the UI is okay. It's great at finding album art and syncs it with the Pre just fine.

The downsides to Banshee (for me) are thus:

Banshee does not work with the Pre in USB mode (for me, at least), even with the USB plug-in enabled. This means you are forced to use Media Sync and the crappy iTunes hierarchy.

Within the media sync mode, you have two options: manual sync and auto sync. If you decide to sync you music manually, it works just fine except...it doesn't sync playlists. By this I mean, you can drag the playlists to the Pre and will put the songs in the playlist on there, however, it does not copy over the playlist itself. You have to rebuild the playlist from scratch.

If you decide to autosync, Banshee will sync your playlists -including smart lists! However, Banshee does not come with the option to "pick your music library", which means it tries to sync your entire library. If your library is larger than your space, you're screwed. There is no way to tell Banshee to sync a smaller library/playlist of your choosing.

---

At the moment, I'm using Banshee. I've rectified the library problem by autosync-ing after I've removed the non-Pre tracks (easy enough via smart lists) from the library (which doesn't delete them from the harddrive or rescan them in every time you open the program) since I've definitely over the 8GB limit. If you need to have your sync-er and the program you use to play music be the same or you prefer a non-iTunes structure, then you should probably use Songbird. I really hate that plug-in, though.
    Glad to see some fellow Linux users on here! Getting my Pre soon, and this helps me feel good about it.

/Kevin
  19.    #19  
    ok so after spending a few days on songbird... this is my report... you don't need the folder sync plugin to make it work, just need the ipod plugin. occasionally i find that it doesnt see my pre if songbird is active when i plug in the the pre, but this is rare and if i close out songbird and reopen then its fine... it does not sync album art for me and ive tried even embedding it... but as far as putting music on or off the pre it works like a charm... im using both windows and ubuntu 9.10 for songbird... so far i love it and would recommend it to anyone wanting an open source itunes alternative.

for those on here using ubuntu 9.10 and trying to get banshee to work... it is likely you will need to download the unstable version of podsleuth from debian sid repos, or compile podsleuth yourself fixing a call to libsgutils1, to libsgutils2(i think thats the problem)... after i fixed this basnshee and podsleuth saw the pre, but for some odd reason double listed it... at this point i got tired and gave up, went back to songbird.

rhythmbox works great too but its not cross platform...

basically i suggest give songbird a try and try out its fantastic plugins... try out mytunes feather, smartypants, ipod support, shoutcast, exorcist
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I tried Songbird a while back and it didn't have album art sync capabilities while using the iPod plugin. Has that changed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast