Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I just got a too many cards error with one card open. It wasn't even a very graphics intensive page either. I was really hoping that this update would address this, as it's been one of webOS's biggest problems since launch.

On the bright side, it appears that the half loading issue has been resolved.
    It does seem improved for me, however. The full facebook site used to really clog things up in a pretty big hurry. Now I'm able to leave it open for a while and navigate around. I've had a card with the site open for an hour or more with no ill effects, and I definitely couldn't do that before.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    I just got a too many cards error with one card open. It wasn't even a very graphics intensive page either. I was really hoping that this update would address this, as it's been one of webOS's biggest problems since launch.

On the bright side, it appears that the half loading issue has been resolved.
    Yes this is annoying but its a tradeoff with multitasking. The iPhone 2G/3G and even 3GS suffer the same issues but it's more transparent to users because the iPhone kills processes in the background to free up memory and you're also only running one app at a time. If you want to better understand the challenge, realize the Pre has 256MB of RAM to operate within for both system processes and the browser. Now load some of your favorite websites in Safari (webkit based like Pre browser) and look at the memory usage for Safari on your desktop PC. Realize the Pre is loading the SAME content/website and you'll see the challenge.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It does seem improved for me, however. The full facebook site used to really clog things up in a pretty big hurry. Now I'm able to leave it open for a while and navigate around. I've had a card with the site open for an hour or more with no ill effects, and I definitely couldn't do that before.
    It seems worse to me. Having more than one browser card open with 1.2 is a big no-no nowadays... Something I pointed out when the leaked version came out.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Yes this is annoying but its a tradeoff with multitasking. The iPhone 2G/3G and even 3GS suffer the same issues but it's more transparent to users because the iPhone kills processes in the background to free up memory and you're also only running one app at a time. If you want to better understand the challenge, realize the Pre has 256MB of RAM to operate within for both system processes and the browser. Now load some of your favorite websites in Safari (webkit based like Pre browser) and look at the memory usage for Safari on your desktop PC. Realize the Pre is loading the SAME content/website and you'll see the challenge.
    I appreciate your feedback but I'm afraid that you're missing the point. I had a single web page open and no other cards when I got this message. Typically, I can have this same page and several other pages open in different cards. This is not an issue with hardware limitations. It's a memory leak. Resources are not properly being released when these cards are supposedly closed.
    I appreciate your feedback but I'm afraid that you're missing the point. I had a single web page open and no other cards when I got this message. Typically, I can have this same page and several other pages open in different cards. This is not an issue with hardware limitations. It's a memory leak. Resources are not properly being released when these cards are supposedly closed.
    Agree it coudl be a leak but it could also be related to heavy javascript pages. i.e. I use Google Reader mobile a LOT and that thing eats up memory like nothing else. However, if you load up relatively simple pages you can load up a lot more. It's not perfect, just saying it's a common problem and a challenge.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Agree it coudl be a leak but it could also be related to heavy javascript pages. i.e. I use Google Reader mobile a LOT and that thing eats up memory like nothing else. However, if you load up relatively simple pages you can load up a lot more. It's not perfect, just saying it's a common problem and a challenge.
    I've had it happen on pages that I know don't use any javascript, and when the browser is the only card open. It's a big issue, in my mind, and I was hoping that they were spending the extra time between 8/30 and now fixing it, but I guess my hope was misplaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I've had it happen on pages that I know don't use any javascript, and when the browser is the only card open. It's a big issue, in my mind, and I was hoping that they were spending the extra time between 8/30 and now fixing it, but I guess my hope was misplaced.
    That is definitely weird. I haven't checked but to be sure try turning off Javascript in browser options and see if that helps? I don't have this problem too often at all and I usually can keep multiple browser cards open.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    It's fairly well known that there is a memory leak in the web browser. I remember people talking about it before the pre was even released.

For example, I had 8 cards open, 4 of which were web pages. I tried to open a new web page and it said that there were too many cards open...understandable. I close out every card except for one web page...still get the message...if this page was so intense, it never would have let me open it up beside 7 other cards. In order to open up another card, I have to close out of that last web page. It's as if the resources aren't released until every instance of the web browser is closed. Very annoying!

If they can't fix the leak, this could be resolved by having each web card run as its own process, similar to how the tabs in google chrome operate.
    Perhaps it's worse with multiple browser cards open. I'm certain that it's better with just a single browser card open. I've been able to keep a browser card open and I was not able to do that previously without problems.

I too am disappointed that they didn't get the browser more solid, but for the way I use the web, it's better.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    If they can't fix the leak, this could be resolved by having each web card run as its own process, similar to how the tabs in google chrome operate.
    That is the core problem. As long as everything runs in a single process, there will be lags and memory leaks. On the other hand, processes have overhead. But at least it's predictable and can be managed.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I don't know if I'm right here, but it could be even worse. I'm running european v1.1.3. I think it's the same as US 1.2.0 but I'm not sure. Anyway I can say for me, that it seems like the resources aren't released at all. After several days uptime and surfing I've had the situation that I couldn't start any application anymore. I always got the "Too many cards"-error. Would only resolve by restarting.