Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there's obviously debate as to the speed gains with 1.2 but for me it's noticeably faster in EVERY area. Animations are faster and smooth no matter what's going on. I had 9 cards open and switching between them was smooth as butter, loading the camera app and photos app is lightning quick. Even Pandora loads faster and seems to work better.

Did they do some major software optimization or did they overclock the CPU? Perhaps enable the GPU or something? It seems for me at least, the speed increases are so wide spread it would have to either be some hardcore software optimization or a hardware level bump.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    no i def. agree. I experience no lag while having multiple apps open. My facebook page along with everything else opens up fast and smooth without any lag time. Even scrolling in websites i notice its fast. GJ Guys @ Palm
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    PreGilde is definitely much snapper in it's movements. Since the app didn't change, it's got to be the phone. Way to go Palm!!
    Yep. The Phone app is noticeably faster. The calendar, IMHO, was unusable before the upgrade because of how long it took to load and how long it took to swipe from day to day. Now it ain't bad. .Snappier across the board.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Hmm - for me I noticed more of a lag now. For example, I notice the lag when I choose to open the web browser - when selecting it, it take a second or two longer to open. As far as once I have it opened, it does seem snappy now.

I have only had my Pre a couple days and I have not done any tweaks yet - don;t even know where to start...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Snappier all the way across the board here too. I find my self just wanting to do something on the way because it's so much faster lol.
    You are high.
    I think I got it! I see that its much faster/better on the local icons. Such as changing screens over and what not. If you get into a app like iLike/Concert app that loads a ton of pictures with it as well not much has changed.
    I agree...much improved and can have way more apps open and usable now.

still I think improvements need to be made in the calendar and photo viewing. No way it should take 1-2 seconds to render a picture...especially ones the pre took itself.

overall though I am pretty impressed with the speed upgrade.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    give it some time. i remember my treos being much faster right after an update. the updates defrag the drive, or something to that effect. i don't doubt Palm put some speed tweaks in but i can't imagine all this extra speed is just due to that. my pre was noticeably laggy before the update. i love the speed i hope its permanent.
    My biggest gripe with the leaked 1.2 was that the browsers memory management was terrible, sometimes having just 1 browser window open was enough to pop up the "Sorry, too many cards" message. Hopefully the official has remedied this, but I haven't been able to test it much.
    There is a noticeable speed optimization in the code. I can't wait till the turn on the graphic's chip!

Of course, the tale-tell will be at the end of the day after we have put it through a typical day. Lets hope there's some battery optimization to!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I agree, it seems much faster.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I have to agree w/ seeing extra speed. Calendar is the biggest change. THANK GOD! I was really getting sick of telling people to wait for me to load my callendar. Now I won't have to... Very snappy. I too pray to all of the gods in heaven that it stays this way.
  15.    #15  
    See this thread I just posted, my money is on that they are using cpu scaling and bumping up the CPU speed. That's the only explanation for why the TS can't charge it while doing intensive music streaming via EVDO and then via Bluetooth!!

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...53#post1929853
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    mine was actually much much slower. Almost 30 seconds to open email, web or google maps. Something was obviously wrong. In the middle of the night my battery died (had 70% when i went to bed) So this morning I did a partial erase and it fixed the problem. Now it seems slightly quicker than before. However, a few minutes ago I compared it to a 1.1 pre and the 1.1 was a hair faster in everything. (hers has always been faster than mine)
    I thinks it's amazingly fast! Just picked up two of these last friday, one for me and one for her, and WOW! they seemed to pick up a third more speed. oh yeah, this thing KILLS winmo (as if you didn't know). moved from an omnia (me) touch pro (her)....Thanks PALM!

Chris
    my phone became so fast I had to slow down the timeout for the game app I'm working on!
    I don't know enough about overclocking, but I would expect overclocking to result in even faster performance gains that what we're seeing with this update. 1.2 is noticeably faster and smoother (YMMV, of course), but it's not a gigantic difference. Looks like code optimization to me. It would be nice to confirm one way or the other.