1.    #1  
    i will buy a GSM Pre as soon as it comes out (Oct. 13th), no matter what. Two questions: Is there any hope that the building quality will be a bit better (slider issues, screen "bubbles" etc? Can anybody confirm that there have been any improvements in the CDMA-version over the last months? Well, besides the little plastic piece to hold the battery tight...
    Another question: If handled with care, could i go without any case or screen protector and just put it in my pocket? Or does the Pre take scratches the first day if only starring at it long enough?
    I read that Palm have NO plans to improve the build of the Pre for the GSM market. Such a shame!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    I read that Palm have NO plans to improve the build of the Pre for the GSM market. Such a shame!
    I also read that you can live forever by drinking unicorn blood.

Fact is the GSM version isn't released yet. Until it is, we won't know the changes. Anyone claiming otherwise is merely speculating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Yeah but the pointless comment about unicorn blood didnt come from the bloke who runs Palm.....Mine did.
    I had a release-gen Pre and had it replaced a few weeks ago (water damage). The build quality was improved, but do not expect an iPhone-like or HTC-like build.

I also have another release-gen Pre....yea, it has a bit of the "oreo" in the CLOSED position only (as with most all "oreo" effected Pre). It's still going strong after a daily gym work-out and then in my pocket all day long...every day. In my pocket mowing the lawn on the weekends.

What I'm trying to say is that the build quality DOES NOT affect the functionality or durability. It's just the a side-effect how Palm chose to design the slider, again, when in the CLOSED position.
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    i will buy a GSM Pre as soon as it comes out (Oct. 13th), no matter what. Two questions: Is there any hope that the building quality will be a bit better (slider issues, screen "bubbles" etc? Can anybody confirm that there have been any improvements in the CDMA-version over the last months? Well, besides the little plastic piece to hold the battery tight...
    Another question: If handled with care, could i go without any case or screen protector and just put it in my pocket? Or does the Pre take scratches the first day if only starring at it long enough?
    Seems no one knows for sure so you are going to be build quality tester yourself.

I'm waiting for unlocked Pre so it'd be nice to hear your impressions afterward.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    We are now two months past the launch of the GSM Pre. Any comments on build quality? I mean, are there Owners of an O2 pre who received an oreo-effected/dead-pixel/out-of-the box pre?

It's just that, if I buy a Pre, I'm stuck with it for probably more than two years (I'm not the kind of guy that spends 400 euro's a year on cellphones) and I don't want to make a trip to Germany twice a year...
    I have an O2 Pre (think almost a month now), and technically no real issues with it. But it doesn't feel like a nice solid piece of hardware either unfortunately. In my opinion it feels pretty cheap, especially considering the price. I have the good fortune of living about 3km from the German border, but I hope never to have the need to cross it.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joene View Post
    We are now two months past the launch of the GSM Pre. Any comments on build quality? I mean, are there Owners of an O2 pre who received an oreo-effected/dead-pixel/out-of-the box pre?

It's just that, if I buy a Pre, I'm stuck with it for probably more than two years (I'm not the kind of guy that spends 400 euro's a year on cellphones) and I don't want to make a trip to Germany twice a year...
    Did you look here?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...d-quality.html