Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by luiss View Post
    I can't believe that bringing down their website stops my phone from working! My phone forced me to "restart" or "erase everything" this morning. I can only make an emergency call or contact customer support, and customer support is not open. Aaaarrrghh!
    I had the same issue. I updated yesterday before I started travelling. I set two alarms today. One for 6:00AM CST and another for 6:20AM CST. I snoozed the one at 6:00, and was awakened by my friend who had to leave for work at 7, when I wasn't even awake. I glared angrily at my phone and it said "Restart" or "Erase Everything"...*** kind of options are those? Did I miss somewhere where it said "I hope you didn't need any of your texts, mms photos, or call logs for the last month that you didn't remember to save because this update will Reset your phone and erase all those things"? Not really "complaining" as I know all updates have issues, just adding my name to the list of affected and inconvenienced. Our phones are more important to us than ever these days, and the manufacturers strive day in and day out that we can and should depend on their devices.

Meh,

no issues since.

--josh

EDIT: Additionally, I removed all tweaks and homebrew apps etc before the update. In fact, i had removed several official apps in the past couple days and they were restored. Is it possible that my phone was restored from a previous backup? Do they backup multiple copies? Also realized that ALL of my wifi passwords and settings for work were wiped. Is this not part of the backup also? I'm realizing several things. First, this is way more of an inconvenience than I originally accepted, and second, I was not nearly as screwed over as those of you who have been without your device all day.
    Last edited by GLAzedFAith; 09/29/2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Moments of clarity
    This worked for me but your mileage may vary

Phone must be rooted - I did with the USB cable

#1 root your way in

#2 Invoke sqlite: (I'm not sure if the db file may be different, but it will be in that dir)

sqlite3 /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.firstuse_0/0000000000000003.db

update properties set value='false' where name='isInvalidToken';

update properties set value='language' where name='screenName';

.quit

Exit the linux prompt, and reboot your phone

Note: if you want to be ultra safe about it (as I was), after the sqlite command

execute-> select * from properties;

make a note of the values you are changing

before I updated mine looked like:

55|invalid-token|2|3|screenName|string
    55|true|39|40|isInvalidToken|boolean

basically that is saying screenName="invalid-token", and isInvalidToken="true"

"invalid-token" is that ugly page we were getting constantly upon boot.

I'm not positive if isInvalidToken needs to be set but I set it anyway.
    Last edited by henrymart81; 09/29/2009 at 05:55 PM.
    If it helps at all I've seen issues like this arise at work, especially when our Citrix servers went down. Looks like Palm had a hardware fail on multiple servers and definently mutiple storage drives. Depending on their backup schedule will determine why some of you got a partial restore (i.e. missing some contacts but not all) instead of a full restore because their restore on that drive didn't happen before it crashed.

Like all of you, I too was affected last night by the massive outtage. I waited a good 4 hours before I was able to get all of my information back. The problems were the same as well, at first it wouldn't recognize my email, then it did but wouldn't recognize my password but I couldn't change it and etc. etc. Eventually, where my information was stored, came back up and I was able to restore. Unfortunantly, looks like some of you guys weren't so lucky and appears your information was either completely lost or corrupted by their hardware failue...

Hopefully Palm will learn from this and make the various changes that were suggested and definently take a look at their servers and redesign their network scheme.
    Yeah, I ran doctor and I can't sign in. When I tried to sign in online it doesn't recognize my email... Does this mean I will lose all my contacts?
    This happened to me too... Got logged out of my palm profile the the phone reset to the factory fresh setup. Thanks for the crappy morning Palm
    After I got my phone working again, I noticed that the screenName was now set to done

You could try going straight for that if you feel like but what I posted above is what worked for me.
    I'm beginning to wonder what specifically cause this. Was it just overloaded servers? If the device just couldn't "connect" to the hive, why would it have logged out the device? I've been off the grid for multiple days at a time, and was still able to use the device regularly, with no signal whatsoever. Something more serious must have happened to have logged us out and seemingly remote-wiped our devices. Any "official" word from palm yet that I might have missed?
    This is very annoying
    Is the palm site still down? The login isn't recognizing my e-mail.
    My phone fell off my lap and hit the ground and my phone turned off. I turned it back on and I was able to log in...
    This happened to me too.

It's ridiculous that being unable to access Palm's servers causes the Pre to do a hard reset, causing it to lose most of your configuration and application data. Can you imagine if your computer behaved like that? Wow.

What good is letting apps save data if the next time you can't reach Palm's servers it's all as good as gone? How can you rely on a device that behaves like this with ANY kind of important data? Unbelievable. How hard could it have been to just have the phone oh, I don't know, NOT reset when it can't reach the server?

Where I've worked in the software industry, a bug or design flaw like this that leads to data loss is not just an "oh, every update has it's issues" type of problem. It's a stop-the-presses, priority 0, fix it now problem.
    Wow... I was on chat support w/ Palm and they stated my phone has never been activated. So... where did my old profile go? All my contacts and everything gone....
    I have read through this thread and seems to me that there has to be something y'all have in common, I updated as many others did with no problem, now how could that be?? Maybe its because we have not been screwing with our phones from day 1,rooted patches tweaks who knows what your back up was backing up, I have used quick install to add some tweaks. But removed all mods as soon as update was leaked.been running for 2 weeks that way. I just don't see how people can blame palm . Seems like most of you are proficent in using webosDr I have had my phone since launch day and have never used the Dr. Maybe a lesson learned
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I rooted my pre. I installed MyTether. That's the extent of my rooting... I just wanted to try some of my own applications on it long before the webdev kit was released... I didn't update - once I got the phone recovered, I saw it was available in updates. Think it has more to do with the automatic download and update rather than you all who knew there was an update and did it by hand. Because the other common feature is 'I woke up and....' rather than all who apparently knew they updated... it was only this crash that made me look here, and find out that there was indeed an update.

I even went to a sprint store, and they were unable to help (even the guy that was 'a real wizard with pre, and loves them). They ordered me a new one... now I'm thinkin, ya, I could probably use a new battery, and refreshed case which is NOT to say I was not LOST without my pre - for instance I couldn't got to 'Where' and find the closes sprint store, and get the handy route plotted on google maps!

Though, I did browse my pre once I got back home, and found out most of the databases and configurations were actually already on my phone. (Oh, I had also had my wallpaper set to one of the '420 wallpapers', and that didn't come back after the restore). I had actually run all the forms of wiping out data, and was rather surprised to find that all my databases were still in /var/palm/data/....
    Last edited by D3x0r; 09/29/2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymart81 View Post
    This worked for me but your mileage may vary

Phone must be rooted - I did with the USB cable

#1 root your way in

#2 Invoke sqlite: (I'm not sure if the db file may be different, but it will be in that dir)

sqlite3 /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.firstuse_0/0000000000000003.db

update properties set value='false' where name='isInvalidToken';

update properties set value='language' where name='screenName';

.quit

Exit the linux prompt, and reboot your phone

Note: if you want to be ultra safe about it (as I was), after the sqlite command

execute-> select * from properties;

make a note of the values you are changing

before I updated mine looked like:

55|invalid-token|2|3|screenName|string
    55|true|39|40|isInvalidToken|boolean

basically that is saying screenName="invalid-token", and isInvalidToken="true"

"invalid-token" is that ugly page we were getting constantly upon boot.

I'm not positive if isInvalidToken needs to be set but I set it anyway.
    I spent hours on the problem as well, and eventually fixed it a different way, though I cannot explain exactly why my way worked just as well as yours.

First I must note that the only reason I was able to do the fix is because I had already installed dropbear (ssh server) and was able to get into the phone that way. My phone would not let me in via usb and the restart was ineffective. Unlike others, I was extremely stubborn and refused to do the erase all data until I was sure I had a copy of everything I wanted... but I digress.

I did two things and can only say for certain that it worked after doing the second. It's possible the first step was not needed.

1) I used sqlite3 to edit /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3 and edited the row with my profile information in it in the com_palm_accountservices_data_AccountToken table. More specifically, I updated the row and changed the state from 'Invalid' to 'B' (which is what was in that row/column on a working pre).

2) I touched /var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use so it would know it did not need me to sign in again

Rebooting after doing those two things fixed it.

If anyone wants more details/instructions, let me know.
    One more comment:

This was definitely not related to 1.2 (since I had not updated) and was instead a direct result of the Palm servers going down in the middle of the night last night. Why some people were affected and other were not, I cannot say, but based on the timestamps on some of my files, I'm guessing mine got hosed around 3:30am CST.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucker2316 View Post
    I have read through this thread and seems to me that there has to be something y'all have in common, I updated as many others did with no problem, now how could that be?? Maybe its because we have not been screwing with our phones from day 1,rooted patches tweaks who knows what your back up was backing up, I have used quick install to add some tweaks. But removed all mods as soon as update was leaked.been running for 2 weeks that way. I just don't see how people can blame palm . Seems like most of you are proficent in using webosDr I have had my phone since launch day and have never used the Dr. Maybe a lesson learned
    Please read the whole thread before talking out of your ***. Many of us had not even updated to 1.2 and got signed out of our phones, then when we restored our Palm profiles, where everything is supposed to be backed up every day, we lost many of our contacts, stored app data, wi-fi passwords, texts, emails, call logs, etc. This had nothing to do with 1.2, or with any tweaks or homebrew apps. This was a major snafu on Palm's part, and the cloud backup that's supposed to be storing our data in case we ever need to restore the phone apparently isn't doing a very good job of saving our stuff.
    Well to add in ... I hosed my phone during the update, dont know how or why but I did, so I ran the webosdoctor - only like 30-40 contacts of 300 came back, so i called palm, level one had me do a "partial reset", did nothing, level 2, did the SAME EXACT THING, and said "level 3 will call you in 24-48 hrs"
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I can be wrong, but your only option is to doctor it (erasing all info)
    How do you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucker2316 View Post
    I just don't see how people can blame palm . Seems like most of you are proficent in using webosDr I have had my phone since launch day and have never used the Dr. Maybe a lesson learned
    wow. Now somehow you're better than everyone else. Just like yourself I had a few tweaks applied via quick install and removed all before updating. How can people blame palm? What about the people in this very thread, which you claim to have read, that hadn't even updated yet? Why come to a "I'm having problem X" thread if your only input is, "It didn't happen to me, so you must've deserved it." also, webOSdr is a palm application designed to repair the pre, in many cases damaged at no fault of the owner...so really, the ONLY responsible party here IS Palm.

</rant>
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast