Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Ok, I downloaded webOS 1.2 hoping for some type of calendar "fixes" but as far as I can tell the calendar is still as "laggy" as ever.

I decided to try using google's mobile calendar through the web browser and I was pretty impressed. Not only does it show the full calendar view but it has the days agenda right underneath. (very cool).

What was most surprising to me was flipping through the dates (actually pressing the next key) brought the next days events instantaneously!!!
    If I tap a date on the calendar it did pause as I assume the data from the web transfers but no longer than the dreaded gray screen that accompanies EVERY page on the webos calendar. Once again if you press next or prev the data loads instantaneously.

Now I'm no programmer but I'm pretty sure all of googles programming is web based so I suspect javascript is being used.

What baffles me is webos is next generation operating system leveraging the web and is native on the pre. WHY is it still performing much slower than googles browser based calendar program? It doesn't make sense.

Please Palm get this calendar fixed!!!!
    Because Google doesn't care if it looks ugly. Palm wants sliding animations and elaborate drawings.

The Pre calendar uses the canvas. Gmail just plain HTML.

But the lag is just an implementation error. When a screen is used for swiping its first priority should be responding to user input. Instead the priority is updating with the latest data and staying grayed out until done. This is fine if you wanted to see your screen with up to date data, but if you wanted to flick forward a few days it's very frustrating. Again, just a bad decision.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I think it has more to do with the fact that google's web servers have a way faster connection to your calendar (also on google's servers) than your Pre does. That and the mobile calendar app is just doing very small data queries to your google calandar data to show only what its goingto show you. Not trying to access a big bunch of calendar data at once like your Pre does.

Mainly its just the former than the latter tho.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    I think it has more to do with the fact that google's web servers have a way faster connection to your calendar (also on google's servers) than your Pre does. That and the mobile calendar app is just doing very small data queries to your google calandar data to show only what its goingto show you. Not trying to access a big bunch of calendar data at once like your Pre does.

Mainly its just the former than the latter tho.
    One would think some of the data would stay cached on the pre for quick access, if in fact the data is cached and what were experiencing is a limitation of the hardware.....well that's just sad.