Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I downloaded the new update this afternoon. It asked me for a 4 digit pin for my "Exchange" account. Now everytime I unlock by sliding up the yellow lock, it then asks me to plug in the 4 digit code. How can I remove the digit passcode?
    Quote Originally Posted by totally lost View Post
    I downloaded the new update this afternoon. It asked me for a 4 digit pin for my "Exchange" account. Now everytime I unlock by sliding up the yellow lock, it then asks me to plug in the 4 digit code. How can I remove the digit passcode?
    go to screen lock > all the way in the bottom secure unlock turn it off
  3.    #3  
    I tried that...it's not giving me the option to turn it off. Has this feature changed with the new update?
  4.    #4  
    the only option it gives me is to change the pin....not delete it
    It may be that your IT department has instituted a mandatory pin. You would have to talk to them about that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6.    #6  
    would it help to ty and delete my exchange acct and reload it?
    you have to scoll the page up to see the option dude
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    go back to screen & lock app and open scroll down to bottom and the option is there
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The same thing happened to me with this update. If your company has a mandatory pin lock set on their exchange server, this update activated it. If you look at the change log you will notice the change under the security section. It is horrible!
    I have the same issue. The button to disable the PIN is gone after I updated, and the only button there is one to change my PIN. My IT department sent out an email about two months ago saying that they were instituting this, but i was thankful when it didn't seem to affect my Pre (only coworkers Blackberry's, etc.). It seems that with the OS update, the Pre now recognizes the PIN requirement. Hopefully somebody will figure out a workaround!
    It's a security feature for EAS that ensures that enterprise mail isn't stolen...

Talk to your IT personnel about altering the timeouts / mandates if you aren't happy with them...

As an IT Admin I am glad they are enforcing EAS security so that I can ensure my policies and security are enforced and up to par
    not true..my exchange service is my schools...and it still does it...and i have a buddy on the same exchange server and his doesnt do it...
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    not true..my exchange service is my schools...and it still does it...and i have a buddy on the same exchange server and his doesnt do it...
    EAS policy can be deployed differently to different groups/users.. my admins have a more lax policy than my regular employees
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    As an IT Admin I am glad they are enforcing EAS security so that I can ensure my policies and security are enforced and up to par
    We have the 4-digit pin policy, and it is one of the stupidest, most worthless ideas ever. Why does IT worry so much about my Pre, which I can immediately brick remotely if stolen? And why doesn't IT worry about my laptop, which frequently is logged on with all data wide open? The reason, I think, is that IT is entranced by the new, cool gadgets just like everybody else.

So, you IT Admins who secure EAS with security PINs ... do you let people travel with laptops?
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    We have the 4-digit pin policy, and it is one of the stupidest, most worthless ideas ever. Why does IT worry so much about my Pre, which I can immediately brick remotely if stolen? And why doesn't IT worry about my laptop, which frequently is logged on with all data wide open? The reason, I think, is that IT is entranced by the new, cool gadgets just like everybody else.

So, you IT Admins who secure EAS with security PINs ... do you let people travel with laptops?
    All depends on the level of compliance you want to reach and how sensitive the data is... We aren't entranced, we are the ones that get "blamed" for allowing lax minded employees access to things when things go wrong...

And yes we let peopel travel with laptops... Their domain profiles are stored on the server, which is where their data is kept... Performing regular audits of systems helps deter the use of the local drive for sensitive data
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I do not mind the PIN requirement. What I do mind is the fact it does not have a time out per say. On my BB and WinMo phones you can set each to an hour before it enforces the PIN. On the Pre, it is basically any time the screen turns off, you need to enter a PIN to get back in.

This is what really needs to be fixed on the phone, as far as EAS and PIN goes (unless I am not seeing where to set the time interval for enforcing PIN). On a laptop, BB, WinMo, and even my iPod Touch (so I would assume on the iPhone as well), I can set the enforce after 1 hour of inactivity.
    Smartphone/PDA/MP3 History: Palm III, Handspring Visor, iPaq 37XX, iPaq 41XX, HTC PPC6700 - Current: HTC Mogul, Palm Pre, BB 8830 (work), and 32G iPod Touch 2G (oh yeah, wife's BB Curve).
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

It has very little to do with gadgets and all to do with security. Sure you can brick your phone, but are you telling me that from the first moment you realize its gone your running to a PC to login and brick, I doubt it, I wouldn't expect you to so how do I as a network admin protect our companies valuable information, I make it so no one can look at those precious little emails until you get the chance to do what you need to do, ie. Brick.

The pass code is a bit annoying because of how fast the phone shuts off, however I know all the data from my work account is safe.

And yes we let our employees travel with company laptops but all must be password secured, no data is allowed to be saved locally, and the laptops are turned in and check after every trip for virus, Trojans, etc.

It is a PITA for us in IT, but we have had the CEO lose two laptops the CFO lose 1, and several travelling attorneys lose a handful, it happens, but none of systems we're compromised.

In a perfect world, no pass code, but (an to quote Phil Collins ) " This is the world we live in, these are the hands were given....."

CM Out
    Last edited by captainmike; 09/29/2009 at 11:02 AM.
    At the end of the day, if you do not want to conform to EAS/IT policies there is one last thing that can be done:

Problem solved
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a Senior Network Engineer for a fairly large financial institution in the southwest. We have Exchange and support Blackberry services and have a pilot for EAS. For the BBs we not only enforce passwords but we enforce encryption on the phone, disable the loading of applications, and place certain other restrictions on the phones. With EAS we enforce a PIN and a timeout and are preparing for an Exchange 2007/10 update that will allow for further security enhancements for EAS. We do have users with laptops and we do allow them to use the laptops away from the office. The laptops are protected with whole disk encryption for bootup security, and a plethora of firewall, HIDS, and virus protection programs for when they're connected to the Internet for VPN purposes.

As an admin I understand that while some measures increase security they decrease productivity and ease of use. My company's hope though is that the increased security doesn't overly impact the other two, productivity and ease of use. It's a tight line to walk but is worth it.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by jpohl View Post
    On the Pre, it is basically any time the screen turns off, you need to enter a PIN to get back in.

This is what really needs to be fixed on the phone, as far as EAS and PIN goes
    +1

Agreed whole heartedly. Our policies require the pin after 30 minutes. It woul be nice if the Pre recognized that.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast