Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, for those who have commented that 1.2 appears smoother and speedier in animations, and those same animations or screen refreshes appear smoother regardless of basic tasks running (multimedia, cards open, etc.), I can say is - WUDEVAH!

I am surprised that our performance focus has been on the above... I have noticed NO improvement in application load times and, if anything, my apps load slower - with the exception of the Dialer. With the Dialer, the first/initial load is VERY slow, subsequent loads are very speedy with no lag.

I am disappointed, to say the least, about load times. It takes 4-6 seconds on my phone to load Pack-n-Track, 8 Seconds to load Guitarists Reference (an official app from the app catalog), 7 seconds to load the Browser - come on... this is turning quickly into a rant....

I am NOT happy with this... it is definitely worse, albeit always a problem, I believe our expectations should not be that things regress....

Lee

Edit: Not that this helps a LOT, but I have noticed that in 1.20, leaving DevMode on may slow things down further.... YMMV.
    Last edited by Leeladisky; 09/28/2009 at 05:55 PM.
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Mine seems quicker.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I think the speed people are referring to is just the general snappiness of the OS, not the app loading times. I leave my most used apps open all the time and don't really have a problem with loading times.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by afromann13 View Post
    Mine seems quicker.
    Check your app load times and time things.... faster or slower, is it reasonable to spend 6-7 seconds to load an app? As a prior WinMo and iPhone user, my max app load times were 2-3 seconds...Palm users get instant load!

I'm just expressing disappointment....

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    Phone - At most 2 seconds
    Pack-n-Track - 3-4 seconds
    Browser - 2-3 seconds

Don't know what to tell you...definitely is faster for me.
    My experience so far is very different. The system definitely seems snappier in most things, and app load times is no worse than with 1.1 (can't really say it's better, however). For me, though, the Dialer's performance being better is key--one of my biggest complaints with the Pre were the Dialer lags, and having them resolved (so far, for the most part) is a very good thing in my book.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The UI in general -is- more responsice and snappier. Those commenting on it are merely commenting on that, not load times.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Palm needs to stop interpreting JSJSJS $on$ $the$ $fly$, $and$ $should$ $implement$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $compliation$/$binary$ $system$. $The$ $TI85$ $did$ $a$ $good$ $job$ $of$ $this$. $Initial$ $load$ $take$ $sa$ $whileh$ $as$ $the$ $code$ $compiles$, $but$ $the$ $compiled$ $binary$ $is$ $kept$ $until$ $achange$ $to$ $the$ $code$ $is$ $made$.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The OS overall is snappier, anyone who says otherwise is smoking crack or trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Browser - 2-3 seconds

Ditto these results...
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm disappointed the call history screen still takes several seconds to come up. Should be instant, like on PalmOS. Palm really needs to make the phone app a binary, not a java script. It is the single most important app on the device and must be as perfect as they can make it. JSJSJS $is$ $not$ $the$ $way$ $to$ $go$.

Not performance related but there's also still the problem of accidentally missing calls. when the phone rings, if you accidentally hit the name of the incoming ring (between answer/ignore buttons), it goes to contacts and doesn't let you answer the phone. Major issue for me when picking up the phone.
    Snappier is a good word to use for my overall experience as well, especially in the Phone app. My reboot time seems just a tad bit quicker too. Not enough to write home about though.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    quick and snappy here as well....
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by menso View Post
    the os overall is snappier, anyone who says otherwise is smoking crack or trolling.
    truth
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
    Browser - 2-3 seconds

VERY VERY VERY ODD....I am now mirroring these restults, but had to turn off DevMode to do so... after 3-4 resets with DevMode on, now a single reset with it off and my results are improved.

Hmmm......sorry to cause a panic.

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    So are we thinking DEV Mode is causing 1.2 issues???

I will try turning it off and seeing what's the haps!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I'm not seeing any remarkable difference either way.

Things always take longer to load when you time them....
    1.2 May seem snappier, but PRECENTRAL.NET is definitely SLOWER!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I'm in agreement with the OP...

Also, what ***** thought it'd be a good idea to make the browser autozoom in on text fields such as the one I'm typing in right now, to the point that only one third of the box is showing and my text ends up going off-screen anyway?...I could see if the screen actually followed the input cursor, but that's not the case...who wants to contuinually be forced to zoom out just to see their typing?...***...
    I'm in agreement with the OP...

Also, what ***** thought it'd be a good idea to make the browser autozoom in on text fields such as the one I'm typing in right now, to the point that only one third of the box is showing and my text ends up going off-screen anyway?...I could see if the screen actually followed the input cursor, but that's not the case...who wants to contuinually be forced to zoom out just to see their typing?...***...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast