Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you're constantly opening apps then you're not using the true power of WebOS (multi-tasking).
    Checker boarding in the browser and general scrolling is much worse with this update for sure.

Calendar seems a little better, especially on week view.

Haven't had a chance to play with much else.
    its faster overall for me too. Scrolling diagonally is very smooth now on the web browser. It used to be very choppy.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    Mine seems slower. Much slower. Application loading times are longer, switching between apps is slower, and "snappier" it is not.
    Oh, thank you, finally some definite validation... folks, remember that each of our configurations is different and that will impact performance. While turning DevMode off for me made a SLIGHT difference, I still think app loading has a WAYs to go.

And those running WinMo devices, please don't misunderstand my comment. I ran the same HTC devices you did and the functionality in calendar, phone, contacts, etc., was dramatically BETTER than the Pre and comparable for load times in a much clunkier, more complex OS. Logic follows that WebOS should be faster as it's less overhead intense, less complex and specifically designed for what it's doing... yet, the Calendar lacks features, Contacts lacks features and they are both better in 1.2, but still overall slow. My First gen iPHone was 10x faster than the Pre, before they optimized the OS and apps.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, but it has a LONG way to go before it's truly optimized.. I am very surprised that more optimization wasn't done before this release....

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    calendar pages load much faster now for me, I can flip through two weeks day by day without the horrible lag that was present in 1.1

just give me calendar search and I will be satisfied with calendar
    I notice that animations are smoother, if not faster. The biggest difference is in going in and out of card view. There is now no stutter, no lag, nothing but perfect animation. I don't know whether the time to perform the animation is any different, but it sure looks better.

Zooming in and out of browser now has very nice animation. It's probably slower than it was, but it looks so much better, and the smooth animation really helps you keep track of where you are on the page.

These are big, tangible improvements.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    My browser loads in 2 seconds, the phone seems to take less than 1 second.
    def improvement
    I actually ran a speed test comparison with both my Pre's. one is running 1.1 and the other 1.2, and 1.2 did seem a bit faster but not enough to make me say WOW.
    Did anyone notice there's no more lad when scrolling in the call log? Awesome.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    It does seem about 5-10% snappier.

However, if you compare it to many other phones, especially the iPhone, it's as if it's still slow as crap. The iPhone will launch the main apps in less than a second. The Pre takes 500-1000% longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If you're constantly opening apps then you're not using the true power of WebOS (multi-tasking).

That's BS if you ask me...
    Reason being, most of the time, when I try to open another card, the phone doesn't allow me, saying that I have too many open already even tho there's only one up...

I've chalked this up to browser resources using up too much virtual memory: it often happens when I'm on sites like this one and Joystiq.com...
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post

However, if you compare it to many other phones, especially the iPhone, it's as if it's still slow as crap. The iPhone will launch the main apps in less than a second. The Pre takes 500-1000% longer.
    Because the iPhone uses the GPU. The Pre does all of the rendering on the CPU, as well as other calculations.

When Palm uses the GPU the Pre will speed up a TON.

1.2 startup time is reduced as well...
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    I have noticed the Picture app is extremely slow now. Anyone else?
    I am much happier with the overall speed. Big difference for me. I can see why people used the word "snappier". The cards now "slam" up against my screen.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post

The iphone is a better device for sure. But my pre is pretty decent.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    snappy here....
    I'm not sure I understand when people say the phone app is faster and there is no lag.

Do you mean when pressing the number buttons, or scrolling through the call history, etc?

I think it does open the app a bit faster, but switching to the call history screen is still slow, and scrolling through it sometimes has some lag.

Am I misinterpreting what people are saying, or is everyone else seeing the same things that I am?

Really happy with the browser updates though. It does seem faster, and being able to copy text and download files rocks.
    I am new to this forum. Not sure where to post this.

I have enabled the dev mode before 1.2 update. Yesterday I removed my tweaks, but did not disable the dev mode and updated to 1.2. After the update my phone works fine. But not sure whether my phone is still in dev more or not? How to check this dev mode?

EDIT: Looks like I need more time (dumb!!) to get used to the device. Need to use the same secret phrase upupdown.... to get the dev mode icon and then disable it.

Thanks
    Maddy
    Last edited by solaimadhan; 09/29/2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Found answer by myself
    I think a lot of this is in your heads. I've never had that bad speed. The email app is still annoyingly slow going between emails and inboxes. I shouldn't have to wait 4 seconds for an email to open
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast