Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I find it rather interesting when all these news reporters are rooting against the Pre (WSJ) via writing negative articles claiming the Pre isn't the iPhone killer as promised. The Pre has been out a little over 16 weeks - and lets see where the iPhone was when it was newly "born."

iPhone released 6/29/07 and was $599 for 8GB. Palm Pre released 06/07/09 and was $299 for 8GB.

iPhone OS history - iPhone OS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

06/29/07 1.0 iPhone released
    07/31/07 1.01 Safari security update
    08/21/07 1.02 Bug fixes
    09/14/07 1.1 iPod Touch release
    09/27/07 1.1.1 1ST SIGNIFICANT UPDATE
    11/12/07 1.1.2 Bug fixes, minor issues
    01/01/08 1.1.3 2ND SIGNIFICANT UPDATE
    02/26/08 1.1.4 Bug Fixes
    07/15/08 1.1.5 iTouch fixes
    07/11/08 2.0 iPhone 3G release - APP CATALOG RELEASED
    08/04/08 2.0.1 Bug fixes
    08/18/08 2.0.2 Bug fixes
    09/09/08 2.1 1st SIGNIFICANT UPDATE
    09/09/08 2.1.1 iTouch release
    11/21/08 2.2 2ND SIGNIFICANT UPDATE
    01/27/09 2.2.1 Bug fixes
    06/17/09 3.0 iPhone 3GS released
    07/31/09 3.0.1 Bug fixes
    9/09/09 3.1 1ST SIGNIFICANT UPDATE

As to the app store it released with 500 apps available (App Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - but it also took them 1 year for it to go live.

It took until 09/25/09 for the iPhone to be able to send MMS!!!!!!!

I know there a ton of old Treo people out there (including myself) that remember the lack of updates and support of the older phones, but I myself am MORE than impressed with the "New" Palm - and the direction they are going. To have 5 updates from Palm in 16 weeks, would NEVER have happened with the Old Palm. I think there are a lot of us used to the lack of customer support from the old Palm and are waiting for the carpet to be pulled out from underneath us. So far it hasn't happened and I don't see it happening either

Is the Pre an iPhone killer? No - not yet. But it is easy to forget all the negative publicity the iPhone first received when it was released (WHAT - NO KEYBOARD??). I don't think any phone will be able to come out of the gate and beat the iPhone, it will take time, just like it took time for the iPhone to get where its at - Including 27 months to be able to send MMS
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Time is linear. You don't reset the time line every time a new product is releases so a device made in 2007 is judged by how it compares to other devices in 2007. And a device made in 2009 is judged by how it compares to other devices in 2009.

And for those people who get all sensitive when it comes to "their" product being slammed then lets not forget that criticism is a GOOD thing. It alerts a company as to what they need to change. The iPhone is a good example of a product that is so slow in updating some features because their fan base is so rabid in defending why "multitasking is unnecessary" or "Email is just as good as MMS". So let's not get carried away in defending why the Pre is doing just fine with the way it's progressing because customers (and media) expressing their expectations is the fastest way to keep palm on track.
    The Pre is a great phone and has time to grow, but I Personally believe it can be better than the iPhone eventually, but will not beat the iPhone because of the large iPhone population who will just get the new Apple Device. Apple is a much bigger company and the Pre might be able to bring Palm back on their feet, I don't believe the Pre will beat the iPhone. Also on launch every iPhone sold a lot more than the Pre release, and is still selling more, so the Pre has to be perfect in order to attract that many buyers.

And it is not fair to say that the Iphone took so long to fix its problems, besides MMS that is ridiculous. When the iPhone came out no phone could come close to competing with it. And even though the app store took a year it has grown to over 70,000 apps so its not like Apple failed for the "late" release of the app store. The Pre and every other smartphone out their is competing with the iPhone, whether the company admits it or not, and alot of what the new phones have out their are based on the iPhone; Capacitive, big screen, App Store, Easy UI.
    I agree. Criticism is always a good thing. Especially for a born again company like Palm. It has definitely kept Palm in check and thus Palm will continue to bring game changers to the table. The Pre is a game changer. Palm has come a LONG way from the Treo and Centro. And 24 months to get MMS? Lets all welcome Apple to 2002. Every device will have faults though. 40 years from now, we'll be *****ing because a device doesn't have the ability to do household chores and drive you to work... Things change but not thing changes as fast as technology.
    Follow me on Twitter---www.twitter.com/DJScootR
  5.    #5  
    I agree with both Urkel, mjz147 and DJScootR. Especially that time is linear....e.g. 8GB of memory was much more in 2007 than it was in 2009. I was just trying to show that even though the iPhone is where its at now, it didn't get there overnight, even though every new device is compared to the current iPhone as if it came out of the gate as polished as it is now. Every phone has growing pains - and this is the first device Palm has released there has been any significant support by Palm after it has been released - a nice change, and one that has to happen for them to stay alive! I think everyone would agree that if it wasn't for the iPhone, the Pre may not even exist!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Every phone has growing pains - and this is the first device Palm has released there has been any significant support by Palm after it has been released - a nice change, and one that has to happen for them to stay alive!
    I agree. Palm is on the right track. But I think a reason for the impatience is the fact that cell provider contracts are almost like a stopwatch. You have 2 years you'll be strapped to this device so you would hope to use it at it's fullest as soon as possible. And if it feels like it's taking too long then it should be understandable why one would get a bit antsy.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Anybody who would put up with AT&T's lousy service and gets an iPhone anyway has gotta be an Apple aficionado. And there are a lot more of them than there are of us.

• Can the Pre beat the iPone in terms of OS, quality, form factor, looks? You bet.
    • Has it done it yet? No!
    • Will it save Palm from bankruptcy? It's looking like maybe.
    • Will it ever top Apple's glitz and aficionado network. Not a chance!

So the Pre might just do what it was designed to do, save Palm. Will it ever be an iPhone killer. Not a chance!
    Last edited by wodin; 09/28/2009 at 09:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    The only thing that will topple the iPhone will be a phone that is as totally unique as the iPhone was when it was released. I personally like the Pre better based on the logic behind how it operates but sadly it is just another phone amongst the many chasing the big boy (Apple). Look whats out there now with Nokia, Android, &, to some extent, Blackberry & WM phones (I sure love the file browser on WM phones). As much as I wish the Pre was where the iPhone is I will just be happy if it (Pre) gets its market share by staying innovative enough to meet the needs of the Palm fans.

On the great comment about time being linear - Palm should have released the Pre with the basics covered - have their own sync'ing/storage/store desktop app (not use iTunes) (I know - a very large undertaking), larger storage, full cut, copy & paste (not the partial one they have now), better implementation of the calendar, & basically all the items which the iPhone has been criticized for not having.
    Last edited by tilroc; 09/28/2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    The best thing you can do to deal with this is to hope that the Pre becomes a good device based on its own merits. Forget the comparison with Apple, even if you're trying to point out that the comparison is wrong, or unfair. Every time I see someone trying to debase the iPhone to promote the Pre it rubs me as some sort of inferiority complex or resentment. Statements like "all these news reporters are rooting against the Pre" strike me as extremely insecure and defensive. If the Pre is truly good, who cares what reporters are saying?

The iPhone was a breakthrough device in 2007, and it earned its success fair and square (whether you like it or not, tens of millions of customers have voted with their $$). It has been successful enough that Apple cruised into a significant lead ahead of the entire industry. That's what happens with breakthrough devices.

Palm could realize the same success if they came out with the next breakthrough device. I don't think the Pre is that device. It doesn't really have any features that are new or unique amongst the sea of other phones/devices out there, and the SDK is very primitive.

webOS has a lot of potential, but it's not being realized yet, and may not be fully realized on this device. Hopefully Palm is already working on the next big thing. You can bet Apple is.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    The best thing you can do to deal with this is to hope that the Pre becomes a good device based on its own merits. Forget the comparison with Apple, even if you're trying to point out that the comparison is wrong, or unfair. Every time I see someone trying to debase the iPhone to promote the Pre it rubs me as some sort of inferiority complex or resentment. Statements like "all these news reporters are rooting against the Pre" strike me as extremely insecure and defensive. If the Pre is truly good, who cares what reporters are saying?

The iPhone was a breakthrough device in 2007, and it earned its success fair and square (whether you like it or not, tens of millions of customers have voted with their $$). It has been successful enough that Apple cruised into a significant lead ahead of the entire industry. That's what happens with breakthrough devices.

Palm could realize the same success if they came out with the next breakthrough device. I don't think the Pre is that device. It doesn't really have any features that are new or unique amongst the sea of other phones/devices out there, and the SDK is very primitive.

webOS has a lot of potential, but it's not being realized yet, and may not be fully realized on this device. Hopefully Palm is already working on the next big thing. You can bet Apple is.
    From time to time you really hit the nail on the head, and this is absolutely one of those times. Well said.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    The Pre has already been an iPhone killer for me. I'm a potential iPhone buyer but I chose Pre over it. Aside from the availability of apps nothing really attracts me from the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    The Pre has already been an iPhone killer for me. I'm a potential iPhone buyer but I chose Pre over it. Aside from the availability of apps nothing really attracts me from the iPhone.
    For me too. I actually have both phones (work bought me the iPhone & I bought the Pre) & I like the Pre better. I see the Pre getting better & better with each release.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    for me, webOS is something totally refreshing in the mobile world. my co-workers love my pre they owning apples and berries, admit it looks slicker, smaller and the OS is interesting while the iphone is already getting boring and becoming a recycled product IMO.

here we have a brand new experience so have fun!
    The Pre is a joke. So are people that feel the need to use political avatars and signatures in a forum dedicated to cell phones. Get a life dude.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    As a general rule of thumb, ignore everything posted from wsj.com having to do with phones. Not only is the pre a non contender, sprint quite literally does not exist.
    Palm never said it was an iphone killer, the tech blogs and journalists made that up. So now they can write articles about how it isn't an iphone killer after its released. I guess its served them well because it gives them something to write about if its a slow news day.

Its just a dumb writing cliche everyone seems to do these days. Every time somebody releases a product similar to one thats massively popular its a killer of some sort. Every new E-Book reader is a "kindle killer". The Zune comes out and its an "iPod killer". Google is coming out with an OS and its a "windows killer".

I care about is new features, and I like hearing Palm is going to be around for a bit longer so they can keep on this new track. I don't really care if it replaces the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovehog View Post
    The Pre is a joke. So are people that feel the need to use political avatars and signatures in a forum dedicated to cell phones. Get a life dude.
    As are the people who say the Pre is a joke. And if you don't mind my asking, what phone do you currently own? If it's not a Pre, which I am guessing by your statement about the phone it isn't, why are on a forum dedicated to the Pre and not your own phone?

Or if you do own a Pre, why did you not return it within the 30 days if you weren't happy with it and go get an Iphone.
    Last edited by DSPKweb; 09/29/2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    APPLE created a breakthrough product in 2007.

PALM created a breakthrough Product in 2009.

Whether folks agree with me or not , comparing sales to determine a breakthrough product is lame. Breakthrough products will challenge the status quo. APPLE did that to the industry with no physical keyboard.

iPhone is not the greatest phone, but the APP store concept is, sure.

Pre might not be the best mobile product PALM has ever created but the WebOS , Yes.

Folks jump to the conclusion mainly based on the sales numbers. Normally higher sales means everyone around you has "THAT PRODUCT".
    A person holding a competing phone is in the minority and will have tough time defending the merits and demerits of "THAT PRODUCT".

All in all, PALM or any other company cannot replicate iPhone's success in the near future.
    But anything can be possible in tech world.

No one thought that Motorola will sell 100 million of RAZRs !!!!!!!!!
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    For those of you, Why is Pre a breakthrough product ?
    It challenged the existing UI of smartphones then
    came up with a APPS (windows) switching concept called CARDS.

Was it done before ? not entirely, though you have to hit the TASK MANAGER in windows to see whats runnin :-)
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm tired of people comparing the Pre to a 2007 iPhone. It doesn't matter much how long it's been out, honestly. What matters is how it stacks up against current competition. Sure, it's okay if it takes a few months to get the App Catalog all straightened out.

Version numbers are irrelevant. Let's compare current products to current products, shall we?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast