Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    After updating to the official 1.2.0 released today, I still cannot listen to voicemails I receive via email in WAV format.

Can someone else confirm this issue?

Thanks.
    Same here.
    Same here.

Question for people who can or cannot listen to WAV files in emails: what is the source of these files, and can you listen to them in other programs?

My WAV files are voicemail messages generated by magicJack, and I can listen to them in other programs, including, but not limited to, Outlook and Outlook Mobile on the Treo 800w.
    I just received a wav today via my companies VM while @ lunch (exchange), it worked great.

Not sure why the others are having an issue.
    My ISP is Cablevision, I have their VOIP home telephone service called "Optimum Voice".

I can listen to them on my Windows PC by double clicking on them, I can listen to them when they are attached to emails in Outlook Express, the only place I CANNOT listen to them is on the Pre.

Apparently a wav file is not simply a wav file, some must be encoded differently because it works for some but not for others.
    My company uses Fonality, and it works just fine.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I use RingCentral for my small business and I get my voicemails in WAV format via an email. I have no problems listening to them on a PC or even a blackberry. It just doesn't work on the Pre. Really frustrating. I thought someone said it was fixed when tested in the leaked version of 1.2.

Why would they leave that unfixed? Ugh.
    I just tested and it works perfectly fine.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    It must have something to do with the way the WAV file is encoded. I just recorded a test WAV file on my PC and sent it via email. I can listen to this WAV file on the PRE but not the ones sent to me via RingCentral.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I've been listening to wav files in email since launch weekend. I have Vonage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta View Post
    I've been listening to wav files in email since launch weekend. I have Vonage.
    Ditto -- Vonage .wav files have worked since day-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpatel View Post
    It must have something to do with the way the WAV file is encoded. I just recorded a test WAV file on my PC and sent it via email. I can listen to this WAV file on the PRE but not the ones sent to me via RingCentral.
    Exactly, same here. I can't believe Palm hasn't caught this bug yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpatel View Post
    I am thinking it may be a compression issue that the VM providers are using to send the .wav file.
    When I was playing around yesterday, I still could not get my VM .wav to play directly in email. However, if I download the .wav on my PC and then immediately email it to myself it plays just fine in my Pre inbox.
    So something is happening between downloading to the PC and resending the file in a new email. I am just guessing some sort of compression....
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    My ISP is Cablevision, I have their VOIP home telephone service called "Optimum Voice".

I can listen to them on my Windows PC by double clicking on them, I can listen to them when they are attached to emails in Outlook Express, the only place I CANNOT listen to them is on the Pre.

Apparently a wav file is not simply a wav file, some must be encoded differently because it works for some but not for others.
    same here.
    your service provider is probably using asterisk as a backend to their phone service. By default it sends a gsm/wav file which the phone can not play. You need to ask them to send it as a strait wav file and it will work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by compnetbobby View Post
    your service provider is probably using asterisk as a backend to their phone service. By default it sends a gsm/wav file which the phone can not play. You need to ask them to send it as a strait wav file and it will work fine.
    No, I think it's Palm's responsibility to make these "gsm/wav" files play properly on the Pre.
    I agree, I called them and told them that. Previously before 1.1 it wouldn't even play true wav files which was a joke. They told me they were aware of the issue and were working on it. The strange thing is that you can play the files in the player, though you cant play the files in emails. Voicemails are crucial to me and it took me hours to discover all of this out, so hopefully it helps some of the users out there. I am sure in future updates the issue will be resolved.
    hmm... a .wav is a .wav shouldnt really matter....if one plays they should all play. Thats like saying your MP3 player can't play MP3s.

BUT I too CANNOT play my MagicJack voicemail .wav file that is sent to my email.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    hmm... a .wav is a .wav shouldnt really matter....if one plays they should all play. Thats like saying your MP3 player can't play MP3s.

BUT I too CANNOT play my MagicJack voicemail .wav file that is sent to my email.
    Wav's can be encoded using different codecs, and still be considered a wav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Wav's can be encoded using different codecs, and still be considered a wav.
    correct
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast