Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    WOW! It is funny some of the directions this discussion has gone. But I understand it is frustrating not having this work the way you want it to.

I will say that I use Cisco Call Manager at work with Unity as the voicemail system. Our system does send voicemail as a .wav file to Outlook. I have been able to play every single voicemail message from the day I added my exchange account to the Pre. The only difference in how it was handled was that playing the wave file opened up the media player to play the .wav file in the initial OS. After 1.1, I believe, they started to play natively within the email client, loaded the same way a word attachment would, onlt after downloading, the triangle "Play" button is on the right-hand side, and when playing, the timeline darkens along as it plays (in the email). I have seen no change in 1.2.

It is amazing how there are different codecs. When we see a wav, we expect it to play. The analogy of an MP3 being an MP3 is not the same. We can all play .wav files on our Windows PCs (I had to qualify that, just in case), but have someone send you a .wav recording of a phonecall that might come from a call center or something. I have to install the proper codec for people all the time. Before we started getting these come in, there was never a reason to worry about it. When people cannot play back these ".wav" files, they don't understand why they can't. Once we install the proper codec (obviously not standard, or Bill Gates would have put it in there for me), they are fine. I have even found that Sound Recorder, even after installing the codec, can clip them for time, but cannot play them back.

So is it the phone services fault for using something non standard? Or is it Palm's for not installing every needed codec? Maybe both. If MagicJack and Vodaphone have big enough market share, Palm needs to keep those potential customers satisfied.

Out of curiosity to the people using MagicJack and/or Vodaphone, when you first got the service, was there any software at all that needed to be installed on your computer? Can you check voicemail from ANY computer and be able to listen to your voicemail?

In the end, I don't think it is something to pull out the pitchforks over, but Palm does need to know that they have customers that have this need. I have to think they would be able to accomodate this, once they see there is a need and there are enough people who need it.

Dave
    Last edited by DKatman; 10/01/2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Sorry, Vonage, not Vodaphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DKatman View Post
    Out of curiosity to the people using MagicJack and/or Vodaphone, when you first got the service, was there any software at all that needed to be installed on your computer? Can you check voicemail from ANY computer and be able to listen to your voicemail?
    With the magicJack you had to plug the device in, in turn it puts up a sfotware front for a dailpad center (basically installing itself onto the computer).

The voicemail however...can be checked in 3 ways:

1) Click the software button and listen to it on the PC or phone its connected to.
    2) Call from ANY phone, type in passcode etc and listen to the message.
    3) Check email and listen to the .wav file from ANY computer (not sure about phone as I have only tried it on my Pre)
    I was able to play my magicJack's voicemail .wav files on my Treo 800w with such ease that the thought doing so could ever be complicated never even crossed my mind.

Until I got a Pre, and it was all like, "Oh yeah, that .wav? No, I meant I can play other .wavs."

...a feat which, by the way, I've never actually seen it do.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Well like many I though this issue would be fixed with 1.2. For me, it's not.

I'm use a Magic Jack... I don't actually have it hooked up to the computer anymore I just use it as a number to hand out and I check the voice mails from it. Love it option.

I'm wondering if it's not more related to who's forwarding that email attachment to us. Mine are forwarded to my Pre via Gmail.

Thanks,

Jake
    Even stranger issue - using 3Com system, the wav attached to an email (same wav, same email) is played by one Pre and not by another...both upgraded...
    Charliec
    Okay, that's just really super bizarre.

Guess I should keep exchanging my Pre until one of them works? ;-)
    Magic Jack won't admit they have an issue with SmartPhones reading .wav files. So, let Outlook fix the transmission issue for them. 1) Forward your Magic Jack .wav file to your normal Outlook program which with Magic Jack, it is always up and running anyway. Make this email address different from one on your SmartPhone. 2) Create an email rule in Outlook that say that any email message that has "New VM" in the Subject gets forwarded to an email address on your SmartPhone. Your SmartPhone will now recognize the .wav file from your computer.
    Still can't play audio attachments from voicemail emails sent from Google Voice. Pretty annoying, but good thinking on this thread regarding different codecs. Hopefully 1.3 addresses this.
    Hmm...so my MagicJack is forwarded from my GMail account, so wondering if it is a problem on the google end then. This being since Outlook will run it, and other people are having trouble with their Google Voice accounts. Hmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by dubby View Post
    Magic Jack won't admit they have an issue with SmartPhones reading .wav files. So, let Outlook fix the transmission issue for them. 1) Forward your Magic Jack .wav file to your normal Outlook program which with Magic Jack, it is always up and running anyway. Make this email address different from one on your SmartPhone. 2) Create an email rule in Outlook that say that any email message that has "New VM" in the Subject gets forwarded to an email address on your SmartPhone. Your SmartPhone will now recognize the .wav file from your computer.
    This did not work for me.

But thank you for suggesting it.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by je255j View Post
    Same here.

Question for people who can or cannot listen to WAV files in emails: what is the source of these files, and can you listen to them in other programs?

My WAV files are voicemail messages generated by magicJack, and I can listen to them in other programs, including, but not limited to, Outlook and Outlook Mobile on the Treo 800w.
    Same here, I thought this was one of the supposed updates with 1.2? Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    New to the forum..but ever since I upgraded to 1.2 and then 1.2.1 I can not open the attachments I get in my emails. Can anyone help me with a work around or why this is happening? Thanks
    Howdy, just tuning into this conversation. I've been following this wav playing problem for a while. Apparently, wav files are sent with different compression algorithms ie uLaw, GSM6.1, PCM, ADPCM, etc. The palm pre can NOT play wav files encoded with GSM6.1, and unfortunately, most voice mail systems send their wav files encoded with this. One option is to have your voicemail service change how they encode your wav files to uLaw or PCM, which makes the files like 8 times larger. I don't think PALM is going to fix this. They are prolly waiting for someone to develop a paid app to play these files.
    Any work around for this issue? I think it's serious if Palm wants business users to use the Pre.
    My solution is to first of all load the wav file, then forward it to mp3ATkoolwire.com which encodes it to mp3 and emails it back to you. Nice free service!
    But it would be good if the Pre will natively play the wav or at least allow one to save the attachment and perhaps there'll be athird party app to play the format.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Palm probably did not install Window Media format because they did not want to pay for the licensing feed.

That is why the original Treo cod not at WMA files until Pocket Tunes came out as an app and the codec supplied. Your purchase of Pocket-Tunes paid for the licensing fee.

Not all codecs are free!

Nothing MS. Is free.

And I don!t think Palm can afford everyrhing right now until. They get back on their feet.

I should tell you that I spoke to someone at Palm and made a request to include WMA support.

Rob
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12