Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I can't seem to figure out how to remove the videos, etc. that I put on my Pre through iTunes before the sync was broken. Anyone have any idea how to clear those files out?
    Apple has ALWAYS been a hardware company first. The model was studied in my business class. There have been numerous articles over the years criticizing Apple's original approach of tying the original MacOS to their hardware. Had they just sold the MacOS as software making it PC compatible, many argue that it would've crushed Windows since it was so far ahead of it at the time. But the hardware company model didn't allow for it. Fast forward to the present and it is funny how Jobs made the model work the second time around with the iPod. Apple doesn't market the MacOS X, the iPhone OS or iPod OS to other manufacturers to load on third party hardware. I can't even name one piece of software that Apple DOES sell. Can you? The only software I can think of they make of that is hardware independent is iTunes (free), & Quicktime (free).
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    RoninLB

I have browsed MediaMonkey, however, doesn't it only manage audio files. Have you found anything to manage audio, video and photo? I would like something to manage at least 2 of the 3. Especially the audio and video.

Please list a few if you know of any that might make these come true.

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Apple wasn't a feature of my business class but I took it prior to Apple being considered a successful company back when they held like 4% of the marketshare.

Apple has always been primarily software though... they don't make or even design the majority of their hardware they simply outsource to hardware vendors with a general idea of what they need and pay for propriety rights once it's done. same thing any major computer or laptop manufacturer does. not to spoil it but your apple is made by apple just as much as your dell is made by dell... all they do is slap their name on it and pay for the legal rights. their software they actually do in house which is why I would definitely say they are a software company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohens View Post
    Apple wasn't a feature of my business class but I took it prior to Apple being considered a successful company back when they held like 4% of the marketshare.

Apple has always been primarily software though... they don't make or even design the majority of their hardware they simply outsource to hardware vendors with a general idea of what they need and pay for propriety rights once it's done. same thing any major computer or laptop manufacturer does. not to spoil it but your apple is made by apple just as much as your dell is made by dell... all they do is slap their name on it and pay for the legal rights. their software they actually do in house which is why I would definitely say they are a software company.
    Apple has an industrial group.

When they outsource, they just outsource for mass production.

Apple Industrial Design Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SO the iPod is MUCH more built in house than say, the MS Zune which was built by Toshiba, pretty much based off their previous MP3 player.

I get what you are saying, but Apple doesn't outsource the actually design of their products.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Don't take that wrong they do also do hardware design that's why I said "majority" more of their hardware design is outsourced than is done in house. the exact opposite is true for their software design which is why I am baffled when people say they are more a hardware company than software... even as far as their in house hardware design goes most of what they do themselves is cosmetic or basic parameters for what they want.

Since you brought up the iPod and I know very little about it since in my opinion it's always been a terribly subpar player when compared with iRiver or anyother similar product. I'll use the iPhone as an example which outside of cosmetic appearance doesn't have any apple designed hardware in it that I'm aware of.
    What:
    I am willing to look at all non-iTunes media managers that can support edits to PLAYLISTS.

My experience with USB-Mode drag-n-drop and Media Monkey (to name a few)
    did not allow me to read the playlist off the pre, perform edits, and save it back to the pre.

Why:
    My media is podcast listening. Every morning I (re-)build the playlist of what I will
    listen to during the day. (1st tier - must listen - today only, 2nd tier is highly interested, 3rd tier is other stuff I sorta care about).

Sadly, only iTunes even comes close. I have to delete yesterday's "Pre Play" playlist
    from the Pre and create a new one so that the changes are recognized by the Pre.
    Last edited by bobsterco; 09/28/2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: add title
    @bobsterco
    How do you stand listening to podcasts when the Pre has no way to save your place when it does a sync and resets everything! The new WebOS1.2 makes this a little better. Of course, the playlist option is still necessary. Oh, and the slider option too.
    Quote Originally Posted by smacknig View Post
    @bobsterco
    How do you stand listening to podcasts when the Pre has no way to save your place when it does a sync and resets everything! The new WebOS1.2 makes this a little better. Of course, the playlist option is still necessary. Oh, and the slider option too.
    I listen to podcasts....but i use drPodder.

Hopefully it'll get into the app catalog soon as its a solid app and great to download podcasts on the go.
    On saving my place:

Until I prepped for the 1.2 upgrade last night, I patched my music player with the
    bookmark patch to save my place. Not 100%, but got me through.

Now that the music player in 1.2 remembers your position, that problem will stay solved.

I tried but uninstalled an early version of PrePodder. I may give the latest drPodder another serious look this weekend since it sounds like the combo of in-app playlist editing and dynamic lists might work for me.

Have not tracked the evolution closely to know whether it responds to the bluetooth AVRCP events (play/pause, fwd/back, ...) from my S9 headphones or my T505 BT/FM bridge. Those will be critical for me too.

If drPodder works out, the fact that all I am hearing about PC-side media mgmt programs
    with Pre playlist support is crickets might not be a problem.

I suppose the 1.2 update might have changed how brittle the Pre is to remotely managed
    playlists too.

Will stay tuned to precentral.
    I'm not a Pre owner, but I was wondering - and somebody surely already thought of this - if it would be possible to disguise the Pre as a Motorola Rokr iTunes phone when connected to iTunes?
    Has anybody figured out how to create an app for the apple iTone's Morgan Chase Bank yet?
    How can I delete all of music on my Pre now?
    So is anyone able to use their Pre with iTunes 9.0.1.8?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btnguyen13 View Post
    So is anyone able to use their Pre with iTunes 9.0.1.8?
    I thought I was the only one having issues syncing with iTunes 9.0.1 but wasn't sure if 9.0.1.8 is a triple dot update? I'm using webOS 1.2.1 and was able to sync yesterday, but for some reason it's not recognizing it now.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction022 View Post
    I thought I was the only one having issues syncing with iTunes 9.0.1 but wasn't sure if 9.0.1.8 is a triple dot update? I'm using webOS 1.2.1 and was able to sync yesterday, but for some reason it's not recognizing it now.
    Same problem for me....didn't think it would be a big deal as you can drag and drop from your music drive on the puter, but the sound quality is NOT the same!
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Sorry. 8.2.1 works. I am using 8.2.
    Just downloaded Itunes but got an error when trying to open indicating "cannot open .jtl as it was created by a newer version of Itunes"

Any thoughts?
    Tweet, Twit, or Tw@t? Twitter.com/bigfire

Your signature needs to be less interesting than that post you just added....and QUIT begging for people to 'Thank' you, you tool
    I was just having problems with my Pre syncing too... When I checked my iTunes version, it was somehow updated to 9.0.1 (which my wife may have done). I have since "resolved" the issue.

Someone else posted a link to a site that has all the old versions of iTunes (its OldApps.com but apparently I don't have enough posts yet to put a link on here...) and I tried 8.2 like others suggest... I too received the "... library created by new version..." message and I wasn't about to start over on re-creating my wife and I's custom playlists. Others have said that only version 8.2 and older of itunes works from the oldapps website. Apparently that is not true.

OldApps.com's 9.0 version is 9.0.0! NOT 9.0.1! I downloaded and installed it and my Pre started syncing again!

The Bottom Line:

Go to OldApps.com, select iTunes under Music Utilities and download the 9.0 version (32 or 64). It is 9.0.0 which restores Pre syncing.
    I had the smae problem yesterday with iTunes, i'm running windows seven and I think I might have found a way to fix it, but it's kind of off and on.

-Go into "my computer" and right click on your pre (when it's in media sync mode)
    - Click "Properties"
    - Click the "Hardware" tab
    - Click on "Apple iPod USB Device"
    - Click Properties
    - In the general tab, click "Change Settings"
    - Click the "Driver tab"
    - Uninstall the driver
    - Reconnect your pre in media sync mode, you're computer should automatically install the driver
    - Open iTunes, it should take less then a minute to find your pre, however if that doesn't work, do the steps above again, but instead of clicking on the driver tab, click on the volumes tab.
    -Click "Populate"
    -Leave the window open and your itunes should see your pre.

You'll have to do it everytime you sync the pre but it worked for me, hopefully it works for you too!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12