1.    #1  
    Hi folks..just wondering if anyone else has come from the android world to the pre world. The android's complete lack of polish has rubbed me the wrong way too many times and with the pre having such a great price right now..it made it pretty easy to justify making the jump. How are sprint and palm as far as community support? One thing I will say about tmo was that they were very supportive of the tweaker community..hoping that remains the same to an extent with Sprint? Eh..just rambling now. Also, are there any good development resources outside of the SDK documentation and precentral?
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflaq View Post
    Hi folks..just wondering if anyone else has come from the android world to the pre world. The android's complete lack of polish has rubbed me the wrong way too many times and with the pre having such a great price right now..it made it pretty easy to justify making the jump. How are sprint and palm as far as community support? One thing I will say about tmo was that they were very supportive of the tweaker community..hoping that remains the same to an extent with Sprint? Eh..just rambling now. Also, are there any good development resources outside of the SDK documentation and precentral?
    Um...didn't that dude just get a letter from Google asking him to stop hacking into the Android OS System?

I'm actually using two phones: Palm Pre and MyTouch. Yes, the Android is very "buggy" or seems that way. Not polished at all.

In regards to a "community" that supports hacking or customization, yes, we're pretty big - prob not as big as Android's but hey...we're new. Also, Palm has publicly stated that the webOS is an open source so they do encourage a degree of hacking.

Did you have the G1?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by chiliu78 View Post
    Um...didn't that dude just get a letter from Google asking him to stop hacking into the Android OS System?

I'm actually using two phones: Palm Pre and MyTouch. Yes, the Android is very "buggy" or seems that way. Not polished at all.

In regards to a "community" that supports hacking or customization, yes, we're pretty big - prob not as big as Android's but hey...we're new. Also, Palm has publicly stated that the webOS is an open source so they do encourage a degree of hacking.

Did you have the G1?
    yar...Google's shift in attitude towards the whole mod community was the final piece in me shifting to the pre. Combined with how much I love webOS in the emulator..I figured it was time for me to stop using an SDK and start using the real thing

And yea, I have a G1. Wanna buy it? =[
    I also have a G1, and am now using a Pre.

In my opinion the Palm nailed it with the Pre navigation and multitasking. It seems like a simple thing, but it's just not trivial and you will not see it elsewhere for some time. Android will have to change significantly to be as easy to use. Not that it's bad now, but it's likely to remain middling because of fundamental design decisions. The iPhone seems to be dated in comparison.

If Gmail is critical to you, you should stay on Android. On the Pre, Gmail is just another source of email in synergy, and Palm made the obvious mistake of watering it down to fit in with all other mail sources (note to Palm: most people have a primary mail account and don't care about the others nearly as much). There are no tags, conversation views or keyboard shortcuts, and sync with Gmail calendar is unreliable, as of release 1.1. It may improve, perhaps using smart folders something like tags and conversations can be emulated, but as of now, Gmail is second class on the Pre.

As for development, in my view, most mobile apps, whether on Android or the iPhone, can be easily implemented on the Pre. Other than games and BS augmented reality experiments, the use cases on mobile devices do not require native and comprehensive SDKs.

With that said, Palm's Mojo framework is something to learn and in some ways there's no escape for the programmer from knowing HTML and CSS, and conversely no escape for the HTML guy from really knowing JavaScript. Conceptually though, anyone who's been developing modern apps will recognize familiar schemes like MVC, messaging, asynchronous calls etc. What's missing is multithreading support, at this point at least.

But I definitely use my Pre much more than my G1, it's faster, more intuitive and ergonomic.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Frankly, Sprint kind of sucks (customer support is atrocious) but the Pre itself is awesome and I love Palm.