Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I'm just wondering if there is any reason to keep them on my phone and risk DOOOOOOOMMMM!!!! If the update is somehow uploaded to my phone and I don't have the chance to get them off before it happens.

Don't want a bricked or unusable Pre!
    You can't brick it, some stuff might POSSIBLY get screwed up but it's actually pretty unlikely. But I think the best route is to block updates and wait for release, then WebOS Doctor and start fresh.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i will uninstall tweaks as soon as my phone says there is an update available. I dont see a reason to do it any sooner.
    I did it last week. Well, by WebOS Doctoring 1.2 onto it, then back to 1.1 for testing. Or was it the week before. Seems like we have been waiting for a while.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 09/28/2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    i will uninstall tweaks as soon as my phone says there is an update available. I dont see a reason to do it any sooner.
    I'm with you on this one. I removed themes and tweaks last week, thinking there was going to be an update. When it didn't happen, I put my new theme back with all the tweaks (landscape e-mail, character count and battery percentage).

Until there's an official update notification, I'm not taking them off again. I went a few days without the tweaks and I missed them a lot.
    ill probably just take them off on thursday
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Since your phone won't update automatically until it's had an update for a week or so, there doesn't seem to be any reason to rush the tweak removal.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  8. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    You phone should ask your permission to upgrade I think. At least for a week until it stops asking and starts telling.

xtn
    So when is the 1.2.1 update supposed to come out now. I know it was the 24th but what date did it get rescheduled to.
    I took all of my tweaks off before the rumored 9/8 release. I am soo missing them, too! I might just add them since there's no sure date announced.
    No worries here about bricking the Pre. Just get the next version of WebOS Doctor and reimage it. I've done it already, using the leaked 1.2 version then downgrading by accident to 1.1 which caused it to lock up and show just the palm logo.
    I've got my files backed up by syncing with the USB Drive with Freefilesync.
    The applications from the App Catalog are all backed up by the Pre on a regular basis. The only things not backed up are the File Coaster apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    So when is the 1.2.1 update supposed to come out now. I know it was the 24th but what date did it get rescheduled to.
    Since the first date was only know because people violated NDAs, I'm sure Palm is keeping the official date closer to their chest to eliminate another "late" update that was never announced and therefore never "late". Hopefully it will be out on Thursday though.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I am new to this homebrew stuff and i have a question about the updates. The only thing I installed on my phone was the preware, then i have installed a few homebrew apps, i installed the virtual keyboard with the patch and I have installed a gew themes. My question is what exactly do I need to remove before I update my phone to avoid any issues I may have with the new update? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    You need to remove the virtual keyboard and the themes.
    The only tweaks on my phone are those that I have made by manually editing related files...and I know that each one of those tweaks is completely encapsulated in a single file (each). Thus, if v1.2 replaces the file, I lose the tweak...that's it. There is no danger for me of having one file updated that has been tweaked and having another related tweaked file not updated...thereby potentially breaking an app...not that it's a huge deal regardless. That issue is fixed easily enough.

That said, if you used the GUI app to install your tweaks, I suggest uninstalling the tweaks prior to the 1.2 update...since you don't know the complexity of each tweak and what the potential impact is of leaving it in place during the upgrade. Fortunately, doing so is a breeze with that tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    You can't brick it, some stuff might POSSIBLY get screwed up but it's actually pretty unlikely. But I think the best route is to block updates and wait for release, then WebOS Doctor and start fresh.
    +1. I don't mind reapplying tweaks etc. = ) I also don't mind re-rooting my Pre for installation of MyTether 2.0.x. Yes I know you can do it without rooting, but I couldn't get i working with the latest version unless I did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jurias View Post
    You need to remove the virtual keyboard and the themes.
    Just uninstall them correct? I do not have to remove the preware or do a hard phone reset?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Ok I'm still fairly new to all of this tweaking stuff but so far, aside from a ton of home brew apps, the onlything I have done to me phone is enabled the ability to add and remove launcher pages and right now I am using 5 pages. My question is if I remove that tweak do I loose the extra pages that I created or just the ability to add and remove them. Also if I do automatically loose them where do the icons go? My other question is if I don't automatically loose those extra pages do I need to remove them too or just remove the tweak that allows you to add/remove them?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    The only tweaks on my phone are those that I have made by manually editing related files...and I know that each one of those tweaks is completely encapsulated in a single file (each). Thus, if v1.2 replaces the file, I lose the tweak...that's it. There is no danger for me of having one file updated that has been tweaked and having another related tweaked file not updated...thereby potentially breaking an app...not that it's a huge deal regardless. That issue is fixed easily enough.
    This.
    However I may just run WebOSReapirUtility anyway to make sure everything is reverted.
    I'm not. 1.1 is getting slow and booting is taking FORVER so imma make an appointment with the dr.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast