1.    #1  
    Earlier this morning, I did the most unthinkable accident and dropped my Pre into my water cup. Needless to say, its pretty much fried...
    It's highly unlike me to do something even remotely close to being THIS clumsy.

Been with Sprint for over 10yrs and NEVER had to use my insurance once!
    I know I can stress a bit less knowing I can pay my deductible and get a new one. However, now my mind is on the data that was on the phone.
    The screen will flicker on & off very faintly, and although I can't do anything else with the phone, I'm hoping the tech can possibly transfer some date over to the new phone.
    I'm aware the Pre syncs/updates itself constantly and SOME data is stored on Palm's end. But what does it actually store?
    I've already gave up hope on photos for one, and now I'm worried about my contact list.

If anyone has any idea on what I'll be able to retrieve back, that'd be greatly appreciated. Just watching the clock ticking ever so slowly till the Sprint store opens. Thanks all.

-sad Pre user... very sad...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Best thing to do if that happens is remove the battery ASAP and then get uncooked rice and a big Tupperware container with a lid. Fill the bowl half way put your pre inside then fill the bowl with more rice and put the lid on. Let it sit for a day or so in a warm (not super hot) place. You can change the rice a few times if you like. The rice will suck the moisture out.

Hard to say what you will be able to recover until you try but it's best to take the power off any device that has gotten wet and not try to power it on till you have removed all the moisture.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    Take the battery out and stick the phone in a bowl of rice for 24hrs. There is a very good possiblity that this will dry it out to where you can at least get the data off.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

4.    #4  
    Thank you for the tip on how to my Pre a much needed CPR. lol.
    Who knew, rice of all things! Clever.

I guess my general question is, what does the Palm profile store on their end? So instead of me 'drowning' my Pre today, let's say I lost it. When I get a replacement, will it just re-download apps and hopefully contacts? Thank you again for the replies.
    I got my pre replaced because of a dead touchscreen.

As soon as I enered my palm profile it restored al of my accounts (e-mail, calendar and such).

It also restored all of the apps that I had installed via the app catalog.

I have not used the homebrew apps yet ... so I don't know if those will be restored. I do know that all the info that I had in SplashID was gone ... the app was back. but empty.
    It stores all contact info and backs up any official app catalog download.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    It will restore all contacts, e-mail, official app catalog downloads you have, but not texts or homebrew apps, photos, etc.
  8.    #8  
    YEEEEEEEEEES!!! There is a light at the end of this bleak & depressing tunnel!
    Contacts are what was the most important to me! Had already begun looking for my old flip phone somewhere in storage so they could sync it up with my new Pre, but seems like there is no need.
    Negative on the Homebrew apps, so no worries there either.
    I am a bit bummed about photos but I do try to transfer/copy those to my computer so I have most of them.

And seriously, you guys all rock for the quick & friendly answers. I was in serious panic mode this morning and you guys have definitely helped bringing my stress level down.
    Only an hour and fifteen minutes to go till the Sprint store opens. Just want to get the whole replacement process started asap. I can't fathom going 2-3 days without my Pre, but no one else to blame except me on that one...
    Another tip try using the search feature on this forum. There are tons of valuable info here and sometimes a simple search will give you the solution you need. Also it keep the forum less cluttered with multiple posts of the same topics,questions, etc...

Also if you want to backup your txt msgs follow these steps:
    1) Access Pre via Linux "Root"
    2) Copy /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal
    3) Connect via USB (or SFTP) and copy PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer.
    4) Switch out Pre's!
    5) Move the PalmDatabase.db3 back to the USB drive on your new Pre
    5) Backup the current PalmDatabase.db3 (make sure the filesystem is in RW mode) [mv /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.old]
    6) Move your old database to the correct postion [mv /media/internal/PalmDatabase.db3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3]
    7) Switch back to Read-Only mode
    8) Reset the PrPrPr

Hope This Helps
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    Another tip try using the search feature on this forum. There are tons of valuable info here and sometimes a simple search will give you the solution you need. Also it keep the forum less cluttered with multiple posts of the same topics,questions, etc...
    Hey, I totally agree with you on keeping the forum less cluttered. And when I do visit the forums, I see tons of the same questions re-posted. I'll definitely try to do my part in the future.
    Although, going off 0 hours asleep, and full on panic mode at 5 am, I wasn't thinking straight. All I can think of at the time was, "PreCentral" will help me till the Sprint store opens!!!
    My apologies.

*rushes off to Sprint*

And thank you for the detailed text messaging back-up trick!
    NO need to apologize. Just wanted to help. I too have started a thread b4 searching. Good Luck
  12.    #12  
    Just came back from the Sprint store. The *2 lady who helped me earlier in the morning gave me ALL SORTS of wrong info. Like the store being able to help you send the phone in for a replacement and how they'll also give you a loaner phone for $25. Which you'll get back once you return the loaner.
    The reps at the Sprint store had no clue about what I was talking about.
    They mentioned that they stopped doing the loaner phones a few yrs back.

They instead let me use their phone to call the 800 number to the insurance and they are shipping me a new Pre that'll be here by tomorrow.
    $100 non-refundable deductible, which I understand. She also did state the new phone will have a 12 month warranty on it.

All in all, hectic & stressful morning but glad it's all taken care of. Now here's hoping the new Pre tomorrow will re-download my contact information smoothly...

Thanks again to the great community!!!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Congrats, glad you are getting taken care of. Just a bit of info for when you get the new phone, once you start the sign-in/restoral process, it may take a little while for all of your contacts and e-mails to get repopulated. Just when you think it's about done, it will keep filling up. So just don't expect that you will sign in and it'll all be right there, it can/does take some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Re-InventedB View Post
    And thank you for the detailed text messaging back-up trick!
    Did you try the text messaging back-up? I dropped mine and the screen cracked, and I definitely don't wanna lose my texts, so I'm thinking about doing that.

Two questions for anyone who can answer them:

1) can i root the phone without the screen working? i can't see what i'm tapping or even if tapping still works.

2) is there anything else important that won't get brought into the new pre that I should back up? Stuff besides texts, music, photos and videos.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Congrats, glad you are getting taken care of. Just a bit of info for when you get the new phone, once you start the sign-in/restoral process, it may take a little while for all of your contacts and e-mails to get repopulated. Just when you think it's about done, it will keep filling up. So just don't expect that you will sign in and it'll all be right there, it can/does take some time.
    Good to know. Just glad it will restore my contacts. And email also? Looking forward to my new shiny & dry Pre tomorrow...
    Thanks khmer, your instructions on swapping out the db file worked like a charm! I have all my old texts on the new phone.

Also, in response to my own question, if you have dev mode on, you can root your phone even without the screen working. Thankfully, I had left it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Re-InventedB View Post
    Been with Sprint for over 10yrs and NEVER had to use my insurance once!

On a side note, that line there is really worth some thought.

120 months at $7.00/month, and you've spent $840 for insurance you've never used. With the $100 water damage deductible, that's $940.00.

For what you've spent, you could buy a pre outright with a couple hundred bucks still in your pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I've got the $7 TEP on my account too, but it's something to think about......
    I used mine like 5 times by now... totally worth it. Plus it used to be cheaper, like 4$/mo.
    Jivadent, how could you use the insurance 5 times? You must be very lucky.

My insurance with sprint was canceled after the 3rd time I had to use it (with my Treo 700p). their reason was that I used it too many times in past 2 1/2 years.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Quote Originally Posted by huytrang90 View Post
    Jivadent, how could you use the insurance 5 times? You must be very lucky.

My insurance with sprint was canceled after the 3rd time I had to use it (with my Treo 700p). their reason was that I used it too many times in past 2 1/2 years.
    Yeah, ditto here... they cancelled mine after the 3rd Treo, but it's not a permanent cancellation: I think it's a year. Anyway, I signed up for it again and used it twice since.