1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I have two touchstones (1 on my desk and 1 by the bed) and while they appear as if they charge, it seems sporadic. As an example, it will charge fine if I put the phone in Airplane Mode for a few hours but of course I can't do that during the day; however, with no cards open, GPS off, and not in Airplane Mode is seems to lose power sometimes or charge extremely slow.

I know it is sitting correctly on the touchstone since it chimes and says "Charging Battery" but it's hit or miss if it actually charges. If the touchstone just charges slowly and can't keep up with the 10+% drain per hour then I guess I will have to retire them.

Am I missing something? Please post a reply even if it is to tell me I am an *****. I'm really at a loss. Thanks in advance!!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    It is loosing connection in the battery cover. That's why is seems to not be keeping up. Gently push the cover torwards the battery to see if it helps make contact better. I had the same problem, this fixed it.
    What cord are you using to charge them? Are you using the stock Palm charger?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Is the one on your desk the main one you're having problems with? How are they plugged in? If your desk TS is plugged into a USB port it won't get enough juice from the computer to charge the phone unless you're barely using it. If i plug my phone into the USB of my comp and set it to just charge it maintains the same charge if I'm just using the web browser, any more and it drains slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    It is loosing connection in the battery cover. That's why is seems to not be keeping up. Gently push the cover torwards the battery to see if it helps make contact better. I had the same problem, this fixed it.
    This seems like a plausible solution. Not sure why it would continue to indicate that it's charging if it isn't, but there must be something that is keeping the Pre from charging. Since it's doing it on two Touchstones, it's unlikely to be the TS. You might also consider taking off the battery cover and inspecting the contact plates. There are two small plates on the cover that need to be in contact with two raised contacts that you can see near the battery (this is why the bigger batteries won't work with the TS--they are too big to allow contacts on the door to hit these contacts on the Pre). If you see anything but nice shiny metal on either side, it would be worth cleaning with a bit of alcohol on a qtip. If they are already clean or that doesn't help, you could also try to VERY gently pry up the contacts on the Pre side to make them just a bit taller--that may apply a bit more force to the contact plates on the door side and give a better connection.

If that doesn't work, and a reset of the Pre doesn't work, I'm thinking the TS battery cover you have may be defective. You could take it back to the Sprint store and ask to try a different cover. If you bring in your touchstone and charger, you should be able to tell the difference in a few minutes. With the Pre doing nothing, it should take no more than 2 hours to charge the battery from fully dead. So you should see it go up by 10% in about 10 minutes.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the responses! I'm still testing but to answer the questions, I am using the supplied cables from Palm, the wall plugs from Palm (Palm everything) and I have checked the pins on the phone. The pins appear to be fine and you can see where contact is being made on the touchstone back since there is some scratching from the contact. Will update on any further developments....It currently looks like it will charge correctly until a notification happens....Thanks all!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cypress101 View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I'm still testing but to answer the questions, I am using the supplied cables from Palm, the wall plugs from Palm (Palm everything) and I have checked the pins on the phone. The pins appear to be fine and you can see where contact is being made on the touchstone back since there is some scratching from the contact. Will update on any further developments....It currently looks like it will charge correctly until a notification happens....Thanks all!!
    That's interesting. Did you try orange-Sym-R to reset?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer