1.    #1  
    Hello. I have a question.

The other day I was at the gym and had gotten a phone call. I decided to answer the call but I didn't want to put my pre against my ear because it was kind of sweaty. I saw out of the corner of my eye that my pre's screen still did the auto shut off with it being around an inch away from my ear.
    I found this very neat because I always thought it shut off by the screen sensing a a "touch" near the top have of the screen.

When I got home, I decided to mess with this feature some more to see how exactly it works. I held my index finger infront of the ear peice and slowly got closer and saw the screen shut off. I did this about 12 times haha, I think I enjoyed it too much.

My question: how does the pre sense when to turn off the phone? (When I did the finger test there was still a lot of ambient light on the phone)
    Is it a light sensor in the ear piece? or something of the sort? if not, how? and where is the exact location of the light sensor?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude Ron View Post
    Hello. I have a question.

The other day I was at the gym and had gotten a phone call. I decided to answer the call but I didn't want to put my pre against my ear because it was kind of sweaty. I saw out of the corner of my eye that my pre's screen still did the auto shut off with it being around an inch away from my ear.
    I found this very neat because I always thought it shut off by the screen sensing a a "touch" near the top have of the screen.

When I got home, I decided to mess with this feature some more to see how exactly it works. I held my index finger infront of the ear peice and slowly got closer and saw the screen shut off. I did this about 12 times haha, I think I enjoyed it too much.

My question: how does the pre sense when to turn off the phone? (When I did the finger test there was still a lot of ambient light on the phone)
    Is it a light sensor in the ear piece? or something of the sort? if not, how? and where is the exact location of the light sensor?

Thanks.
    proximity sensor. prolly senses light. iphone has the same thing. i think its by the earpiece
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    ^ Agreed. It's to the right of the earpiece. If you hold the phone at an angle you can see the 3 little cells.
    There are 2 sensors to the right of the earpiece. One is a light sensor that senses ambient light. When it's bright, the screen is brighter. When it's dark, the screen is less bright--on the Touchstone, the screen locks automatically when it's dark.

The other is the proximity sensor. Not sure whether it is sound or radio wave based, but the principle is the same in both cases (I think ultrasound is most likely): it sends out a signal, and if it bounces back quickly enough, then it knows something is close. The proximity sensor is used to determine whether the phone is close to your face or not during a call.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer