View Poll Results: Have you needed to exchange your Pre due to a failed or defective power button?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep

19 24.05%
  • Nope

60 75.95%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Today I went into the Sprint store I purchased my Pre from on launch day to have them order a replacement, as the power button on my particular launch day device had given out. This is only a few weeks after needing to get my significant others Pre of the same vintage replaced for the same issue.

Talking with the Sprint rep, I was told that his device had the same issue and needed to be replaced. There was also another guy in the store exchanging his Pre for the same reason.

So, with all of that in mind, and the increasing number of threads being created by folks having this same issue, I have to ask:
    Have you experienced this issue?
    Nee-yope.
    Quote Originally Posted by oftel101 View Post
    I searched the forums for a fix and the paper fix worked like a charm. Took me five minutes and feels like a new button! Give thanks to those who come up with these solutions and post them!
    What is the paper fix?
    mine fell off, so I have to use the 'screenoff' app or a bobby pin. To turn it off I use the device info app.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Mine failed after 10 months of use. .Took it into BestBuy to have it repaired under warranty and was told that the spring inside had corroded. No water damage to the phone, just corrosion. WTH?
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Haven't seen this on my Pre (yet). Had this problem with 3 earlier Palm products, so I am worried. The only problem I have is the bloody stuck in headset mode about once a week.
    Had some minor problems with mine, but it's holding so far.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    By taking off the battery panel you can get in behind the power button and clean the contactors. Twice I have just had dust in there and it fixed it both times.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Mine failed & I had it repaired at a Sprint shop. Got in to this thread after poll closed.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I am worried about this because EVERY Palm device I have had over the past decade has gone out with a power button failure except my Treo 755p. The list includes a Palm III, a m-100, m-125, Tungsten E, Tungsten E-2, and Tungsten T. All experienced power button failure within 2.5 years of purchase.
    YES!!! Then soon after (1 month) keyboard started dying.. then i had to take it to the Sprint store they had to end up replacing it.
    Mine is very hard to push, but it works, (19 months)
    I just had the power button problem with my 4th or 5th Sprint Pre. I tried the paper repair and it seems to work, but I think it's only temporary. I'm about to lose my Sprint premier status (bought the phone in Nov. 09) and not sure I can stick with Palm much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    I just had the power button problem with my 4th or 5th Sprint Pre. I tried the paper repair and it seems to work, but I think it's only temporary. I'm about to lose my Sprint premier status (bought the phone in Nov. 09) and not sure I can stick with Palm much longer.
    Ha! In the same boat in regards to the premier status...

But back on topic...

Throughout the 6 Pre- devices I've had, thankfully I have not had a power issue, sometimes the device hangs when it's off and sliding it open has brought it back up, and the power button worked again...
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    Use a rubber-band. It worked perfectly for a friend of mine (half a year ago and still works perfectly).
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Man, I think I cursed myself! Yesterday my power button finally gave out on my 06/2009 Pre-. I was thinking my Pre was pulling an April Fool's prank on me... But alas, I still had the problem today.

As I mentioned above, I fixed it with a piece of rubber band, and I actually think it's almost better than new!

How many presses are these power buttons rated for???
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    After being just hard to depress for a while, the power putton on my original sprint pre now just does not respond at all. Tried the pencil eraser fix, but then the screen started randomly coming on and off, when i wasn't hitting the button. Having now removed the eraser, it's doing the same thing -- acting like the power button is being held down despite the fact that i can't hit the power button at all. Anyone have any advice?
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazenby View Post
    After being just hard to depress for a while, the power putton on my original sprint pre now just does not respond at all. Tried the pencil eraser fix, but then the screen started randomly coming on and off, when i wasn't hitting the button. Having now removed the eraser, it's doing the same thing -- acting like the power button is being held down despite the fact that i can't hit the power button at all. Anyone have any advice?
    Bit late but as this just happend to mine...

Mine was also hard to press and i figured it was stuck depressed. Used a knife edge to flick button up again but it detached itself from the phone. Apparently its just pushed into position and it was quite a bit of dirt under it so i just cleaned it and pushed the button back on again and now its working like a charm.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234