1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    My Pre didn't come with a car charger and since my wife's phone uses the same micro usb port I thought her's would work fine... I was wrong. The charger quit working a minute or so after plugging into the Pre. So I went down to the Sprint store to buy the wife a new charger. The sales rep happily sold me a replacement with the sprint logo on it. That one burned up too. So I bought the Palm branded charger and it works fine. I assume it provides more amps to the phone. Anyone know how much the Pre draws? The crappy sprint brand charger says it outputs .85 amps.
    I'm far from an expert on this, but I will say I believe it depends on what applications you are running. When I'm in my car, I typically run sprint navigation, shoutcast, and bluetooth. With all of those running, my car charger is not able to keep up with it, however, if the screen is turned off, and I turn one of those three things off, it increases the charge slightly.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    USB standard requires port to yield 500mAmps, so many (not so smart) charger vendors set their product yield at this current value. It may power your Pre, but if your phone is not idle - forget about charging. Since my experiments with Instinct (confirmed with Pre) I assume that you need 1000mA yield to comfortably power/charge Pre and similar power-hungry devices. Don't buy any charger (car or power outlet) if it does not guarantee 1000mA current output. I got my car charger that meets this requirement at Target, and it is not brand name...
    can you post of a link of the charger you bought?
    There is a Palm specific car charger for that and the Palm Treo Pro. Also, "standard" micro-USB home chargers should be avoided. Use the Palm one or one labeled as specifically compatible. It won't let me post a link, since I'm new, but goto Sprint.com and look at accessories, choose Palm, choose the Pre, choose batteries/charging. There it shows AC chargers and car chargers that work for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I have the Sprint logo car charger that was labeled to work with the Pre and Treo and it works fine regardless of how many apps I am running....actually seems to charge fast.
    This is the charger you need, the only one that has NOT had any reported problems charging the Pre even whilst Navigation and Pandora is running. Save yourself the time and money and frustration and get this:

http://store.precentral.net/palm-veh.../5A47A4229.htm

One note, the Touchstone doesn't transfer the full current to your phone, I think I've seen about 75% quoted somewhere around here. I've noticed that Sprint Nav will charge just slightly using the Touchstone and the Palm charger. I estimate that's about a 700mA draw all by itself. When I run Sprint Nav and music on the Touchstone, I experience a slight loss of charge, so I think perhaps music by itself is about 100mA (which fits with a 12-hour music playing time). So I think nav and music together is around 800mA. Without the Touchstone, I can run both Nav and music and still get a decent charge. I think 1000mA is about right for max draw on the Pre (and at that rate, the stock battery would be drained in just a little over an hour).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    This is the charger you need, the only one that has NOT had any reported problems charging the Pre even whilst Navigation and Pandora is running. Save yourself the time and money and frustration and get this:

agreed! that is by far the best charger for the pre!! Its small and it works great. (GPS and Pandora together) When I go out of town i just bring the wall charger, car charger and cable, and it all fits in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I use a generic car charger that was originally for the Samsung Rant to charge the Pre. Admittedly, I do have issues sometimes with getting the Pre to start charging from it, however, I went on a 2 hour trip yesterday and had wireless, bluetooth and Sprint Nav all running. The phone kept a 100% charge the whole time. I would have tried Pandora but I don't have an FM transmitter to pump music to my truck speakers.
  11. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wormdood View Post
    I have the Sprint logo car charger that was labeled to work with the Pre and Treo and it works fine regardless of how many apps I am running....actually seems to charge fast.
    That's the one that burned up (quit working). Says on the sticker that it works with Palm phones and the kid at the Sprint store sold it to me. Waste of my money. I bought the Palm brand charger and works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post

Great $$$ deal there!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    That's the one that burned up (quit working). Says on the sticker that it works with Palm phones and the kid at the Sprint store sold it to me. Waste of my money. I bought the Palm brand charger and works like a charm!
    There's a difference between the charger that has a label that says it works
    with Palm and Treos and the one that says it works *specifically* with the Pre.
    The charger looks the same, but it's not in fact the same unit. If it doesn't
    say Pre on the packaging then they gave you the wrong one. I had the
    first one in hand, and they directed me to the other, at the Sprint store.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 09/29/2009 at 12:10 AM.