Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So i used the mytether app for about 2 weeks for daily internet use (watching movies, listening to music) and i ended up getting a pretty sweet bill lol. Just curious if anyone else got a bill with more or less data usage and what is the cap? Did i go past the cap?

http: //i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/Counterbond/CIMG0001. jpg (remove spaces from jpg and //)

basically i hit 5.5 million units of data lol
    You got hit with charges because you used it to do things that the phone itself couldn't do alone...watching movies? Come on haha, you couldn't have made it more obvious to Sprint.
    Best Buy Mobile Rep (I'm off the clock, I speak for myself and not Best Buy)
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    How much were your charges? Unlimited == 5GB
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Movies? That's just plain abuse!
    Sweet bill = ?

Looks like you hit just over 5GB of data.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    This is the kind of action that will ruin the app for everyone else that uses it on an as needed basis. Its common sense! Use it when you need it...I.e. travel, outage or something of that sort. Movies and music, c'mon now man... Really? Did you think that Spint would not catch this???
    My data looks like that on some months, I've never been charged over my normal 141.55 a month. (Family plan with everything data)
    I see the additional charges column is empty next to data, so I'm guessing he didn't get any kind of overage fees, so sweet bill = bill with no extra charges? Looks like he only went over the 5GB by a few hundred megs.
    ouch. But you should have known it could happen. You made yourself a target with your usage. I bet sprint knows you were tethering as well...consider yourself lucky, if they used a packet sniffer and know you were tethering technically they could cancel your service and charge you the etf...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Yeah I really hope this doesn't become a problem and starts getting abused. Sprint will quickly lay down the law when it does.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Yeah I really hope this doesn't become a problem and starts getting abused. Sprint will quickly lay down the law when it does.
    Amen!!
    From what I see he didn't get charged for going over, in fact it doesn't look like he was forced to deal with the 5gig limit at all.

From what I've seen recently, in regard to the bill and information at Sprint.com, it looks like it truly is unlimited in some areas if not everywhere, I've looked over all my fine-print, and the website and haven't been able to actually see that limit apply to me.

From what it seems from the provided picture, Sprint is not restricting data usage to 5gigs, and I'm sure Sprint knows of the tethering, it's extraordinarily obvious to anyone using tether, from a networking perspective, if you don't think they've implemented something to track usage on par to the new Mifi or whatever that's called...

So, don't berate him, nothings going to change because of his usage besides Sprint giving him a call about it if they don't like it.
    You do realize you just posted your phone number online right? Besides the first digit, which has to be a number between 2 and 9, your whole number is there.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    You do realize you just posted your phone number online right? Besides the first digit, which has to be a number between 2 and 9, your whole number is there.
    What he said...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    From what I see he didn't get charged for going over, in fact it doesn't look like he was forced to deal with the 5gig limit at all.

From what I've seen recently, in regard to the bill and information at Sprint.com, it looks like it truly is unlimited in some areas if not everywhere, I've looked over all my fine-print, and the website and haven't been able to actually see that limit apply to me.

From what it seems from the provided picture, Sprint is not restricting data usage to 5gigs, and I'm sure Sprint knows of the tethering, it's extraordinarily obvious to anyone using tether, from a networking perspective, if you don't think they've implemented something to track usage on par to the new Mifi or whatever that's called...

So, don't berate him, nothings going to change because of his usage besides Sprint giving him a call about it if they don't like it.

All that I am saying is, if there is an over abundance of people using the app for their sole internet connection, we may see Sprint cracking down on the app. I just hope that people will take this advice, not just as criticism, but as a learning experience.
    yes use wisely. Don't use it every day as your sole source of internet access. If you are on vacation and watching a movie on Hulu use low setting ( i did for three nights with no complaints from sprint). Don't try and bit torrent with it. Just don't abuse and you'll be ok.
  17.    #17  
    Wow..lol didnt expect that much uproar lol. My bill wasn't anymore than it should have been. So yea, and i only used it for about two weeks as a primary internet connection. I just thought it was sweet because it was plain to see what i was doing and i didnt get in trouble for it. foolish immature whatever ....awesome. Is 5 million units the cap per month?
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Stop with the 5 "million unit crap" please.

5GB cap is only for wireless cards, not cell phones, although they'll shut you down if you keep abusing it.
    This whole thread is totally misleading. User went over 5GB, which may or may not be any kind of limit, but user was not charged anymore than normal. User's bill didn't say anything about any extra charges. User's definition of "sweet" bill is that he did something he shouldn't have done and got away with it.

In my opinion, we should be able to tether from time to time, and since Sprint hasn't cracked down on it (except in some extreme instances from what I understand), that is the defacto rule. But it's kind of like speeding. Yeah, most people do it, and you're quite safe going 5 mph over, but if you're doing 20 mph over, you're eventually going to get caught. Keep tethering casual and relatively infrequent, and it should be okay.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by counterbond View Post
    So i used the mytether app for about 2 weeks for daily internet use (watching movies, listening to music) and i ended up getting a pretty sweet bill lol. Just curious if anyone else got a bill with more or less data usage and what is the cap? Did i go past the cap?

http: //i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/Counterbond/CIMG0001. jpg (remove spaces from jpg and //)

basically i hit 5.5 million units of data lol
    I hit 3.5 million units using pandora alone my first month so I imagine 5 million is possible if you never turned it off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast