1.    #1  
    i hate to sound pushy but i hate the aim app on my pre.... is there one in the works that will be as good as sidekicks?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Works great forme.. What's the issue??
    Works great for me too; but maybe Beejive would work better for you.

You should contact the developer and ask them if they're working on a WebOS version.
  4.    #4  
    i like it but i want one thats like full blown just aim with the icons and status not like the webos one where its connected to your text... how do i get like web based ones
    Read front page of precentral
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I don't see how the webos implementation is any different from a normal client. In fact it's better seeing as integrated it is into the platform.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The included AIM app with the Pre is ok but gets very limited, and long conversations are annoying with the default notification sound. I can't wait till I can add custom sounds for IM and email
    I don't particularly want a separate app. Half the usefulness of "Synergy" is that I don't have to login to a bunch of separate places and leave applications open--the software pulls all my messages into the same view, I send my responses, and it routes them to wherever they came from.

Letting me see my online AIM contacts through Google like Gmail does would be much more useful, and keep my contacts manageable.
    What i cant wait for is a yahoo app finally. aol works just fine for me. And i wouldnt compare anything to the sidekick. Its like apples and raisins.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I like the implementation of AIM, it seems just like an IM window on the desktop...especially with the separate window tweak, then you can have multiple conversations and just swipe to each one
    Is there an update to the AIM app that doesn't completely drain the battery?

If I have AIM running, my battery doesn't make it more than 12 hours which makes the app almost unusable for me.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound of Silence View Post
    Is there an update to the AIM app that doesn't completely drain the battery?

If I have AIM running, my battery doesn't make it more than 12 hours which makes the app almost unusable for me.
    you need your battery last more then 12 hours... why?
    i wish mine lasted 12 hours i would be in great shape and feeling awesome ....lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Because I'm away from the house sometimes for more than 12 hours at a time?

And 12 hours is stretching it with AIM anyways -- I'll test it out tonight and see how long it stays up, I suspect it will completely drain the battery within 6-7 hours.

I can understand the battery draining when talking on the phone, checking email constantly, browsing the web, etc... But when the phone isn't being talked on, and email isn't being checked, the AIM application should not be near as big a battery drain as it is -- my old Treo 700wx could run an AIM app with zero issues and keep charged 12+ hours easy.

I understand what some are saying in regards to it is a "battery intensive" phone -- but a phone that you can't grab off the charger at noon and have it not die before you make it back home late that night has a major, major design flaw.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I understand what some are saying in regards to it is a "battery intensive" phone -- but a phone that you can't grab off the charger at noon and have it not die before you make it back home late that night has a major, major design flaw.
    You must be new to the current market of smartphones, especially touchscreen ones. With stock batteries, they all die rather quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by A105293 View Post
    i hate to sound pushy but i hate the aim app on my pre.... is there one in the works that will be as good as sidekicks?
    sidekicks are for deafies
    You must be new to the current market of smartphones, especially touchscreen ones. With stock batteries, they all die rather quickly.
    Again, I could talk on the phone, browse the web and have an AIM client running the entire time with my Treo 700wx and it could go 12+ hours before conking out.

There is some kind of design flaw with the AIM app, it isn't that intensive a piece of software.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    Why not?

I suspect it will completely drain the battery within 6-7 hours.
    It will.

Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    You must be new to the current market of smartphones.
    No he isn't.

Again, I could talk on the phone, browse the web and have an AIM client running the entire time with my Treo 700wx and it could go 12+ hours before conking out.

There is some kind of design flaw with the AIM app, it isn't that intensive a piece of software.
    You're absolutely right there's a problem. Your 700wx ran it fine in a day, and my Blackberry Tour could run AIM for a week before the battery died.

One of two things should be happening:
    1) Palm should be implementing AIM through a push & compression server
    2) Palm should partner with AIM to have an SMS standby feature like VeriChat used to have, so you could stay signed in without using your battery up.

Unfortunately I'd venture to say that neither one of those are going to happen.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    With stock batteries, they all die rather quickly.
    This is an outright lie, or at best, a horrible case of rationalizing on the part of Pre users.

There is no new smart phone that is as badly limited by a battery as the Pre is. AIM is almost to the point of unusability unless you've got perfect signal coverage and do almost nothing else with the Pre while it's connected.