Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    When I tether my Pre (via MyTether USB), I get speeds of approximately 1 Mbit per second.

Yet, it seems like most of the time, when I try to open a simple text-only webpage on the Pre browser, it takes forever. It seems like once the site is open, navigation within the site is quick. It's just loading the first page of any new website that takes FOREVER, even though I have a strong EV-DO signal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Simple.

The speed at which your browser opperates is dependent on three things.

1. Your connection.
    2. Your browser.
    3. Your computer's hardware.

#2 and #3 both slow the Pre down. You'd think that the lite mobile browser would be faster, but most pages have to be reformatted at least somewhat by the browser because they are not made for the hVGA screen on the Pre.

Also, the hardware in the Pre is nowhere near as powerful as the hardware in whatever you're tethering to it, so it can't render as quickly.

When tethered, the pre is just passing the data through with no processing in between.
    I noticed it was pretty fast while tethering. I was expecting it to be more towards dial-up slow, but it wasn't.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply, VeeDubb. But should it still be the case with the mobile-specific websites? For instance, my bank has a mobile site with no pics or graphics, just two login fields. It takes forever to load, but signing in is quick.

Why would the speed change like that? Every time, the first time I bring up a page it takes forever, but navigating links within the site is fast.

Thanks again
    That's an interesting question, and the best I can give is an educated guess. Hopefully somebody can either confirm this or explain why I'm wrong.

It's safe to assume that your bank uses https instead of http. (if they don't, you don't want to even bank there, let alone use their website)

It could be that there is something in the security certificate handling on the Pre that isn't optimized very well. That would explain why loading the site is slow, but once you're anywhere on the site you can navigate around quickly. It bogs down on the certificate, but works fine once authenticated.

Also of note, yes, even mobile sites will be slower on the Pre than they would be on a desktop, because the processing power of the Pre is only a fraction of a modest desktop system.
    My banks website is slow too .so no worries .like veedubb said security most likely
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    When you tether you basically turn the Pre into a wireless router with a proccessor running at 500mhz most home routers only have a 175mhz cpu, when your using the onboard browser(no tether) the Pre is proccessing everything plus its browser.

Long weekend but hope that explains things correctly.......
    Quote Originally Posted by tben339 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, VeeDubb. But should it still be the case with the mobile-specific websites? For instance, my bank has a mobile site with no pics or graphics, just two login fields. It takes forever to load, but signing in is quick.

Why would the speed change like that? Every time, the first time I bring up a page it takes forever, but navigating links within the site is fast.

Thanks again
    This sounds like slow dns queries. Once you are at the site the dns is cached on the pre. So the dns server is not needed any more. Which would explain the pre being faster once within the site.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    This sounds like slow dns queries. Once you are at the site the dns is cached on the pre. So the dns server is not needed any more. Which would explain the pre being faster once within the site.
    If you think that this is the case, you can test it by connecting to the site's IP address, rather than domain name. If it is much faster, then it is indeed a DNS issue. To find the site's IP, ping it from your PC or do a whois lookup: http://cqcounter.com/whois/

If the above test doesn't help, another thing you can try is to connect your Pre over your home's WiFi. If the page still takes forever to load, then the problem is your Pre and it's slow (in desktop terms) browser/cpu. If it connects quickly, then you know that it's the carrier connection.

In order to achieve accurate results, ensure that you have a stable EvDO connection (bars not jumping sporadically) and that you clear the browser cache prior to each test.

Hope this helps.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    My guess is that you're using the autoreplace jack with a large word list - are you?
    Pretty much what others have been saying. Your computers browser usually uses around 128mb of ram at most, and has a pretty powerful processor rendering the pages, as well as cached pages and a lot more room to work with.

The actual data rate is still the same, but your computer can call up pages faster.