Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Also, wouldn't every single person who follows you on twitter get those messages?
    Just ignore him, if he's actually being serious he's a lost cause, if he's trolling, he's looking for attention and is also a lost cause.

Anywho, it's nice to see this implemented, for the most part I only ever use IRC/MSN messenger for chatting, and to say I was slightly heart broken when I noticed MSN wasn't on the Pre at launch. Now if they could only iron out those bugs...
    MSN and IRC (and Yahoo) would be sweeeett.

coool
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    But correct me if I'm wrong, since I rarely use twitter, doesn't that post that information up on a webpage? With an IM, the only record of the IM is the logs on the sending system and the recipient's system.
    You have 2 way to send your message with Twitter: private or public.

Plus, twitter is crowded with 12 year old girls and people who love hearing themselves talk even more than I do
    And MSN is not? Heh, kmon. Just for your information, all developers I know use Twitter to communicate with each others and keep updated with conferences and recent projects they work on. For example, some of my friends are now in San Francisco at CodeWorks09 conference. Yet, we are talking as a group and they keep me updated with all upcoming events. Try to do this with MSN, heh.

All IM's are all things of the past. It is time to start using today's technology. Why do you think Pre developers implemented first some of Google's web only technologies into your phones? They are lost causes also?
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/27/2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  5.    #25  
    and what if you need privacy, is not a messenger better for this purpose
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    All IM's are all things of the past. It is time to start using today's technology. Why do you think Pre developers implemented first some of Google's web only technologies into your phones? They are lost causes also?

Nice try, but I couldn't help notice that along with the google features (which I love) they DID include 2 different IM's, but no twitter......

They also promised several other IM's, so there's a chance that an update will roll out the features we're discussing here before this little patch ever becomes public anyway.

I think online storage is going to continue to grow, and "cloud" information will continue to become more useful.

Twitter on the other hand, I see as a fad.

Don't get me wrong, if it works for you, GREAT! Have a ball. However, I think I know maybe half a dozen people with twitter accounts, while nearly everyone I know has at least one, if not several IM accounts. Not that my experience is any more or less typical than yours, but to say all IM's are a thing of the past seems a little far reaching.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I have some of my messages marked private, viewable only by myself and the receiver. People who follow me cannot see them. I can view those private messages on my Pre with Tweed or on the web, same like Google apps. You might want to read also about those simple commands...

The idea is: using a web application is A LOT more practical then to have specific OS software installed. You endup with 285 programs installed to communicate with everyone.

Also... Twitter is set by default in your phone. Not only as a web tool but also as a search option.
    Last edited by T3CK; 09/27/2009 at 03:01 AM.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    twitter is a huge, terrible fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I have some of my messages marked private, viewable only by myself and the receiver. People who follow me cannot see them. I can view those private messages on my Pre with Tweed or on the web, same like Google apps. You might want to read also about those simple commands...

The idea is: using a web application is A LOT more practical then to have specific OS software installed. You endup with 285 programs installed to communicate with everyone.

Also... Twitter is set by default in your phone. Not only as a web tool but also as a search option.
    Your whole argument is full of logical holes.

1. I don't want to EVER send out anything that even vaguely resembles an instant message that can be read by everyone who knows me.
    2. Why worry about learning and memorizing "simple commands" to do what an IM does by default?
    3. An IM is a web application, and doesn't require system specific software. I can already log into pretty much any IM on the planet from my phone using one of the various web apps that are already out there. I'd just prefer a native client, just as many people would like a native twitter client (and last I checked there were a couple of these already)
    4. Twitter may be set by default on your Pre, but it certainly isn't on mine. There was a bookmark for it, which I deleted the first time I opened the web browser, and it does come up in the universal search (until I find a way to remove that too) but beyond that, there is no twitter integration on my Pre what so ever, and there never was.
    5. Even if you DO use a native app, there's no reason to have 285 IM programs installed unless you're clueless about computers. There are so many multi-protocal IM apps out there, that I can't imagine needing to run more than 1 or 2. For example, the IM program in the Pre which already includes SMS, AIM and GoogleChat, and will soon include yahoo, MSN, and possibly every other IP proocal that uses libpurple, which last I checked, was almost all of them.
    Your whole argument is full of logical holes.

1. I don't want to EVER send out anything that even vaguely resembles an instant message that can be read by everyone who knows me.
    2. Why worry about learning and memorizing "simple commands" to do what an IM does by default?
    3. An IM is a web application, and doesn't require system specific software. I can already log into pretty much any IM on the planet from my phone using one of the various web apps that are already out there. I'd just prefer a native client, just as many people would like a native twitter client (and last I checked there were a couple of these already)
    4. Twitter may be set by default on your Pre, but it certainly isn't on mine. There was a bookmark for it, which I deleted the first time I opened the web browser, and it does come up in the universal search (until I find a way to remove that too) but beyond that, there is no twitter integration on my Pre what so ever, and there never was.
    5. Even if you DO use a native app, there's no reason to have 285 IM programs installed unless you're clueless about computers. There are so many multi-protocal IM apps out there, that I can't imagine needing to run more than 1 or 2. For example, the IM program in the Pre which already includes SMS, AIM and GoogleChat, and will soon include yahoo, MSN, and possibly every other IP proocal that uses libpurple, which last I checked, was almost all of them.
    True!
    could u please flame in pm? that topic is about the great implementation of msn, irc AND icq!! wow, that's so great! i wasn't sure of buying the PRE, cause IM is so important to me, but now...yeah! can't wait for the release party here in germany
    if i understand it right, the support will be a tweek and no official support? (i don't care much, just want to know)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoes View Post
    if i understand it right, the support will be a tweek and no official support? (i don't care much, just want to know)
    You are correct as far as this discussion is concerned. However, Palm has been promising to add other clients to the built in chat for some time, and it's hard to say witch will be available first.
    Man Twitter is horrible = - / MSN Messenger is just great though. I have been using it since early 2000's. Seems like all my friends slowly transitioned to it. They went from AIM to ICQ to MSN Messneger. Or live....whatever, I will always know it as MSN Messnger.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoes View Post
    could u please flame in pm? that topic is about the great implementation of msn, irc AND icq!! wow, that's so great! i wasn't sure of buying the PRE, cause IM is so important to me, but now...yeah! can't wait for the release party here in germany
    What are most used Messengers in Germany:
    Gtalk, Yahoo, or Live Messenger? Thanks
    It's hard to say. I think the most "new" users use MSN and the older ones ICQ. So it's a race between MSN and ICQ. I don't know anyone who uses yahoo or Gtalk.
    It doesn't matter what you guys use now. The case is that MSN Messenger comes loaded with every windows PC and doesn't require a download. As a result by default many people automatically join those others that already have a MSN Messenger account. Almost everybody I know has MSN Messenger so this is a must have add on on the Palm Pre. I would say it is bigger than AIM and Yahoo.

IRC is awesome too! For community groups, but I wouldn't wanna have all of them on my contacts list. So I would say a stand alone IRC app would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    It doesn't matter what you guys use now. The case is that MSN Messenger comes loaded with every windows PC and doesn't require a download. As a result by default many people automatically join those others that already have a MSN Messenger account. Almost everybody I know has MSN Messenger so this is a must have add on on the Palm Pre. I would say it is bigger than AIM and Yahoo.
    Not true. Win XP was the only consumer version of Windows that included MSN. Win 95, Win 98, Vista and 7 did and do not. Get you facts straight and quit spreading misinformation.
  18.    #38  
    True, I use Vista ultimate and it just has a link for Messenger download
    IRC, Twitter, MSN, Yahoo, all of that stuff really is just a bunch of fads. If I need to give someone a message, I drive across town and knock on their door.

You guys are messing around with a bunch of fading fads, better face it...
  20.    #40  
    I am in South America now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast