Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Am I sol? I dropped it in a cup that had melt ice in it and i grabbed it out as soon as possibly. now its sitting off with the battery out. I ran the blow dryer on top of it but the phone ear piece sounds all staticy and the touch screen backlight is off and the screen itself was non responsive. Should i call and file an insurance claim?
    Blow dryer is BAD. Put it in a bag of kitty litter or rice (phone and battery) and leave it over night.
    I'd change out the rice for new, dry rice after a few hours. I'd leave the phone in bagged up in rice at the very least overnight, and probably for a couple of days, changing out the rice a couple of times.

If you do a search here, you'll find mention of using alcohol or alcohol-based products to displace water. I haven't tried it and can't speak to whether it is a good idea or not.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Yah it's sitting in rice now. I took the battery off and it's laying face up with the battery case off. I hope this works because insurance or bestbuy black tie take too damn long to get the phone replaced. Also how can I back up my txt msgs and pics incase i have to get a new phone?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    That's one way to sync... er.... sink a Pre.

(Sorry I'm not helpful, but I can't resist a bad pun.) I hope the rice trick works for you.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz4sale View Post
    Yah it's sitting in rice now. I took the battery off and it's laying face up with the battery case off. I hope this works because insurance or bestbuy black tie take too damn long to get the phone replaced. Also how can I back up my txt msgs and pics incase i have to get a new phone?
    Asurion will get you a new phone in 1 or 2 business days. They are really fast. As long as you have the broken phone to send back to them they will ship out a new phone asap. You can do the whole thing online.

A lost/stolen phone is what takes a long time, b/c then they want to make sure your not bull s***in them and really lost the phone.

If your phone still functions enough to turn on, connect it to your computer and get whatever you can off the phone in usb mode.

I heard that WebOS 1.2.x backup function will back up web bookmarks, if so, you can hold off until its released (hopefully very soon) and you will have that backed up to your palm profile for your new phone.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post
    Asurion will get you a new phone in 1 or 2 business days. They are really fast. As long as you have the broken phone to send back to them they will ship out a new phone asap. You can do the whole thing online.

A lost/stolen phone is what takes a long time, b/c then they want to make sure your not bull s***in them and really lost the phone.

If your phone still functions enough to turn on, connect it to your computer and get whatever you can off the phone in usb mode.

I heard that WebOS 1.2.x backup function will back up web bookmarks, if so, you can hold off until its released (hopefully very soon) and you will have that backed up to your palm profile for your new phone.
    WHat about my sms and photos? I want those badly.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Photos get backed up. SMS does not.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohens View Post
    I dont remember the palm profile backing up my picks when i got my 2nd pre.
    I did the same thing to my Pre as well recently:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...pre-water.html

Drying the Pre in rice worked for me. The touch screen is not quite the same, but the phone works fine....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohens View Post
    Photos do not get backed up. Everything in internal/media or is it media/internals..which ever is lost.
    Ive not doused my pre yet, but the last phone I did, I used my dryer.

Does your clothes dryer have the lint trap INSIDE? Mine did, and so I put my phone in there and ran the dryer cycle with a load of laundry (moisture in the laundry keeps the temperature lower). I then let it cool, and it worked great. It may not have been a Pre, but it was dropped into the kids bath, and I couldnt get at it quick enough (had to pick up infant, put him down in crib after patting him as dry as I could, then run back to bathroom!) and it was waterlogged something fierce. I took the battery off and poured as much out as I could first..

DO NOT PUT A BATTERY NEAR A HEAT SOURCE. An overheated lithium battery is dangerous, and heat will kill the battery if it manages to not explode.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtone View Post

If you want to pay a $100 deductible they will.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Ive not doused my pre yet, but the last phone I did, I used my dryer.

Does your clothes dryer have the lint trap INSIDE? Mine did, and so I put my phone in there and ran the dryer cycle with a load of laundry (moisture in the laundry keeps the temperature lower). I then let it cool, and it worked great. It may not have been a Pre, but it was dropped into the kids bath, and I couldnt get at it quick enough (had to pick up infant, put him down in crib after patting him as dry as I could, then run back to bathroom!) and it was waterlogged something fierce. I took the battery off and poured as much out as I could first..

DO NOT PUT A BATTERY NEAR A HEAT SOURCE. An overheated lithium battery is dangerous, and heat will kill the battery if it manages to not explode.

This sounds like just a terrible idea for the Pre...

I'm glad it worked for you though!
    Am I sol? I dropped it in a cup that had melt ice in it and i grabbed it out as soon as possibly. now its sitting off with the battery out. I ran the blow dryer on top of it but the phone ear piece sounds all staticy and the touch screen backlight is off and the screen itself was non responsive. Should i call and file an insurance claim?
    If you take your phone into sprint and try to hide the fact that it was dropped in water, they will probably replace it for a new one.
    Why don't you just use the Best Buy warranty with no deductible? It's supposed to be a fast turn around. I believe its 5 days, same program as the Iphone.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxBigJonxXx View Post
    If you take your phone into sprint and try to hide the fact that it was dropped in water, they will probably replace it for a new one.
    the Pre has a moisture sensor in it. I would assume most sprint (or any phone) employee is trained to check this sensor before swapping out a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    the Pre has a moisture sensor in it. I would assume most sprint (or any phone) employee is trained to check this sensor before swapping out a phone.
    Most phones have multiple moister sensors. Look at all the trouble the Apple had with the sensors on the Iphones activating off of sweat from people working out with them.
    Electronics tend to work fine for a short time after completely drying from a mishap like falling in water.
    Soon after though, rust-like cancer, eats away at it.
    note: warranty and insurance are two different things...
    I would fess up and claim the ins if you have it.
    I will have to double check my insurance policy after reading this
    its bound to happen to me eventually, it is a MOBILE phone for jeez sake,
    they can at least make it more water resistant.
    lets see,
    there's dropping it in a empty glass with some ice, talking in the rain,
    and it slipping off your shoulder while giving a tubby...
    I say we do it for the guy giving a tub.
    my heart goes out to both of you.

Which way to the java for dummies thread !?
    I keep my palm charging by the sink in the bathroom it's my only phone, and I can hear it ring any where in the house from there. Good acoustics. Any way, I hit the cord and it went in the sink full of hot tap water. I dove my hand it, finally got a hold of it and pulled it out not thinking about the thing being plugged in or getting fried.. ****** moment.

Any way, I pulled the plug out of it, and gave it a shake. the screen stayed lit. I figured screw it, pulled out the key board, wiped it off and turned on the music player. It played. Then I took the back off. I didn't wipe it off because I didn't want to put water where it already wasn't. Apparently the vibration from the music player helps the water disperse a lot quicker. The speaker was dry in 20/25 minutes. After an hour it was mostly dry out side. There was some condensation inside of the camera lens and a light streak of discoloration on the monitor. I plugged in the phone and left the music playing. It's been playing for almost 24 hours now. the camera lens is clear, even for picture taking, and the distortion on the monitor is gone. No problems with it working as a phone so far either. The volume has been turned up full blast, more vibration.

I don't know if this will help any one else, but that's my Palm Pre "Oops" donation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast