1.    #1  
    In the Summer of 1968, I was about to turn ten years old, and on TV there was a cool though mysterious British TV show on in place of summer reruns. It was called The Prisoner, and I really enjoyed the show. If you don't immediately recognize the show, try to remember a weird tv show about a spy who was held prisoner in a village with weird architecture who was continually trying to escape, and often pursued by a big balloon-shaped thing (the balloon is what most non-fans recognize--That even made it into a show parody on The Simpsons). When I got older, I remained a fan of the series, which had a lot of emphasis on freedom and individuality, and remains a cult classic. I even paid a pretty penny to get all 17 episodes on DVD!

The show is being remade in a modern version that will be shown on American Movie Classics (AMC) this Fall. To prepare the way, IFC is showing the episodes of the old show. They ran three back-to-back last night, and I watched them. To my surprise, I saw the Creepy Lady who is the subject of so much scorn here....I haven't seen a lot of these ads, but they were as we've discussed before, the lady acting very sedated and disturbed. Palm is sponsoring the show and using it to promote the Pre. IFC is mostly ad-free, but the Pre gets a short ad at the beginning of each show. I was happy to note that each ad did highlight something unique you can do with the Pre that most phones don't have. But I wish they'd focused even more on what you can do with it, rather than on the Creepy Lady!

Hopefully Palm didn't pay too much for this, since they only get a short ad before each program. But the sponsorship may may be quite a benefit, since people watching The Prisoner are likely to perceive themselves as independent people who don't follow the crowd, and I believe the Pre is targeting this market (obviously all of us here are much better than the sheep using iPhones and BlackBerries, right? ). I suspect many of the hardcore fans are my age (50) or over, which may expose the Pre to a user group that isn't as likely to hang out on tech-heavy sites like this one, or to swoon over details of the latest smart phone release. I hope it works for Pre, and I hope The Prisoner is a success!
    Last edited by MikeBinOK; 09/26/2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Correct the network showing the re-made version from IFC to AMC
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    hah! I don't get IFC, which is probably a good thing. I can't be wasting all of my time watching the prisoner.

I just hope that, despite the horrible advertising, the pre does well in the end. we really need more webOS phones so more developers will take notice. It annoys me every time I find a cool mobile app,and it's "on iphone and android, coming soon to blackberry" with no mention of webOS at all.

oh well... be seeing you
    Who is #1?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Who is #1?
    Classic!
    But was #6 really John Drake from the older Danger Man?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    But was #6 really John Drake from the older Danger Man?

McGoohan always insisted he was not John Drake. But he sure acted like him, and one of the episodes produced to fill things out at the end of the series actually used a Danger Man script with slight modifications!

I've read that McGoohan didn't own the rights to the John Drake character, and that might explain why he was so insistent that there was no relation between Drake and Number Six!

Incidentally, a friend who watched the shows and is more observant than I am tells me that the new version of The Prisoner will be shown on American Movie Classics (AMC) and not on IFC. Apparently that's what the promo said, but I was just assuming that it would be IFC and didn't notice the difference!
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Hope it is AMC. I don't get IFC.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Great show. To this day the theme music runs through my head on occasion. Thanks for the heads-up.
  9.    #9  
    The Prisoner is on IFC again tonight at 7 Central, and I'll be watching. Three episodes total. I'm curious if the Pre commercials will appear again. If they do, I've resigned myself to seeing the Creepy Lady again!
    Last edited by MikeBinOK; 10/02/2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK View Post
    The Prisoner is on IFC again tonight at 7 Central, and I'll be watching. Three episodes total. I'm curious if the Pre commercials will appear again. If they do, I've resigned myself to seeing the Creepy Lady again!
    I haven't seen her in a while. I almost miss her.