Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    First, I gotta say, I love this site and I don't even have a Pre. I've narrowed my search down to 3 different phones.

    Anyways, on to my question. I know that the Pre is tied into Gmail with the synergy. But what if I want to check my Yahoo mail. What would be the exact steps on a Pre? Would I have to type in yahoo.com, click on mail, log-in and then read my mail? Or is it easier than that?

    I do have a Gmail account but 99% of my email is Yahoo and the other 1% being Gmail.
  2. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #2  
    You can add Yahoo just like any other service provider in the email client.
  3.    #3  
    Once you add Yahoo in the email client what does that mean exactly? Is it then pushing emails to the Pre?
  4. smnc's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    I do have a Gmail account but 99% of my email is Yahoo and the other 1% being Gmail.
    Please don't take this as an insult, but WHY?
    My in-laws use Yahoo, and it drives me nuts.
    They're not even slightly computer savvy people, and I haven't been able to get them to switch, but I don't know anyone who's used both and still uses Yahoo.

    I don't want to to get into a Tirade of why I think gMail is better, so I'll just ask:
    Why do you use Yahoo instead?
  5. #5  
    Yahoo mail is push and uses IMAP:
    Push-IMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    when I see an alert for an email on my computer I see it at the same time or within seconds on my phone. Occasionally I see it on my phone before my computer.

    Synergy has to do with more then just email, with google and synergy (if you have it set as your default account) when you add new contacts in your phone or anything to your calendar it will be copied back out to your google address book or calendar.
    Yahoo is currently not synergy supported, but according to some information that came out when PIXI was being demoed, it looks like it will be soon. Hopefully with the next release.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by smnc View Post
    I don't want to to get into a Tirade of why I think gMail is better, so I'll just ask:
    Why do you use Yahoo instead?
    I'll answer this since I still have both.
    Because I've had a yahoo account for 10 years and all of my contacts have that address. I don't feel like communicating to everyone in my contact list that I have changed my email address, I know I could even link this in google, but why? My wife has a yahoo account, we both share our calendars and it all works fine. When is the last time you used yahoo mail? I know gmail has some better features like conversation view, but yahoo mail is not bad.
    Final reason, I rarely check my email on the computer anymore as I always check it on my phone. Do you think gmail somehow looks better on your phone then yahoo mail looks on your phone .
  7.    #7  
    No insult taken. Why? Well, I started with yahoo mail in the mid to late 90's. Got very comfortable with it and never really felt the need to change.



    Quote Originally Posted by smnc View Post
    Please don't take this as an insult, but WHY?
    My in-laws use Yahoo, and it drives me nuts.
    They're not even slightly computer savvy people, and I haven't been able to get them to switch, but I don't know anyone who's used both and still uses Yahoo.

    I don't want to to get into a Tirade of why I think gMail is better, so I'll just ask:
    Why do you use Yahoo instead?
  8. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #8  
    Short answer: Yahoo mail is covered by Synergy. So go ahead buy a Pre.
  9. #9  
    I use Yahoo mail with the Pre and it works great. I get new email alerts (it's not true push email yet but good enough) and I don't have to ever log in to view my emails. I don't think Yahoo mail would work any better on any other phone.

    By the way, I have Yahoo mail and Gmail and I prefer Yahoo mail.
  10. wodin's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim View Post
    By the way, I have Yahoo mail and Gmail and I prefer Yahoo mail.
    Me too, and I also have Hotmail, AOLMail, and Mail.com. I use them like categories, one account for personal mail, another for e-commerce, another for business, etc. But I prefer Hotmail over all of them, with the Hotmail connector it works REALLY well with Outlook, and I link all of my other accounts to it.

    Unfortunately Hotmail is a M$ product, and they have a competing phone OS, so I have a feeling that their Pre support may be a long time coming.

    Since the Pre only imports the Hotmail inbox and not all of my linked accounts, I have to set up separate accounts for the others.
  11. smnc's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    I'll answer this since I still have both.
    Because I've had a yahoo account for 10 years and all of my contacts have that address. I don't feel like communicating to everyone in my contact list that I have changed my email address, I know I could even link this in google, but why? My wife has a yahoo account, we both share our calendars and it all works fine. When is the last time you used yahoo mail? I know gmail has some better features like conversation view, but yahoo mail is not bad.
    Final reason, I rarely check my email on the computer anymore as I always check it on my phone. Do you think gmail somehow looks better on your phone then yahoo mail looks on your phone .
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    No insult taken. Why? Well, I started with yahoo mail in the mid to late 90's. Got very comfortable with it and never really felt the need to change.
    Good answers, both.
    For the record, I still maintain a Hotmail account from the old days (I was user number 40,096 lol) WAY before Microsoft took over. Anyway, I ended up with my own domain, and I've transitioned 99.9% of my mail away from Hotmail.
    I use gMail as my mail inbox/outbox and route all my mail through there.

    I haven't used Yahoo myself in many years, but having to deal with my inlaws has soured me on it, along with a few other things.
    For starters my mother in law's e-mail keeps bouncing e-mails with attachments over 2mb. I know that's well under the limit, but Yahoo support was no help at all figuring out why.
    I also just find it much harder to use and slower than my gMail when helping them with their e-mails.
    Lastly there was Yahoo's response to the government demand for information a while back. Yahoo couldn't hand it over fast enough, while Google worked to protect customer privacy.

    Anyway, I'm glad it works out well for you guys!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim View Post

    By the way, I have Yahoo mail and Gmail and I prefer Yahoo mail.
    yeah. me too. Yahoo has a nice interface. They just changed it recently that makes it even nicer.

Posting Permissions