Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I just got my Pre about 3 days ago, so I am still learning.

I want to watch movies on my Pre. I know that I need to convert the movie to MPEG-4, and I am using a program called DVDFab to do so. If any of you are familiar with this program, I am doing the DVD to Mobile option, then choosing the iPod option. This will convert to the MPEG-4 format.

A couple key notes.......I know that the video resolution needs to be as close as possible to 480x320, the closest option that I can choose with that program is 480x282.

I plugged my Pre up to my computer, chose the USB Drive option, then just drag & dropped the movie into a video folder that I created on the phone. The movie plays just fine, my problem is that the video quality was really not what I thought it would be. I have seen another guy who has a Pre and his video quality is a lot better that what I got with this setup. Now the audio sounded pretty good.......but can anyone help me with getting better video quality???

If I need to use a different program for converting that is cool, hopefully it is free.

Who can help me???
    I can't help you with DVDfab, but I can definitely help.

What you want is a free program called Handbrake.

It will rip DVD's to just about any format you want, and it will also convert videos you already have.

It has a preset for the iphone, which works perfectly on the Pre. At the default quality settings, the video looks AMAZING, but the files are around 1GB per movie.

You can change that by going to the quality setting tab, and changing it to "desired file size."

I find that the average movie still looks really great when I step down to a 500mb file size
    I don't use DVD Fab, but I do use DVD Catalyist. If Fab has a iPod or iPhone setting, you shouldn't need to do anything other than convert to that setting. It works great on my Device if I use iPod or palm setting. Convert, watch the movie, and see if you need to tweak the setting later.
    I use Xilisoft DVD ripper which has preset setting for iPhone vids and it works perfectly fine for the Pre as well. I also recommend Handbrake as the previous poster mentioned as a great free alternative...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    another vote for Handbrake.... results are really good quality movies.....

i just wish the process was quicker (yes, i know it's encoding every second of the movie and your speed will vary on the power of your pc)....
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I use Xilisoft DVD ripper which has preset setting for iPhone vids and it works perfectly fine for the Pre as well. I also recommend Handbrake as the previous poster mentioned as a great free alternative...
    Xilisoft...I love it! Used to use DVDFab, myself, and was going to purchase it until they jacked their prices up unreasonably with the latest version...no thanks!

I don't remember ever having any issues with the quality of Fab rips, though.
    I tried both dvd fab and handbrake and can only get the video but no sound... can anyone help on that one???
    Gonna use handbrake. Good info guys. Never heard of it till now but it sounds pretty good.
    I use "Leawo Video Converter" This produces excellent video and has many options to optimize either the video or audio content.
    Just a side note..when Palm went to WebOS 1.1 I noticed all my volume levels dropped by 1/2. Therefore when copying music or movies you may want to increase the volume level. In my case using the above program I increased the volume to 500%. I haven't noticed any distortion at this level, and the volume is now at the level it should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    What you want is a free program called Handbrake.

It will rip DVD's to just about any format you want, and it will also convert videos you already have.
    I've tried to use Handbrake several times now, but while it seems to work fine on some .avi clips I have on my laptop, it will not rip any store-bought dvd I own (or at least the 3 or so that I tried). It seems like it wants you to run it through some kind of dvd decryption process first. I have a laptop with Windows XP, but I have a friend with a Mac who rips almost any dvd he wants with Handbrake. Is this a Windows limitation? Those of you who use Handbrake, do you all have Macs or is there something that I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
    I use DVD Fab5, choose DVD to Mobile. Select iPod. Then choose the longest option for the tracks (it normally selects it for you automatically). Audio=English. I don't select anything under this box where there is an option for subtitles. Click Next. Click on Conversion settings. Then select iTouch as your iPod choice. It automatically selects everything else for you. It selected 480x208. I upped the volume a bit which is at 128kbps. Then start it, let it do it's thing and then transfer to the Pre. It works well for me. Audio and video is nice. Depending on the movie, you can cause more of a letterbox option if you click on the lower right button on the pre's screen when you're watching a movie (it will appear when you touch the screen). This will cause the video to get even sharper. I've also used Magic DVD ripper. Select for Touch or iPhone and it seems to do all the rest. Good Luck
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Handbrake won't do decryption at all.

So... you have two options: decrypt with one program, then convert the ISO with Handbrake, or use another program (like DVDFab) in its entirety.

I go with option one.
    DVD Catalyst has a free version that decrypts and converts. Select the iPhone screen size, select the file size you want, then click. It's never failed to produce excellent results for me.
    I use Wondershare Video Converter to convert mine to mp4 or it also has an Iphone setting it works as well. The quality is amazing I have people come up to me and can't believe how good it works. It's really easy to use and it ends up about 721mb for a long movie and like I said the quality is the best I've seen on a phone. There are plenty of programs to use out there a lot of free ones, Super easy vid converter, AVG even has one I think, I use Wondeshare personally but as long as it's MPEG-4/ MP4 format your good to go.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I stumbled on a great free tool that works fantastic for me and produces great looking video that works perfectly on my pre at bit rates as low or lower than 400 kbps. And it converts way faster than handbrake has for me. My converted movies are from 400MB to 600MB in size.

Free Zune Video Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It's designed for zune, but works great for producing mp4 files that play on the pre. It only takes existing files for input, so you would have to use something like handbrake do rip video to a file if it's from dvd. I just use the MP4 setting (H.264/AAC) and set the aspect ratio to Auto or 480x320 (it will automatically adjust to the correct height for other ratios even when you have 320 selected).
    Last edited by twotone; 09/26/2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added Movie file sizes
  16.    #16  
    Thank you everyone for your info and help. I have found a way that works for me and the quality is great.

I first use DVDFab to rip the DVD. Then use Handbrake to convert the VideoTS folder that was created from the rip. The quality is awesome.

I also download alot of TV shows from torrent files. Most times these files are downloaded in .avi format. I was happy to find out that Handbrake does a wonderful job of converting .avi files as well.
    I have tried 3 different types of converters and still cant get this to work. it keeps saying that i have an error. what gives?
  18.    #18  
    Makokiller, have you figured out how to rip a movie using DVDFab??
    I used videora for the pre and also for ipod. Both worked great but take a really long time (I have only done 2 because each one took 4 hours to prepare for the player.) If you go to the site it has a decrypt program that it suggests you use first before converting the file to be used on the pre. I decided that it took too much room on my pre, so I now use it to put on my ipod (32gig).
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzk3 View Post
    Handbrake won't do decryption at all.

So... you have two options: decrypt with one program, then convert the ISO with Handbrake, or use another program (like DVDFab) in its entirety.

I go with option one.
    That's really interesting considering that I've watched my friend rip almost any dvd he wants on his Mac with Handbrake. Maybe 1 out of 20 is rejected, but the rest rip in one step without any problem. There's gotta be something different between the PC version and the Mac version.

Anyway, no matter. I stumbled across a program called Format Factory, which is free, and I've had very few problems ripping dvds in one step with that. It's got iPhone presets that work very well for the Pre, and it does other file conversions as well. All in all, I'm very happy to have one program that does what I want it to do in one step. I'd have been willing to pay for that, so getting it for free just makes it that much better. =)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast