Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    I understand that things happen. If my service goes out for two hours after a storm I get that.

I just realized I've been mis-calculating how long I've been without service. It's actually been about 30 hours now. And there hasn't been a storm. I don't see that as something that's just the nature of the beast.

Cool, thanks. I have the everything 450 plan, would enabling data roaming potentially cost extra per month?
    I would think, even if your plan didn't cover roaming, that you could argue the point of their towers being down as a valid use of roaming without extra charges. Though it sounds like you aren't getting much coverage anyways on roaming.

I didn't get great Verizon service at my house anyway. Shouldn't I be able to make calls and receive texts over WiFi?
    From reading other threads, my understanding is no, you can't. I think I read even Google voice will come across as a call, and not route through wifi.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    From reading other threads, my understanding is no, you can't. I think I read even Google voice will come across as a call, and not route through wifi.
    That's unfortunate. One of the biggest selling points for me was making calls over Wi-Fi since my the service at my house is spotty.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    i work for rs and our phones are not refurb, spint corp stores dont like us because are phones are cheapier and they miss out on the commision/sales.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levitate View Post
    i work for rs and our phones are not refurb, spint corp stores dont like us because are phones are cheapier and they miss out on the commision/sales.
    That reminds me, I didn't mention this in the initial post but the Sprint Employees' recommendation to me was to take the Pre back to Radio Shack and buy one from them. Of course the Sprint store "luckily" had one Pre left.

Super sketch. They anointed the "problem" as being the "poor quality" Radio Shack phone without knowing anything about what happened. And somehow an entire store dedicated to selling Sprint phones somehow had just one Pre in stock.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    No wifi calls right now, no microphone access in the SDK. I'm sure as soon as there is, there'll be a skype app or something similar. Right now they all use the cell towers to do it.

Maybe install the roam only tweak in WebOS Quick Install and see if that'll work for you.
    Roam only is nice on the battery, but ur data is slow. No evdo and sprint tv is a no go...not that I usually use it. My pc is down till tomorrow and with no flash i'm left with sprint tv. Without roam only I'm gonna burn through juice and see nothing put pixels......I should have saved listening to the palmcast till tonight
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I work for a corporate Sprint store. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience on down towers where you have difficulties having signal in your area. There so many things that can happen for the signal problems, in which the case was down towers. it happens. The reason we Sprint employees don't like the third parties such as radio Shack, or other third party stores, is because of commission, obviously. Another is that any problem they do encounter, they do not know the answer for that and immediately they send the customers to a Sprint Store to fix the issue and not to waste their time fixing it. We hate that. I know we are supposed to be united as one, but the reality is another one. Not all the third party stores are bad, is just that there are some "shaddy" ones that do want to get the activation and not to handle the issue. If any customer have purchased any phone from a third party dealer, please do ask the warranty time, return policy, and handling of any issues. Any purchase from a third party dealer must return or exchange at the same location they purchased it.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aquipower View Post
    I work for a corporate Sprint store. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience on down towers where you have difficulties having signal in your area. There so many things that can happen for the signal problems, in which the case was down towers. it happens. The reason we Sprint employees don't like the third parties such as radio Shack, or other third party stores, is because of commission, obviously. Another is that any problem they do encounter, they do not know the answer for that and immediately they send the customers to a Sprint Store to fix the issue and not to waste their time fixing it. We hate that. I know we are supposed to be united as one, but the reality is another one. Not all the third party stores are bad, is just that there are some "shaddy" ones that do want to get the activation and not to handle the issue. If any customer have purchased any phone from a third party dealer, please do ask the warranty time, return policy, and handling of any issues. Any purchase from a third party dealer must return or exchange at the same location they purchased it.
    Thanks for the insight. Sounds like a communication problem between the third party stores as far as who is responsible for what job.

It wasn't just the down towers that inconvenienced me, but the lack of motivation by the Sprint store employees to troubleshoot my issue. Instead they blamed Radio Shack without bothering to find out what happened. Then they "recommended" re-purchasing a phone through them.
    I know this has already semi been cleared, But as a Radio Shack employee, We don't even sell refurb phones as refurbs anymore. We stopped doing that last year. As soon as a phone is returned, we are REQUIRED to put it on our repair shelf, to then be sent off for repair, from which i guess they send them to i don't know where. I just know we don't even recieve refurbs anymore. I understand what the sprint corporate employee is saying and agree completely about commission. It can even get bad between fellow employees(not cool i know, but it happens).

I can honestly say, i probably know more about the pre than anyone else who sells them within fifty miles, thanks ONLY to this site and you people So i try not to send people back to the "sprint" store for troubleshooting. Only in extreme circumstances do i send them to the repair center.

I think it is hilarious that those stupid sprint employees would say something so uneducated. (stupid people)

By the way. What would cause 3 towers to go down simultaneously in one area? I have never heard of that.
    That reminds me, I didn't mention this in the initial post but the Sprint Employees' recommendation to me was to take the Pre back to Radio Shack and buy one from them. Of course the Sprint store "luckily" had one Pre left.

Super sketch. They anointed the "problem" as being the "poor quality" Radio Shack phone without knowing anything about what happened. And somehow an entire store dedicated to selling Sprint phones somehow had just one Pre in stock.
    I can agree with him, I to work for radioshack and if we were to sell you a refurb phone we would of told you, but from wat has happen to you is a problem with the service not the phone. The problem should clear soon, but there is nothin else that can be done.

And the sprint store does hate rs or bestbuy since a lot of ppl avoid them due to their customer service, well at least in our area
    Quote Originally Posted by aquipower View Post
    Watch your mouth, buddy. I spend most of my time FIXING the problems your store causes, or says that "your hands are tied". It's like you guys weren't trained in customer retention. Even better, you guys don't bother to optimize anyone's plan! Hell, if I had a 200 dollar bill for 3 lines with no unlimited data or something, I'd think the competition was cheaper too! You don't check for discounts(Almost everyone can get the AOL discount since you only need to be a member) and all you care is about them signing that two-year contract and leave someone like me, to deal with the aftermath of your lack of intelligence in some very basic issues that might just make a customer cancel! I guess thats what happens when you're only paid minimum, huh?

Last time I checked, in my area, we are also the ONLY Sprint Service Center, meaning we'll actually fix your phone and diagnose it compared to what you guys do and just instantly push out eTickets and make said customer wait for a couple days for their device to come in. So you know what, think before you speak. There are plenty of great third party stores, and I'd like to think we're one of them. I personally have a 0 returns in my 4 month tenure at my store, selling over 50 new phones and 30 upgrades. I deal with all my customers in a personal but professional manner and encourage them to ask questions and to bring up issues that they have with their service and hardware within our 30 day return policy so as to give me the greatest flexibility in fixing their issue. Do you? Probably not. So don't be dissing the third-parties. In some rights, we're what make people stay with Sprint because corporate is too lazy to fix these issues.
    Hmm i live in san diego and didnt have any problems today
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ia517 View Post
    Hmm i live in san diego and didnt have any problems today
    Where in San Diego? I'm in the Point Loma / OB area.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Edit: A reset seems to have helped. I have service! Just got about 800 worried text messages from my girlfriend, haha.
    Last edited by cfbauer; 09/26/2009 at 02:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I never said all the third party store are bad. I said some of them, and also You do not see the traffic of people we see stating that they purchased their phone thru a third party store and still within the 30 days return/exchange period, they would not let the customer either return it nor exchange it. Sprint last year closed down about 300 third party store due to many causes and issues. I know our customer service on the phone is not the best, but it is our only one. We get all kind of customers trying to get one over us, and don't tell me Best buy or Radioshack employees optimized customers plans to make it cheaper, nor billing issues after they purchased a phone from a third party retailers. Of course is easier to add a line or upgrade a phone, and leave the billing issues to a corporate store or customer service, because after 30 days of the warranty, you won't see them again with their billing issues. We spend more time fixing bill issues than selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nshave8881 View Post
    By the way. What would cause 3 towers to go down simultaneously in one area? I have never heard of that.
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I should answer this question, because it's a good one (and i just happen to know the answer )
    A fiber-optic cable probably had been cut. If it was underground, it's likely that a construction crew, digging with a backhoe in the street, accidentally hit the cable that's used for the communications towers.
    This happens more often than one might expect. I know this because I am one of the people that works on these fiber-optic cables.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Stop replying to 3 month old threads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12