View Poll Results: Has 1.2 jumped the shark?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it most certainly has!

57 62.64%
  • Nope, it hasn't!

34 37.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nah, the third option should be "go punch yourself in the nards"
    I'll say this, while the phrase doesn't even make sense applied to a software update, the threads discussing 1.2 jumped the shark a while ago.
    what on earth does that even mean?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    LOL!! Shark with frickin lazar beams
    chuck norris is going to eat the shark
    for breakfast
    Quote Originally Posted by Prelude Ron View Post
    what on earth does that even mean?
    This link will explain everything you need to know about the phrase "jump the shark."
    The definition, per Wikipedia:
    ....Jumping the shark is a colloquialism coined by Jon Hein and used by TV critics and fans to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations. This usually corresponds to the point where a show with falling ratings apparently becomes more desperate to draw in viewers. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak.

The origin:
    An idiom often used in the film and television world is "jumping the shark". A reference to the episode of Happy Days, in which Fonzie, on water-skis, jumps over a shark, it is used to denote that tipping point at which a long-running franchise has become just too silly, and will be rubbish ever after.

This means:
    The O.P. certainly misused the phrase.

The truth:
    In a weird way, all the 1.2 and 1.2.1 speculation and joking kind of seems as over the top as "jumping the shark."

VeeDubb:
    Thanks for the illustration...classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmakar169 View Post
    The definition, per Wikipedia:.....

Aw... Come on now. You're spoiling the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Aw... Come on now. You're spoiling the fun.
    But I was so bored with checking for OTA updates that I just had some free time!
    A reference to the episode of Happy Days, in which Fonzie, on water-skis, jumps over a shark, it is used to denote that tipping point at which a long-running franchise has become just too silly, and will be rubbish ever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Thanks to that pic I may be laughing too hard to get any sleep tonight!
    Last edited by jmakar169; 09/26/2009 at 02:39 AM.
    I do feel some people are overhyping it to the max.
    I like ice cream.

BTW: Jump the shark is mainly used for TV shows.
    Shark would taste pretty good with a nice pale ale right now.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I totally loved how your response showed exactly what I was feeling at this point in the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post

Thanks for links and explanations.

While I agree the usage here isn't totally correct, I think we get what the OP was trying to ask. In my opinion, Palm themselves aren't responsible for jumping any sharks - in fact - they've tried to control/downplay publicity/promises for this release as much as possible. I do feel like PreCentral might have got themselves a bit stuck into this shark jumping routine (not by their own fault - they were just reporting news). The only way out of this will be when Palm actually releases the 1.2.x update we've been hoping for.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  17.    #37  
    The definition, per Wikipedia:
    ....Jumping the shark is a colloquialism coined by Jon Hein and used by TV critics and fans to denote the point in a television program's history where the plot veers off into absurd story lines or out-of-the-ordinary characterizations. This usually corresponds to the point where a show with falling ratings apparently becomes more desperate to draw in viewers. In the process of undergoing these changes, the TV or movie series loses its original appeal. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak.

The origin:
    An idiom often used in the film and television world is "jumping the shark". A reference to the episode of Happy Days, in which Fonzie, on water-skis, jumps over a shark, it is used to denote that tipping point at which a long-running franchise has become just too silly, and will be rubbish ever after.

This means:
    The O.P. certainly misused the phrase.

The truth:
    In a weird way, all the 1.2 and 1.2.1 speculation and joking kind of seems as over the top as "jumping the shark."

VeeDubb:
    Thanks for the illustration...classic!
    I'm getting a kick out of this on this lovely Saturday morning. Here's the question as I phrased it in the OP (as opposed to the poll question itself):

"Simple question: do you believe that discussion and speculation around the release of WebOS V1.2.X has completely jumped the shark?"

So, really, I think I used the phrase perfectly.

What I was really trying to do, though (because I was bored with a project at work) was see how many folks would recognize the phrase "jump the shark." Worked beautifully.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Although this saying was made popular a long time ago, I've been told that Howard Stern uses this saying quite often, so I am guessing that the OP listens to Howard Stern a tad bit too much.

That or he watches Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, and saw the episode where Johnny goes to the US to "Jump a shark" and dies.

No matter what he/she meant, I think they want to know what's happening with 1.2.......join the queue with the lot of other Preemies who are anxiously awaiting the release.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I, for one have learned something about shark jumping. Thanks wynand32, now if I can figger out how to work the phrase into everyday conversation ...
    Sorry buddy but you are using "Jump the Shark" in the wrong context.

The expression comes from the show "Happy Days" when Fonzie was water skiing and jumped a shark. It was so out of character that is was obvious they were hurting for ratings and completely sold out and compromised the integrity of the character

"Jump the Shark" = Sell out
    There is no spoon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast