Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I am surprised that there is no mention of any way to completely backup the Pre incase of total destruction

We had this with the Treo w/ Hotsync and 3rd party software that would backup to a sd-card..

I am really worried if I lose/brick or break a Pre, the sprint software only does a little! Bookmarks, contact association, password, settings are gone! So are music and pictures. I know the missing sync does some, but not much

Is anyone working on this?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I've heard many ask for such a feature but have not heard of anyone working on such a solution. Synergy syncing I can see usefull to some but is of little use to me. I need a full 100% backup of my device. Syncing Outlook and other programs is great but the lack of a full backup of all settings, applications etc. is not good.
    The absence of a true backup solution is the one thing that occasionally makes me want to connect my Pre to a hammer. I knew there was no true backup when I bought the Pre, but was "sure" it would be available in short order. If I had know how wrong I was, I would still be using my old phone, waiting for the backup app before buying a Pre.

I have had to replace once and do a hard/full reset a couple of times. Restoring music and photos is not too bad -- simply resync the music and copy the photos, etc. But going through each app to reconfigure one-by-one is a royal pain in the neck. And some application data is nearly impossible to restore ... Snippets, password data base apps, etc. That info is simply gone.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Will the Pre 2 (if there is one) have an microSD slot? One of the issues that caused me to hesitate. On my last phone I ALWAYS had those irrplaceable settings and data either resident on or backed up to SD.

I know, not much proof against loss, but it saved me once when my Mugul took a bath in the cats' water dish.
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska View Post
    The absence of a true backup solution is the one thing that occasionally makes me want to connect my Pre to a hammer. I knew there was no true backup when I bought the Pre, but was "sure" it would be available in short order. If I had know how wrong I was, I would still be using my old phone, waiting for the backup app before buying a Pre.

I have had to replace once and do a hard/full reset a couple of times. Restoring music and photos is not too bad -- simply resync the music and copy the photos, etc. But going through each app to reconfigure one-by-one is a royal pain in the neck. And some application data is nearly impossible to restore ... Snippets, password data base apps, etc. That info is simply gone.
    I'm hoping that they allow 3rd party apps to sync to the palm profile. They implemented bookmrk and histry backup in the browser with the leaked 1.2, so palm profile could easily hand app sync, imo.
    did yall not read the front page of precentral . the missing sync for windows is available now for a kool 40 bucks .... lol its just to much for something that should come with the phone though
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Will the Pre 2 (if there is one) have an microSD slot?
    Nobody outside of Palm could possibly know that, and people who do know, are almost certainly working under NDA's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    did yall not read the front page of precentral . the missing sync for windows is available now for a kool 40 bucks .... lol its just to much for something that should come with the phone though
    Um, yes, I did read the release regarding The Missing Sync for Windows (http://www.precentral.net/missing-sync-windows-released). Did you? I even went to the Mark/Space web page (The Missing Sync for Palm Pre, for Windows XP and Windows Vista) with very high hopes ... that were quickly dashed. TMS is not a complete backup solution. Specifically, it does not backup the items I mentioned in my earlier post.

I already have various means of backing up all the data/files that the Missing Sync covers, except for web bookmarks, using various free backup methods described elsewhere in the forums (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-your-pre.html). Yes, The Missing Sync has some convenience features, but it still doesn't back up the things that I mentioned in my post. I need something that will backup application settings, and all the application data that TMS doesn't see or backup. In short, TMS still leaves HUGE holes in my backup needs.

We need a solution that backs up EVERYTHING -- every single setting, preference, etc. And it needs to be able to make incremental or differential backups like any normal backup program. Since I use Exchange, I should be able to exclude Outlook/mail/calendar/contact items (for me, that stuff is already in the cloud). If I have to replace my Pre, a true backup solution would allow me to restore to the new Pre and not be able to find any difference between the two. If somebody comes up with a true, full backup solution for the Pre, I will gladly pay $40 for it.
    dude the missing sync is like ten times better than anything else out there right now , and no i dont want to pay for it either but yes i can read and your not more im portant than anyone else in here. we all want a back up solution. but just because it does not do exactly what you want does not mean it isnt a great tool for most who are not worried about the tiny little things . the most important things are covered in the app. but man at a price that i dont want to pay for sure and probably wont pay .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I have to agree that we need some kind of backup solution for the Pre. I want an NVBackup for the Pre like we used on the Treos. And you don't have to wait for an SD Card. Seems like one of you programming gurus could write some simple batch program that would copy the internal files to a backup folder in the USB drive, or to PC hard disk. If it just copies to the USB drive, it would be easy enough to then backup the USB Drive backup folder over to my PC. In fact, I already have a small batch file that does that automatically for me.

I actually keep 3 rolling backup copies of the USB drive side of my Pre already. Just in case anyone is interested in doing this, I will attach the batch files I use for your use too. I use MS Richcopy instead of the SyncToy or SyncBack suggested in the backup thread. Richcopy does incremental copy so it only copies what is new or changed since the last backup. It is also multi-threaded, so it copies multiple files in parallel, instead of one after the next in serial like most copy utilities. The first backup may take a while if you have a lot of music loaded on your Pre like me, but subsequent backups will be very fast. Just download richcopy.exe from Microsoft or many of the other host online. Then just download these txt files and rename from *.txt to *.bat. Hope this helps someone else...

And please one of you unix programmers step up and take on this little challenge.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I, personally, have little use for a backup solution. I don't really keep any data on the phone that doesn't live in the cloud as well. It's one of the major features of the phone.

I think that's the point that Palm is trying to get across and it's why they haven't focused on a "hotsync" type solution.

Granted, that doesn't cover every use-case, but no device really does at the end of the day.

The pre isn't a treo. If you want a treo, buy a treo (or another Winmo device). The way a treo works isn't the way a pre works and vice-versa.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    If you have a way of getting pre-existing contacts and their info into the cloud without manually re-entering hundreds of contacts. Please share.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    If you have a way of getting pre-existing contacts and their info into the cloud without manually re-entering hundreds of contacts. Please share.

All of mine live in Exchange or Google. They have been in the cloud for years. Otherwise, I'm sure you could export them from however you have them now and import them fairly easily.

If they are in your pre now, they are in the cloud by default as-is.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    Like Gompers mentioned. Just export your contacts out of whatever app you are currently usng to a CSV file. almost every contact manager app can do that. Then just import that CSV file into gmail. If you don't have a gmail account, get one. they are free and are the best out there IMO. THen just point your Pre to your gmail account for contacts. All done.
    I just hate having to re-link the contacts. It should be able to backup EXACTLY as my contacts are right now.

Seeing as how I've had to exchange the phone quite a few times so far, it's just a pain to go through and re-link all the AIM stuff.
    GMail and Exchange contacts re-link automatically. No need to manually re-enter anything.
    i use sync toy to back up in usb mode, but just what does it really back up im not quite sure ,it would be nice if it covers everything lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I guess I should have been more clear. Yes, my contacts exist in the cloud. In the Palm Pre Profile and therefore they're online. I had forgotten this point I suppose. I was referring to my inability to get them from the Palm Profile to Outlook and/or Gmail. The way I have it set up now is that only new contacts will be sent to Gmail Contacts. My previously existing contacts that have existed on all my previous phones and the ones that Sprint manually transfered over for me will not sync with Gmail contacts.

Aslo as for a complete backup solution Webos-internals.org has an article on setting up rSync to backup your entire PRE. I mean entire!!!!
    Just figured I'd pop in here and let you all know I'll almost certainly be attempting integrating backup into a future version of either webos quick install, or a separate new app. No ETA, as I'm working on several other projects for a while yet. Plus there's lots needed to be figured out beforehand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just figured I'd pop in here and let you all know I'll almost certainly be attempting integrating backup into a future version of either webos quick install, or a separate new app. No ETA, as I'm working on several other projects for a while yet. Plus there's lots needed to be figured out beforehand.
    just please dont charge 40 bucks please please please , and thank you thank you thank you , Jason you rock!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast