Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    Add me to the list of those that would love to have a complete backup utility. I had the screen issue with my Pre last night that scared me, wondering if I had a complete backup of everything on my Pre. I use TMS for Pre that could restore calendar, contacts, photos, various files (using folder sync under TMS), but other custom settings and third party programs and data don't get backed up properly.

I'm going to see what the homebrew app Pre Backup Utility can do and what it gets.

Regardless, using multiple steps for backups and restores seems a bit much. Hoping HP looks into expanding with something official, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I would like this too. Restore my Pre after it has been doctored is a pain.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want this ability.

The Pre is pretty great in many ways, but there are some major functionality issues that Treo had covered that seem to stop the Pre in it's tracks. Which is frustrating to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    I, personally, have little use for a backup solution. I don't really keep any data on the phone that doesn't live in the cloud as well. It's one of the major features of the phone.

I think that's the point that Palm is trying to get across and it's why they haven't focused on a "hotsync" type solution.

Granted, that doesn't cover every use-case, but no device really does at the end of the day.

The pre isn't a treo. If you want a treo, buy a treo (or another Winmo device). The way a treo works isn't the way a pre works and vice-versa.
    Until the day you forget to back up 'my contacts' before nuking 'all contacts' in gmail. Good luck getting them back. As soon as webos does its first sync, they will all be gone. Yeah. I've done that.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want this ability.

The Pre is pretty great in many ways, but there are some major functionality issues that Treo had covered that seem to stop the Pre in it's tracks. Which is frustrating to say the least.
    I agree . That's why I bit the bullet and got pocket mirror. My contacts are worth protecting and I like the way outlook maintains categories. So I spent the money to continue desktop sync like the good old days.
    This is my hope: Shadow Protect for WebOS.

see post on SP's forum: Smartphone solution? - StorageCraft Support Center
    I see pandas.
    After having my Pre replaced a couple of times, and (white knuckle time!) getting my data back over-the-air, it finally happened: Even though my Pre - which developed a bad voice transceiver, it appears - said it was fully backed up, it was NOT. Palm, despite several hours of effort from their supposedly-highest-level support team, couldn't get anything substantive back for me. This was several months ago, and every week I discover more that's missing from my contacts and notes.

Luckily I had kept the old Pre and, since it was not fully hosed, have been able to get the missing data off it using 3rd party tools.

SHAME on Palm, and now HP, and on Sprint for telling us to "Trust the Cloud". We IT professionals know how risky that can be. We miss Palm Desktop, and that is the exact reason why.
    Any IT professional should know better than to trust all their data to a single source.

Especially one that has been well documented as being somewhat unreliable when there are numerous options. Getting your PIM data synced between your Pre, the cloud, and the desktop application of you choice with no additional software is so easy as to be trivial.

Having your PIM data tied to your Palm profile is only there as an alternative for cave-men who didn't have an email address before they got their Pre.

Frankly, what palm needs to do isn't to improve their data servers. What they need to do is provide the ability to move contacts, etc from one account to another from within the phone, and then release an update that forces people to move all their contacts to another account.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    So.... still nothing? It's been over 2 years and no one has made a complete backup solution for the Pre?

If there is, I can't find it. I'll keep searching but if someone has knowledge of an app that can make an image backup of one pre and restore it to another pre handset please let me know.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234